Old Magnovox Magnificent...Craig, Mark, et al...any thoughts?

Mallette

Found this 1959 Magnavox Magnificent Model 2SP281K on a bit of a junk hunt with the PAW today.  The one with the hand in the TT is NOT the actual unit, but a better picture than I got of the same model.   It has a tuner/preamp, separate power amp, and what may be...but doesn't show in the schematic...a separate phono preamp next to the amp.

What do you guys think?  It's 75.00, but the other speaker wasn't there.  Of course, I wouldn't really care as it might be a nice project to have the amps restored and use it in the cabinet to drive other speakers, etc.  Tube complement and such is pretty clear and I think the image is big enough to zoom on.  Must have been serious at the time with a 3 way speaker with 15" woofer.

post-7390-0-69340000-1420758379_thumb.jp

post-7390-0-20220000-1420758452_thumb.jp

Also found this interesting Phillips table FM stereo and multiband radio at another place which may hold unfound treasures.  We only shopped the ground floor and the owners said they had 28 rooms (old hotel) upstairs full of stuff.  We'll be baaaack...

post-7390-0-41940000-1420759184_thumb.jp

The only thing I purchase was this Taylor barometer.  Excellent working order and 45.00.  Didn't even dicker...fair price.

post-7390-0-56260000-1420759270_thumb.jp

Dave

Edited by Mallette
  • Like 1

The amplifier appears to be a 6V6 PP stereo unit, with a 5U4 rectifier and choke in the power supply. You could do like you said, or yank the amp and use it as a separate power amplifier.

To bad you couldn't  find the matching extension speaker for stereo...they come up on CL around here sometimes, the last one being a Motorola if I recall...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s_KL4y8NtI

Edited by mike stehr

Well, I use an antique amp and like it a lot.  Question for me is whether that amp and preamp would be worthy if restored.   As I mentioned, I don't care anything about collecting vintage consoles, but I'd be happy with a couple of Marantz 5s...

Dave

For that price I'd pick it up.  I've restored quite a number of those (the last one was used to drive a pair of Paradigm Studio 100s in a fairly large room), and they are decent performers.  With a couple of pots installed to act as input level attenuators, it can be driven directly by a CD player.  The cost of restoration, assuming you don't go for exotic capacitors, is minimal.  Once done, you could easily blow it out on Ebay and recoup your whole investment.

Maynard

Thanks, Maynard and all.  I may let fate decide.  As mentioned, there's more in the mine and we may only have tapped the surface.  We intend to get back in the next month or so for a more in-depth look.  Really wish there was a good way to get basic training in tube electronics around here as I have at least a modicum of ability to understand such things and think I could be at least competent enough not to electrocute myself or let the magic smoke out of things.

Dave

If you are afraid you may be buying a money pit, shoot them a "I don't want to buy it" number like 25 bucks, then come up to 50 if you really want it. 

If it's there the next month when you go back, it's probably not on on the "top ten hot sale items" list.