Cat issue with modified Khorns

absolve2525

"I buy earplugs by the case"

Foam doesn't last forever, don't buy so many that they go bad on you.

I think my Case is around 10 years old.  Keep them in the case out in the shop, and bring in a pocketful when needed.  Even if what is still in there is bad.  And their Not.  I still come out on the price break over the one at a time'r or   get the case with 75% discount  .     So far these are the oldest ear plugs I've had at around 10 years and they seem to be like new.

Dr Morbius, on 15 Jan 2015 - 1:39 PM, said:

Mighty, you must be one heck-uv-a animal trainer.  Wish I had the skills/insight to be able to energize my/our 3 (rescue) cats more.  They are great cats, it's just that the lifestyle my wife and I have is likely very boring to them!  Truth is, they deserve more stimulation than we provide.  Have tried the laser light, the Wahlgreen yellow nylon contraption with the rotating mouse tail, and an assortment of other typical cat toys.  Nothing seems to energize them too much…….

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________

We adopted an elderly Persian female.  Very well behaved.    Well no one taught this old kitty how to hunt I guess.  My other cats would teach the younger addition to their group how to hunt and sometimes hunt together, sharing kills and bonding as such.

Anyhow the older kitty will go out into the yard, or try to hide right by the bird feeder.  Never a mouse or a bird does she catch.

One day while feeling sorry for her I thought I should buy her one of those feeder mice they sell in pet shops.  Never have done it though,  Just seemed too much like the canned hunts.  I'd love to see her catch a mouse or even a bird.  Her times running out, but this is one she has to do on her own.

Try getting a Pitbull.

Dogs are a product of their environment and upbringing much like people.  American Pit bulls were once dubbed "nannies" and were left as companions to children.

nannypitbulls.jpg

From what I've see.  Pitbulls can be very affectionate and gentle dogs.  A friend of my son had had a couple.  One of them would even play tug a war where you held his tongue and you both pulled.  Yea kinda strange.    The dog served surveillance inside the body shop they had.  I never seen them growl or miss behave.

Before I was in grade school we'd go  camping with family friends.  They had this little hairy fur ball that would watch over us kids when they left camp.  We usually had a fire going, and the lake was maybe a hundred feet.  None of us ever got hurt, or in trouble while that dog looked after us.

Edited by Taz

Dogs are a product of their environment and upbringing much like people.  American Pit bulls were once dubbed "nannies" and were left as companions to children.

nannypitbulls.jpg

CECAA, don't know where you found that photo.  The baby, of course is cute and good looking and sweet.  That DOG, on the other hand, is fantastic looking.  Obviously powerful, beautifully marked, and intelligent looking!

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

Aw, those sure are cute pit bulls.  So is this one, named "Fat Boy."  What a cute name!  Just look at his cute doggy face.  :)

d702584b3d3b9e10e3d2d2375a96b51b.jpg?ito

Fat Boy killed his owner.

Reports NWI.com out of Indiana Dec. 26, 2014: “A Portage man was found dead in his home Thursday night after suffering massive blood loss from dog bites to his arms and face by his pit bull, according to Porter County Coroner Chuck Harris. Police said what appeared to be blood was visible on the floor around Cahill's body, on the carpet, walls and furniture.”

The pit bull that attacked Cahill, named “Fat Boy,” had to be tasered by a police officer after an animal control officer was unable to get the trap line around the dog’s neck. The pit bull was later euthanized at the Hobart Humane Society something that Cahill’s wife had urged him to do in the past.

There must be some reason German Shepard's St. Bernard's or other large dogs don't kill their owners, family members or other dogs on a regular basis, just pit bulls.  Does environment really explain it, or could it be something inherent to the nature of the breed?

Edited by wvu80

By the way……I was kidding about the Pitbull, about the only dog I don't like (very ugly to me). On the whole, I like dogs, love cats. Cats are very cool, but you have to understand them. Some people will never figure them out.

I think one of the biggest issues people have with cats is they have the perception that they are animated stuffed animals and treat them as such thinking they are just cute fluffy little things and then wonder why their furniture, hands etc get destroyed. Cats are in fact highly intelligent, vicious apex predators that communicate via advanced body language, scent markings and vocals. You need an outlet for this viciousness which is necessary for their well being and is also highly entertaining. We let our cat outside with us and have him chase toys and tennis balls to get all that energy out. Its also important to know their body language to see what mood they are in and plan your actions accordingly. We feed our cat a raw meat diet and its pretty cool to watch him chomp down a whole chicken thigh bone with a happy glazed over look as he crushes it with his teeth.

Edited by twk123

There must be some reason German Shepard's St. Bernard's or other large dogs don't kill their owners, family members or other dogs on a regular basis, just pit bulls. Does environment really explain it, or could it be something inherent to the nature of the breed?

There's a couple things at play here.

The pit bull breed is more likely to be trained to be aggressive than any other breed.  The more aggressive dogs that are out there, the more chances there are for attacks.

Breeds other than Pit bulls don't get the media attention that Pits do.  I read where a Husky killed it's owner and only got local media attention.  A Pit that kills it's owner normally gets national media.  Americans love to hate the breed.

Pit bulls were originally bred to help in controlling Bulls.  They were trained and bred to bite and hold the bulls either in the nether regions or face and head.  They're very good at what they do.

There must be some reason German Shepard's St. Bernard's or other large dogs don't kill their owners, family members or other dogs on a regular basis, just pit bulls. Does environment really explain it, or could it be something inherent to the nature of the breed?

There's a couple things at play here.

The pit bull breed is more likely to be trained to be aggressive than any other breed.  The more aggressive dogs that are out there, the more chances there are for attacks.

No sir, that is not true.  (I assume you mean trained after a particular dog is born)

And please understand, I am not arguing with you, it's just that each of us has different experiences in life that color our opinions.

In one of my previous lives I was an in-home therapist, which means I got to go into the homes of lower income people with not much education and try to convince them not to abuse and neglect their children.  MANY of those homes had pit bulls.

I observed a 6-month old pit bull that was NOT trained by anybody to do anything.  The dog was very friendly, but even at six months he was very strong. 

One time while I was doing an in-home visit, the family's 4 year-old child was just standing around in a diaper when the pit bull jumped into the child bashing his head into the wall of their house.  The dog was heavily muscled and incredibly strong, it was just as if an adult male had shoved a 40 pound child into a wall.

There was no doubt in my mind the pit bull was being playful and meant no harm, but the fact is the dog's aggressive playfulness could have caused brain damage to the child, broken a nose, or put out an eye.  I saw the child's head snap back.  It was violent and very disturbing.

I called CPS (I am a mandated reporter) and CPS told the family either get rid of the pit bull or they would pull the child from the home because the parents could not protect their child from their pet.

Then when I read a pit has killed its owner, or watch Judge Judy (or whatever judge show) and hear the many, many accounts of pit bull attacks, it doesn't take long to figure out this is a violent breed and is usually owned by ex-convicts.  I haven't seen any judge shows or read any accounts where dalmatians are killing anyone.

To reach your opinion, it just means your experiences are different than mine.  But I know what I've seen going into MANY homes the average person doesn't see.  If you had seen what I have seen, you might agree with me. 

When it comes to the safety of children and violent pets, we HAVE to err on the side of children who cannot protect themselves.

Edited by wvu80

There was no doubt in my mind the pit bull was being playful and meant no harm,

Exactly.  The person who was killed in the above referenced story wasn't killed by a playful dog that didn't know it's own strength. 

I've owned Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands, arguably 2 of the most loveable, docile breeds going.  They both had inadvertently made my children cry by accidentally bumping and knocking them over.  accidents happen even when animals aren't involved.  Glad you weren't there.

All joking aside (I WAS making a joke), we're all opinionated based on our life experiences.  I certainly respect yours and understand where you're coming from.

• Like 1

I strongly believe that the way any animal is raised effects its personality.  Not to say I'd trust or want a snake on the loose.

Neighbor had a extremely large Rottweiler.  Although he looked quite fierce he was just a big puddy cat.  A very good dog to have living next door.  Wife's dog was less the 10 lbs and went into heat.  Rottweiler was very interested and spent much time with the little dog.  But he just could not figure out what to do as she was so much shorter and there was no way to couple.

Any breed can bite.  At less then 5 years old I was bitten by our Dalmatian.  

My folks rescued a small dog, less then 15 lbs.  My brother in law reached across the new baby and the little dog bit him.  I'm sure the dog felt he was protecting the baby.

We had a mixed breed that would intervene if he thought someone was being too rough with a kid.  He was a large dog, Lab and Belgium shepherd mix.  He would also intervene if he thought a woman was being abused. Sure tended to quell the neighbors outbursts when he would jump 4' fence and get between man and woman. That always put a stop to any abuse.

We never trained him for much, except to quit killing chickens and to fetch raw eggs.

He was usually quite friendly.  However if he thought someone was stealing he would bark once and if you didn't put down whatever you were taking he would bite you on the arse.  He also would not let anyone in the house if we were not home.  Even if he knew them they could not come in.  If we were home, no problem.

Dogs can be compared to people as both can be aggressive or passive.  The average intelligence of a grown dog is comparable to that of a 5 year old child.  I know I've had dogs that were smarter then most 5 year old kids.  

Edited by Taz

For Dave.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) published a study in 2000 on dog bite-related fatalities (DBRF) that covered the years 1979–1998. The report concluded that relying on media coverage of dog-bite-related fatalities presents a biased view of the dogs involved. They stated that media reports are likely to only cover about 74% of the actual incidents and that dog attacks involving certain breeds may be more likely to receive media coverage. They also reported that since breed identification is difficult and subjective, attacks may be more likely to be "ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression".

A study conducted at the University of Texas Southwestern Medical School identified fatal dog bites during the period 1966–1980. They identified 74 incidents from newspapers and the medical literature. They found that the most (23) fatalities occurred in infants under 1 year old, and in most cases the dog was owned by the victim's family. In only 3 of the incidents was the dog reported to have been provoked by kicking, hitting, or having stones thrown at it. However, several incidents involved a child attempting to pet or hug the dog.

In 6 of the incidents, there was no information available about the breed of dogs involved.

Of the remaining 68 fatalities, many involved large and powerful molosser breeds: eight Saint Bernards, six Bull terriers, six Great Danes, as well as two attacks by Boxers and one by a Rottweiler.

In contrast to the time period covered by the CDC study, which found pit bulls and Rottweilers to be the most commonly involved breed in such attacks during that time period, this study found no fatal pit bull attacks at all in the US during its time period, and only one Rottweiler attack.

There was no doubt in my mind the pit bull was being playful and meant no harm,

Exactly.  The person who was killed in the above referenced story wasn't killed by a playful dog that didn't know it's own strength. 

I've owned Golden Retrievers and Newfoundlands, arguably 2 of the most loveable, docile breeds going.  They both had inadvertently made my children cry by accidentally bumping and knocking them over.  accidents happen even when animals aren't involved.  Glad you weren't there.

All joking aside (I WAS making a joke), we're all opinionated based on our life experiences.  I certainly respect yours and understand where you're coming from.

Point (and joke) well taken!  :)

And even though you and I don't know each other, I can just about guarantee you, that you are not the problem, and you never will be the problem in terms of supervising and protecting your child. 

You would be on the high end of being a responsible parent, and the people I saw who were all referred to me by CPS were on the very lowest end.

I strongly believe that the way any animal is raised effects its personality.  Not to say I'd trust or want a snake on the loose.

Neighbor had a extremely large Rottweiler.  Although he looked quite fierce he was just a big puddy cat.  A very good dog to have living next door.  Wife's dog was less the 10 lbs and went into heat.  Rottweiler was very interested and spent much time with the little dog.  But he just could not figure out what to do as she was so much shorter and there was no way to couple.

Again, you are coming from a normal point of view, because you are a normal person.  I don't hold that against you.  :rolleyes:   But You haven't been into the homes I have.

Do you think how you raise your pet alligator in your house affects its personality?  I assure you it doesn't, and I assure you, I am not making this up.  :wacko:

A few years ago one of our neighbors had probably the biggest doberman I had ever seen. That dog and I got to be pretty good friends and I had never even met the owner. The owner was trying to train the dog to be more aggressive, though not through abuse, for protection since she was home alone quite a bit but it never worked. He was just too friendly. After a few months she (the owner) moved the dog somewhere else.

Edited by Mighty Favog

Favog, am sure that nearly everyone here has a similar tale/experience as mine, so is nothing special.  However . . . . I will never forget the two magnificent Dobermans I had.  One male, one female.  Gosh, they were wonderful dogs (around my 2 children, too--though, I never left them together unsupervised for any amount of time).