Used AVR for around $300?

CHASLS2

Now that i have a set of Paradigm Signature 2v3's laying around that won't sell i may use them in my livingroom.  I may just look for a good used AVR in my local area for $300, must have some HDMI inputs.  What brand would you guys go with used for around $300?

• Like 1

Guess i could check out Best buy as well.  Just got to where it's hard for me to make out what people say and i wanted to add a LCR to my living room TV.  If the Paradigms sell then i would get me a set of some kind of Klipsch system for the living room.

• Like 1

Buy a Harman for music, Onkyo for most features bang for buck. The 626 is often 299 , don't think you'll beat that for the features if you do mostly movies. I sold every gen of Onkyo since HDMI to friends, they all still work 605, 606, 607,608,609,805. I had a pre HDMI fail 703 burned channel. If you mostly listen to music the Harman's are great, 254,354,2600,2650,3600,3650 or new but not cheap.

If it were me, I'd at least look it up on the net & consider it; I've no dog in the fight, & no experience with HK. But, they do have a good reputation.

Would you be interested in a Harman Kardon AVR354? I've been considering getting rid of mine.

That brand never crossed my mind.
  • Like 1

Buy a Harman for music, Onkyo for most features bang for buck. The 626 is often 299 , don't think you'll beat that for the features if you do mostly movies. I sold every gen of Onkyo since HDMI to friends, they all still work 605, 606, 607,608,609,805. I had a pre HDMI fail 703 burned channel. If you mostly listen to music the Harman's are great, 254,354,2600,2650,3600,3650 or new but not cheap.

That the HDMI fails is not my opinion, it's Onkyo's:

Onkyo acknowledges failed units and extending warrranties until 2018

Onkyo USA Support Information

08/19/2014 Loss of Audio/Network Connection Customer Care Program

As part of our commitment to quality and customer service we have determined that a limited number of Onkyo Brand receivers manufactured between 2009 and 2012 may experience loss of audio or loss of network connection. This malfunction has been traced back to a defective network chip.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-receivers-amps-processors/1652514-onkyo-acknowledges-failed-units-extending-warrranties-until-2018-a.html

I wasn't trying to refute your good experiences with Onkyo, I own an Onk 717 and I love it, it has had zero problems.  But when I recommend something based on what I know, I want people to know there are problems with the HDMI boards, a major concern especially when buying used.

Almost all the Onk models sold in the last several years have this problem, including my 2012 model.  What is incomprehensible is the subsequent follow up to the 717 which was the 727, also had the bad board!  My 717 is on the list for the extended warranty, but Onk will only fix it if it fails,  they won't replace the bad part because it is a bad part.

Marantz! I just got a decent deal from an individual off of the craigslist.

When you say local, that can mean no shipping where unit can be damaged.

I only plan to buy within 30 miles of my area.  So far they are plenty on CL. Saw a fancy Denon for $430 local to me. Not in any big hurry to buy.

That the HDMI fails is not my opinion, it's Onkyo's:

I think anyone on an audio forum in the last 5 YEARS knows Onkyo and many others have had hdmi problems. Onkyo being one of the worst, so I read. I on the other hand have had good luck running sometimes 16 hours daily with many different units. That does not mean any one wont fail today, its just a relevant fact. I don't sell em, the guy just ask for a recommendation, I gave one. After asking "what brand" did he decided he would exclude the one he would never consider?

Anybody wants to bash Onkyo would be lining up behind me. I invented it many years ago when the net was young. My history here and everywhere you read "cold ,sterile, non musical is because Ive complained endlessly about it. For HT however they're fine. I understand some get all worked up over their products potential failure but lifes tough sometimes.

Good luck to the OP on an avr.