Favorite Beatles album

Maccagirl83

I didn't like the Beatles until Sgt. Pepper's came out, Abbey Road is superb. Still holds up after all these years. I think what is hardest for most is the incredible variety of music they put out.

Never was crazy about John, but George and Paul both continued with some great music.

... and welcome to the forums!

Bruce

• Like 1

Wow folks...lots of good stuff. You guys really know how to make somebody feel welcome. 

Any thoughts on Help or Hard Days Night?

Yeah.  Why did i leave Hard Days Night off my list?  Five really good songs on that one (Can’t Buy Me Love, I Should Have Known Better, And I Love Her, If I fell, and a really good one…Things We Said Today).  simple songs; but, i like them.  i think John & Paul wrote all the songs on this LP.

Edited by BigStewMan

Excellent. I think some of the songs you mentioned are certainly a few predecessors to stuff on the Rubber Soul album. At least in terms of composition. 

Ok, least favorite album? Beatles for Sale. A couple of good ones there (No Reply, I'm a Loser). It was along the lines of "what can we put out before Christmas in '64?" 

• Like 1

Genevieve … I want to agree with you on that one; but, “I’ll Follow the Sun” is keeping me from agreeing 100%. There isn’t much else on that LP though, i will admit that.  I’m not a fan of Let It Be. Although in the Beatles defense (while this was their fault), i believe they weren’t getting along too well about then and the tracks were turned over to the producer and the album completed.  Paul has mentioned that The Long and Winding Road was written as a piano piece, and Phil Spector reworked it. 

was I’m a Loser a rip off of Bob Dylan?  I will have to research that one…

p.s. Bob Dylan is not a good singer; but, the best songwriter of all time (in case anyone asks).

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

You know, I neglected to mention "I'll Follow the Sun." I do like that one. Shame on me. I expect more out of myself than that.

Let it Be is just such a sad album, their fault or not. It's so cold, and there's not a lot of flow to it. Thoughts?

I thought Let it Be Naked sounded a lot warmer, and more fluid.

By the way...Dylan excellent writer. Singer....meh...I agree.

i would attribute the lack of flow to the band having checked out, so to speak.  The writer knows what we wants when he starts writing … i don’t think the Beatles finished the songs like they had earlier. It’s as if they thought that they had the skeletons of the songs and let or made Phil Spector put the flesh on the tunes.  Letting a producer finish is a recipe for mediocrity. I mean, it’s like American Idol for instance…those people are doing nothing to develop these young people -- they have their formula as to what sells and heart & soul doesn’t enter the equation.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 1

i would attribute the lack of flow to the band having checked out, so to speak.  The writer knows what we wants when he starts writing … i don’t think the Beatles finished the songs like they had earlier. It’s as if they thought that they had the skeletons of the songs and let or made Phil Spector put the flesh on the tunes.  Letting a producer finish is a recipe for mediocrity. I mean, it’s like American Idol for instance…those people are doing nothing to develop these young people -- they have their formula as to what sells and heart & soul doesn’t enter the equation.

Well said. 

I have a bunch of Beatles albums, but don't listen to them often. Some favorites:

Kum Back - i like it because it's an uncommon bootleg and I feel special having it in my library. i like to feel special. :P

Revolver - Tomorrow Never Knows always reminds me to drop everything and go listen to The Chemical Brothers - Surrender, which then spirals out of control into an all day Chemical Brothers jam session.

Rubber Soul - just a fun album.

I usually just get my Beatles fix by watching "Across the Universe".

• Like 1