Hey IbizaFlame re: trumpet avatar

wvu80

Trumpet eh ?

My dad bought me one back in the 60s (i was never consulted) including i find out, Lessons.

Now mind you im a surfer trying to be a hippy, Guitar, anything Guitar! im into Hendrix, Carlos you name it.

I lived at the Wedge in Newport two doors down from Dick Dale, talk about an infulence!

I played "with" the trumpet for two weeks, and two lessons, dont know whatever happened to it.

Interesting, a couple years later i end up in Military school and one of my classmates was Tommy Dorsey's son :o

I've got a special place in my heart for trumpet players. Took it up in grammar school and played throughout high school. I was perhaps the worst trumpet player on the entire planet. On hot summer days, if I was in a grumpy mood, I'd open the window and torture the neighborhood with trumpet practice.  Women would rush out of their homes and pull tier little children off of the street.  Birds would fall from trees.  However, I was exposed to two superb trumpet players, particularly my teacher who could really kill the high notes. Indeed, from playing all the years his chin jutted forward. 

My time with the trumpet taught me to appreciate a good one when I hear it , and from time-to-time I'm absolutely floored by some of the licks I hear and can almost instinctively  appreciate their lipwork, but more interestingly to me,  their throat muscle control.  This level of appreciation always adds a little something to my enjoyment of any music with a good trumpet player in it. This joy I experience is a direct result of my exposure to that instrument.

Oh, here's one of my favorite trumpet solos, there's two actually about a minute and a half in and about four an half minutes.  I count maybe four breaths on each solo, which to me is amazing.  Get yourself a good copy of the original vinyl pressing and you will thank me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6tR78d0cmA

• Like 2

Nice picture, Steve.

Thanks Bruce -- it was a fun evening!  I was tripping around on You Tube and ran across a 2014 video of Gary Richrath.  Have you seen him lately?  I was in shock--he has put on so much weight that it was hard to believe -- it was so sad to see.  

• Like 1

Thebes … i must know … The Beatles Greatest Hits played on the trumpet…do you buy it?

Didn't even know there was such a creature.

I am however, the proud owner of, I think it's called, the London Symphony Does The Beatles.  Now the London Symphony was a fake creation of the Moody Blues to describe the  backing group on Days of Future Passed. This particular gem is a combination of really , really bad early '60s lounge music and 1000 strings. May just be the most awful music ever recorded, even worse then the original Beatles songs.  If i can find where I've buried it I will post it here with a bounty of $1000 for anyone who can listen to it all the way through.

Send the check, I mean money order to me Thebes.  Not only do I deserve it for providing sniper support for you all these years, but also that I have and will listen again to the whole lp not only in its entirety, but in one sitting!

Edited by oldtimer
  • Like 1

Have you seen him lately? I was in shock--he has put on so much weight that it was hard to believe -- it was so sad to see.
I've seen pics of him. I think there's some medical issues and not just drinking... Lots of rumors.

Bruce

I am however, the proud owner of, I think it's called, the London Symphony Does The Beatles. Now the London Symphony was a fake creation of the Moody Blues to describe the backing group on Days of Future Passed. This particular gem is a combination of really , really bad early '60s lounge music and 1000 strings. May just be the most awful music ever recorded, even worse then the original Beatles songs. If i can find where I've buried it I will post it here with a bounty of $1000 for anyone who can listen to it all the way through.

You are confusing the LSO with the London Festival Orchestra. The LFO was Decca's house orchestra and used on the Moody Blues LPs and others. It was started in the 1950s.

The London Symphony Orchestra (LSO) is a world class orchestra and you should be flogged for confusing the two.

Bruce

• Like 1

I will post it here with a bounty of $1000 for anyone who can listen to it all the way through.
 Years ago, I was listening to the radio and the station was having a contest -- the winner got some tickets to some concert (don’t remember who).  The winner was the one that could lay in a coffin the longest listening to Debbie Boone’s You Light Up My Life looped.
  • Like 1