MIT cables and Klipsch La Scala?

taviran

Thanks, Mark, for all your comments. You have hit several nails on the head. A little tolerance would go a long way in these cable 'discussions.' The last time (and I mean the LAST time) I offered any substantive comment in a cable thread, one kind gentleman suggested I was smoking some really good weed. There's no point in pursuing such a discussion. Someone once asked me "Would you rather be right or happy?" When it comes to cables and cable threads, I'd rather be happy. Cheers. :)

Oh boy, another one!

"High end" cables and wire

Trading on the fact that a great many folks have made poor buying decisions/matches with their equipment purchases and now place great hope on fixing those bad choices by what is (maybe) effectively EQing with wire

In other words, preying on the unhappy; unhappy for WHATEVER the reason 

Others? SOME NOT ALL  More money than good sense and/or objective knowledge/understanding or just plain gullible.........

Yes, I said it, gullible (and insecure)  Or maybe just ignorant of reality (in the literal sense of the word, as in not knowing) 

I do concur on one point that has been made here; there is a definitive draw to audio jewelry for some and more power to them that can afford it and want it

But that does not mean it does a thing to improve sound quality beyond the mentioned placebo effect

Even if "Brand X" mega bucks cable did all it claimed (and could even be measured), it's PREDICTABLE suitability would be limited to whatever pieces of gear it was designed/matched to (I am thinking primarily capacitance) if it even enjoyed any "design" efforts beyond the marketing department

Assuming all potential claims to be true of a "high end" cable, when used with a specific set up, there are still too many variables to take into consideration when put to use out in the "wild"

I gave up on wasting my money on things like heavy *** Cardas wires that used RCAs too big for my vintage equipment and weighed so much that they bent and deformed many of my jacks on newer pieces over time

Yes, I too was a Stereophool subscriber.  Caused me to sell a lot of good equipment and buy a lot of over priced over hyped (actually LIED about) junk

I was gullible and fell into the trance of soothing hypnotic sales babble and promises

Sounded so good, all those adjectives and snake oil explanations of how things "work"  

Words like "proprietary", "patented", "exclusive", "transparent" and "unique".....................

I just HAD to get me some!  I was so excited!

Was a hard learning curve but eventually (thankfully)I discovered the Mogami catalog, MOUSER ELECRONICS and a good soldering iron and have been happy (well, happier) ever since

My system(s) sound more Musical as well (not just to me but the folks around me)

The motives of the boutique wire biz is well documented and 99.9% of their marketing claims is little more than B.S. from a demonstrable point of view (objective/measurable)

And upon close examination one will soon learn that very few, if any of these purveyors even draw their own wire.  Underneath all those fancy jackets you will often find the same well recognized conductors (brands/manufacturers) you will find at a good building supply house

And yes, I recognize the fact that a few of them have the conductors drawn to their custom "specs" by big makers like Belden but as much so to legally be able to claim exclusivity and hold design patents as to anything else

But hey, whatever blows your skirt up

Analogman

I'm not telling anyone what to buy. Indeed, I am offering an alternative view, based on real science, so that people can make up their own minds. If they decide to spend kilobucks on wire, fine. If they don't, they will have more cash available to buy better phono carts, amps, speakers, etc., things that few would argue will make a real difference in their systems.

Unless you make a specific recommendation, you are reduced to nothing more than saying you know best what others should do.

:pwk_bs:

For me Analogman has hit it on the head... I use Mogami  made by studiowiring.com... The owner has worked in over 400 studios and for some of the best, mostly on the west coast, and he uses Mogami and has for a long time. Many studios, if not most have been wired with Mogami.  The owner "Scott" told me a funny story,at a party with engineers and execs and fans a vendor brought in some 10,000$ cables, a much larger percentage of the room preferred his... If it is good enough for some of the best studios its good enough...

Edited by juniper

I just skimmed through the thread and thought that this short article would be of interest:

http://moneyandvalues.blogspot.com/2008/03/psychology-of-money-we-think-higher.html

Maynard

That is interesting.  In my profession, I deal with very sophisticated clients who have significant experience with attorneys and what I do for them (mostly trasnactional matters).  My overhead is low so I price myself below what the big firms charge and my clients and I each get a better deal than if I went back to such a firm.

Go to family law (for example) where the clients have no experiance with attorneys, and you can just raise your rates and you are automatically a better attorney in yoru clients eyes because they have no real idea of what you actually do.  Hey, my lawyer is charging me $100 more per hour than yours, he must be better!

Did you read the whole article, Mark?  It suggested doing something to test one's perceptions for authenticity, not simply trusting them.  Of course that conflicts with your personal jihad against bias controlled listening tests, so not the sort of detail from the article you would be inclined to take note of or give credence to.

Going with the truthiness, gut feeling, raw experience approach as you advocate may result in you finding the $5 wine tastes better because it's labeled at $90, to the point that you pay that much for illusory differences.  Does actually paying for the delusion make it any less of a delusion?  Some would consider that approach kind of stupid, when with a little less self deception the same experience could be had for $5.  

Edited by Ski Bum

I'm not telling anyone what to buy. Indeed, I am offering an alternative view, based on real science, so that people can make up their own minds. If they decide to spend kilobucks on wire, fine. If they don't, they will have more cash available to buy better phono carts, amps, speakers, etc., things that few would argue will make a real difference in their systems.

Unless you make a specific recommendation, you are reduced to nothing more than saying you know best what others should do.

Right. Once I hold you accountable, you can't answer. You realize that all you are ever trying to do is manage the happiness of others. I have just proven that. So look, I totally appreciate that you have a path you like to follow. My suggestion is let others follow theirs without resorting to all the made up stories, Don.

Mere words from the Duke of Duplicity, the Master of Mendacity, the Baron of Bullshit. If you read what I wrote, I said people should make up their own minds after reading all viewpoints, not just ads or reviews. Your bizarre comments make no sense. As usual.

Right. Once I hold you accountable, you can't answer. You realize that all you are ever trying to do is manage the happiness of others. I have just proven that. So look, I totally appreciate that you have a path you like to follow. My suggestion is let others follow theirs without resorting to all the made up stories, Don.

Mere words from the Duke of Duplicity, the Master of Mendacity, the Baron of Bullshit. If you read what I wrote, I said people should make up their own minds after reading all viewpoints, not just ads or reviews. Your bizarre comments make no sense. As usual.

Don't pick on Mark. He has forgotten more about audio than most people know!

Well Don, I can see you are not accustomed to being in discussions with science or engineering people. You are unable to follow the thread of the argument, unable to generate rational responses, and as always, resort to attacks on my character as being the best response you can muster up.

I'm sorry you aren't up to the task here. I'd say go play with others at your level, because you aren't at my level and it's pointless for me to keep trying to bring you along here. I'd say "good try" but it wasn't even up to that standard.

Wow  :blink2:

I love it!

"I've downgraded my system and no longer need the 4M length. Credit cards will be accepted from members with outstanding feedback; Add 3% additional for this option."

Thanks for the smile!

Analogman

• Like 1

You speak oI speak of experiences.

I think I answered this already.  Your experiences are predicated on self deception, mine are not.  Funny that you advocate so strongly for it, yet admit that you don't use fancy wire yourself.  You don't exactly walk the walk.  I think you're just trolling for attention now. 

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1