15" vs" 18" DIY? I've heard pros and cons for both...

dewthedru

Starting to plan my sub builds since my screen and PJ are mounted.  I'm trying to decide between 2 15" or 2" sealed subs.  15" would probably be done using dayton ultimax drivers and the 18" with drivers from stereo integrity since (IIRC) that's what scrappy used.

What is the difference in feel/sound between them?  I've heard an 18" can go lower but is slower and usually lacks the punch of a 15".  Is that correct?

And while you're thinking about that...DIY Sound Group has a 3 cubit ft. flat pack for the 15" DT Ultimax and a 4 cubic ft. box for the same driver.  Is there any reason to choose the smaller one?  And why wouldn't the 4 cubic foot one list an 18" option?  I guess I can ask the peeps on the forum there.

Thanks!

These "kits" from Partsexpress look like a super good deal if you're looking to go sealed. $270 shipped for a flat pack and driver!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-Audio-15-Ultimax-Subwoofer-and-Cabinet-Package-300-7097-/221532177388?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339458c3ec

post-58550-0-77410000-1422042951_thumb.j

Edited by jjptkd

I dont know enough about the two to give you an educated response but have you thought about an Infinite Baffle subwoofer? It is a more or less permanent installation but everything I have read about them indicates they are mind blowing and a couple steps above any sealed enclosure.

What is the difference in feel/sound between them?  I've heard an 18" can go lower but is slower and usually lacks the punch of a 15".  Is that correct?

Old wives tale, urban legend, stuff like that. If you're already going DIY there's no reason not to go with 18's. I've got both ported Klipsch 15's and sealed Ultimax 18's, what you just said is the exact opposite of what I've got going on.

It is a more or less permanent installation but everything I have read about them indicates they are mind blowing and a couple steps above any sealed enclosure.

I love mine.

Depending on the size of the sealed enclosure, sealed subs can act very much like IB's.  There's advantages to both configurations. 

I guess the first question is how large is the room, upstairs or basement,  are you mixing 15 and 18's, and do you have things to dial them in correctly.  No such thing as fast small sub and slow large.  The 18 Ultimax models slightly better that the SI and with have a few more db's.  There are several ways to get room shaking bass, one way is extension below 15 Hz and the other is 15 Hz and above.  More on that later.

IB should be a consideration is this is a fresh build and you can do a little DIY work.  Which will be superior, 15,18, or  IB, all depends on you application and end goal.  There are pro's and con's to all these choices, lol.

Edited by derrickdj1

I would go 18; if you can do IB you should.

I will second that - the 18 inch will give a thunderring sound that is as fast as a 15 -lower than a single 15 - and with more punch -

now if you want more :

a dual 15 inch sub is the right choice  - I have 2 of these - they use Eminence woofers - and are 5/8 " birch cabinets

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/commercial_audio/speakers/installation_series/is1215/

It takes roughly two of the same 15's to equal one 18. 18's aren't very much more money. And the whole slow fast thing stopped in like 1999. Technology has brought speakers a long way. My 18's are every dang bit as good of sound quality as my flagship Svs ultras 60 lb 13" woofers. If you have a large room and only doing two it may be better to get the ultimax 18's. I love the SI's. However I can have 50 in my room if I wanted. So they are the better choice at less money for me.

Scrappydue, the Ultimax and S.I. driver in your sub model so close, I doubt if it would make a difference in a sealed sub. I also think the S.I. likes a smaller vented box which is a plus if space is an issue.  The recommend vented box for the Ultimax is 11 cu ft. which is a big box.

Another excellent deal from Partsexpress, Dayton HO 18 plus a 4 cu ft Flat pack for $325 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-Audio-18-Reference-Series-HO-Subwoofer-and-Cabinet-P-300-7094-/221532177466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339458c43a

I've thought about ordering a pair of these myself to replace the Ultra 2 subs I have.

Another excellent deal from Partsexpress, Dayton HO 18 plus a 4 cu ft Flat pack for $325 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dayton-Audio-18-Reference-Series-HO-Subwoofer-and-Cabinet-P-300-7094-/221532177466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item339458c43a

I've thought about ordering a pair of these myself to replace the Ultra 2 subs I have.

the Ultimax 18 is better -

Starting to plan my sub builds since my screen and PJ are mounted.  I'm trying to decide between 2 15" or 2" sealed subs.  15" would probably be done using dayton ultimax drivers and the 18" with drivers from stereo integrity since (IIRC) that's what scrappy used.

And while you're thinking about that...DIY Sound Group has a 3 cubit ft. flat pack for the 15" DT Ultimax and a 4 cubic ft. box for the same driver.  Is there any reason to choose the smaller one?  And why wouldn't the 4 cubic foot one list an 18" option?  I guess I can ask the peeps on the forum there.

Thanks!

the kits from parts express are bare cabs - not painted -you have to do all the work - a Yamaha dual 18 inch on ebay costs 650$ ready to use and the have the Eminence drivers we all like -

Edited by Randyh

Those look like great, high output "woofers" but with a rated low end response of 40hz they don't appear to be the best theater subs. You want response down to 20hz at least.

"Those"? I assume you're not referring to the Ultimax?

He's talking about the pro audio Yamaha's.  Those are loud for music but yeah they're not really made for home theater. 

Scrappydue, the Ultimax and S.I. driver in your sub model so close, I doubt if it would make a difference in a sealed sub. I also think the S.I. likes a smaller vented box which is a plus if space is an issue.  The recommend vented box for the Ultimax is 11 cu ft. which is a big box.

The HST-18 is recommended at 8 cubic feet tuned to 24 hz.  The Ultimax is 8 cubic feet at 20 hz.  If you want the ultimax tuned to subsonic frequencies, you make it 12 cubic feet then tune it to 15 hz but most people aren't going to do that.  I don't know what the recommendation for the cheaper HT-18's are. 

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

The HST-18 is recommended at 8 cubic feet tuned to 24 hz.  The Ultimax is 8 cubic feet at 20 hz.  If you want the ultimax tuned to subsonic frequencies, you make it 12 cubic feet then tune it to 15 hz but most people aren't going to do that.  I don't know what the recommendation for the cheaper HT-18's are.

Lol...a 4x4 enclosure for 20hz??? Wow! I don't know if I can swing selling that to my wife.