Church speaker help needed

mustang guy

I have said before that the most degrading thing an audiophile can hear is "Wow! Those are great sounding loudspeakers!"

I think some people don't know how to express what they are hearing with a great system, so they say the speakers sound great.

My old church in Atlanta (could only seat 200-300 I guess). There were two panels on each side of the altar with trefoil designs in the wooden screens. All that was used for speaking fed two coaxials right behind those. Totally invisible and plenty of clarity for the whole congregation.

Mark, we'll just have to disagree on what makes a good church service. Concerts I don't need...

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Bruce, I meant audiophile to audiophile.  I think most of us will agreed that the magic happens when a "hole" opens up where a loudspeaker is standing and you seem to be hearing straight through into another place.  THAT's what I'm talking about.

Mark, we'll just have to disagree on what makes a good church service. Concerts I don't need...

Yep.  And if I want to watch TV or a slide show, I'll do it at home. 

Dave

Well the pics from OP were Rane, powered speakers.  Actually good stuff!  Not sure why those were posted if those were not the subject of the thread.  Maybe just a mistake.  No big deal.

Dave/Bruce - My comments were not intended to be about what I consider makes a good church service.  Sorry.  Everyone has their own opinions and we don't need to discuss here.  It's just that our church is so heavily into the music program that when I saw this thread I immediately thought of suggesting professional help.  That's all.  :)

Well the pics from OP were Rane, powered speakers.  Actually good stuff!  Not sure why those were posted if those were not the subject of the thread.  Maybe just a mistake.  No big deal.

I don't think Craig could get close enough to take closeup pics of the original speaker, so to get the conversation going he posted pics of a similar looking powered speaker.  Several posts later he clarified that he thought those might have been Behringer speakers, a couple hundred bucks each.

Not everybody has the time to read every post, so it's easy for a couple of posts to get past you.  And like you said, no big deal.  :)

Edited by wvu80

Great photos of the install there. 

First - that Shure Vocal Master should bring a pretty penny to the church. Vintage collectors would LOVE to have a system in that condition once it's cleaned up. It's a very early PA system, that head unit most probably has a tube amp or pre-amp system.

The new system doesn't have a bad sound board but that installation leaves much to be desired. Masking tape for labels, cables routed terribly, no cabinet for wireless receivers, very thin zip cord for speaker runs, the list is endless. My guess is that the speakers are not made to be flown or are rigged in a haphazard manner which is VERY DANGEROUS!!! 

The Klipsch KP262 are engineered to be flown, they have special hanging points which are metal brackets inside the cabinet such that all force is distributed to the side walls of the cabinet, ie the cabinet will not disassemble in the air raining down woofer and tweeters upon an unsuspecting congregation. Wiring for such a distance should probably be at least 16 gauge wire, probably 14 gauge to avoid signal loss. How such a system is installed without any system equalization is beyond me. Is there not enough volume out of the system before feedback occurs or can the pastor not approach the line of the speakers?  I will msg my phone number should you want to discuss the installation a bit more.

I don't have the details. I figure the people who made the final decision chose the cheapest bidder. I was told that there was another bidder that was quite a bit higher that actually did some engineering and was to provide racks, etc. 

There is NO DOUBT that I will offend somebody.  :)  You get what you bloody pay for.

I have the number of the guy who put in the system. I am going to call him and ask a few pointed questions.