Impressed with the Onkyo TX-NR1008...Even for Music

Youthman

• Moderators

Ok, so Wakejunkie loves Spotify so I decided to give it a whirl in the HT. I have the free version so it only lets me Shuffle the songs. WOW! It sounds soooo much better than using Youtube to stream music. Looks like I might be building a simple Media PC so I can actually choose songs for free from the PC.

• Like 1

I take back every comment I've ever made about Onkyo not being good for music. The 1008 sounds amazing!

I knew it was only a matter of time when you would start believing me. ;)  :D

IMO, Onkyo gear provides some of the most uncolored audio you can get.  About as neutral they come.

Bill

• Like 2

Bill I'm not kidding

I believe you totally.

I have told this story before, but when I sold my legendary Luxman R-117, I sold the best sounding piece of audio gear I have ever owned or personally heard.  I only decided to sell it when I casually inserted in it's place a craigslist purchased Integra DTM-40.4 stereo receiver.  My intention was to just give it a quick demo to make sure everything functioned properly.  What I got astounded me.  Nothing prepared me for what I was experiencing.  The DTM-40.4 was almost a direct audio twin to the R-117 with it's punchy bass drive, sweet velvety midrange, detailed highs, huge soundstage and spot on imaging.  Never thought my Heresys could sound as good with anything else but the Luxman.  Minus a bit of headroom because of the power differences(80w/ch Integra vs 160w/ch Luxman), I was not missing out on anything with the DTM-40.4.  As a matter of fact I gained network capabilities(wired and wireless), HD radio, streaming services(Pandora, Spotify, etc.), subwoofer preout, and a host of other modern conveniences.

Do I miss the the Luxman R-117, absolutely, who would not miss probably the finest post 70's era stereo receiver ever produced?  I know where it is and I know she is being taken care of very well. :wub:

By the way, the Onkyo TX-8050 is the Onkyo fraternal twin to the Integra DTM-40.4.

Michael, if you like the 1008, I think you are really going to like the Onkyo 5008 with it's more power, MultEQ XT32, and SubEQ.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 1

Onkyo gear provides some of the most uncolored audio you can get

Maybe that is what I am noticing when I listen to the system in my main living room.  It is one of the lower end Onkyo receivers but works great. 

I have the free version so it only lets me Shuffle the songs

Different models of Onkyo's must allow different features.  I had to pay for a subscription to Spotify in order to stream it on my Onkyo receiver, and then to top it off there are a lot of songs it won't play.  Which may have something to do with the format, but anyway glad to hear you are enjoying Spotify.

• Like 1

Bang for the buck Onkyo has been the leader since HDMI became standard. They had a little issue but mine all work. I still am just ok on the music part but for HT or any hi rez audio it certainly sounds nice. Onkyo is also very competent in the amp department. The 6xx series has been the best line at the price since I began buying audio. Paid more for a prepro ten years ago than all my current Onkyos.They may have been a bit more musical but no comparing the features.

Edited by Fish

I take back every comment I've ever made about Onkyo not being good for music. The 1008 sounds amazing!

I love Onkyo! My 818 never gave me the hdmi or sound problems a lot of folks had, but I had it serviced anyway just in case. Anyway I've always loved how it sounds, and I've been very pleased with the 8050 I picked up recently.

Not that i care what the onkyo haters say but I'm glad to see so many happy and satisfied Onkyo users. No regrets here on my pre/pro purchase as it handles everything i throw at it.

Ok, so Wakejunkie loves Spotify so I decided to give it a whirl in the HT. I have the free version so it only lets me Shuffle the songs. WOW! It sounds soooo much better than using Youtube to stream music.

Best 9.99 I spend each month..thought I would miss MOG but Spotify is much better imo.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Not that i care what the onkyo haters say but I'm glad to see so many happy and satisfied Onkyo users. No regrets here on my pre/pro purchase as it handles everything i throw at it.

I know for me, I wasn't ever a hater, but I never thought my previous Onkyo 703 sounded very good with music.  To my ears, it blended the instruments together (maybe smoothe sounding) vs the Harman Kardon that did an excellent job separating each musical instrument.  With the 1008, I'm hearing what I have always loved about the HK.

Best 9.99 I spend each month..thought I would miss MOG but Spotify is much better imo.

I have considered it but honestly, I don't see myself spending $120/yr for Spotify.  Especially when I can rig up an older computer with a descent sound card for much cheaper and accomplish the same thing.  Will just need to buy a wireless keyboard for $20.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Different models of Onkyo's must allow different features. I had to pay for a subscription to Spotify in order to stream it on my Onkyo receiver

Guess I should have stated how I'm listening to Spotify.  I'm using my iPhone connected to the AppleTV via Apple Airplay.  Then from the AppleTV, into the Onkyo via HDMI.  Without a subscription, you can use Spotify like you can with Pandora through Music Stations or you can choose an artist and it will Shuffle the Songs from that Artist.  The subscription allows you to pick specific songs to play and at a higher bitrate.  My plan is to do what Wakejunkie did in his HT which is to use an older Dell computer that I have that isn't being used and turn it into a Media PC and pick up a small wireless keyboard.

• Like 2