Disc Players: Oppo, Marantz, or Denon

The History Kid

Putting some final foundations down on the rebuild of the components in my HT.

I'm now challenged with figuring out what the best option for a Blu-Ray/DVD/SA/CD Player would be. I've decided not to opt into changers again - I just don't listen or watch enough for them, and it just seems like another thing to break on the player.

I've heard good things about each one of these brands in how they handle audio - but which deals with video the best? I prefer something that's going to last so that is a must. A lot of people seem to like the Oppo's, but do they do anything Marantz or Denon doesn't do? What's the attraction?

What's the attraction?

Build quality

Video upscaling from DVDs

Audio (analog from nice DAC)

Customer service

Disclaimer: I have owned the Oppo -83, -95 and now the105D

All the above and then some.

The Cambridge Audio 652BD and 752BD are also great options.  Same MediaTek chipset, and Marvell QDEO video chip as Oppo players with CA's own personal audio tweaks and GUI.

Love my CA 751BD which is the previous generation.

Bill

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

From what I can tell, Oppo's don't break the bank too terribly bad and can be had used without too much hassle. I might just sniff around and see if I can dig up any deals on them. Any suggestions there? Any particular model I should look at?

Any suggestions there? Any particular model I should look at?

For great BD, DVD, CD, SACD, DVDA playback without networking, look for a BDP-83 or BDP-83SE.

With networking, look for the BDP-93, BDP-95, or BDP-103.

If you want the best of all the Oppos, then the BDP-105 which also can be used as an ultra quality outboard Dac.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings?utf8=%E2%9C%93&global_search_text=oppo

Bill

Edited by willland

Sounds good Bill!

I can't say networking means as much to me anymore, since I implement my computer into my HT setup (laptops are nice for that). Sounds like I'll start at the 83 and go from there. If I come across a nicer model...well, I can always make room for it. :)

Thanks!

Sounds good Bill!

I can't say networking means as much to me anymore, since I implement my computer into my HT setup (laptops are nice for that). Sounds like I'll start at the 83 and go from there. If I come across a nicer model...well, I can always make room for it. :)

Thanks!

If you don't need networking or any of the streaming services, then this is one you should look at.

http://app.audiogon.com/listings/cd-sacd-players-oppo-bdp-83se-excellent-in-all-regards-2015-02-15-digital-49058-hastings-mi

Bill

Yeah, and I really have no plans for updating beyond my 46" right now. I'm still not convinced about 4K vs. a good 120Hz screen either. Then again, my eyes aren't that super, that's probably why I get so irritated at little things in sound.

I haven't search yet, but what's so special about the 83SE vs. the regular 83?

I haven't search yet, but what's so special about the 83SE vs. the regular 83?

Audio tweaks in spades with ESS Technology ES9016 Sabre (32) Ultra DAC for the stereo output and an ES9006 DAC for the 7.1 channel output.

All video processing remains the same as BDP-83.

Bill

Roger that.

Now it's just waiting which one ends up falling into my price range first, and if it'll be before or after my Sherbourn amp purchase...

This is a decent deal for a Oppo BDP-83SE

http://emotivalounge.proboards.com/thread/41361/oppo-bdp-83se-emotiva-dc

more info:

http://www.audioholics.com/blu-ray-and-dvd-player-reviews/oppo-bdp-83se

Edited by Tasdom

Check the used equipment out well before you purchase.  All of us have got burned at one time or another.

For sure. I've gotten snagged a couple of times on speakers and receivers - sometimes at fault of the shipping company, other times at the fault of myself for just not checking it out. I've gotten a lot better at figuring things out though since the summer.

It's so strange, I was never expecting to be doing updates to my setup's core for many more years, but here I am. lol