Horn to pair with K55s

tromprof

In my Quarter Pie HT setup  am currently using Volti horns across the front 3 for mids, with K55 drivers. The sides have ALK trachorns, again with K55 drivers. I am thinking about building 2 cutdown QPs for the back channels for 7.2 surround, but don't have the budget to spring for more Volti or ALK horns unless I am lucky and find them used. Any good suggestions for an inexpensive alternative that would work with K55 drivers?  I have thought about the K401 horn from Klipsch, though I would rather use something a little closer to the bigger Volti or ALK designs.

Edited by tromprof

The SEOS waveguide needs to cross @950 Hz or higher. I don't think the Quarter Pies go that high - maybe 500 Hz. There are many horns that will cross around 500 Hz but I wouldn't be certain of the timbre match with the tractrix horns you now have. You built the QPs, I think a DIY tractrix clone would be within your capabilities, and inexpensive.

Of course as soon as I post this there is a pair of tractrix horns in the garage sale section. Think I will get those. Thanks for the opinions.

those are designed for a two inch exit driver so they won't work with your K55 unless you use an adaptor,do you want to go that route?

They show a 24" horn that can be crossed at 600Hz.

These are for the rear channels, which mostly output ambient related information. I'm not so sure the timbre issue would be that critical.

that's true but the horn in a CW (k600) is crossed at 650Hz. Ask Denis (DJK) which EV horn he likes there is one in particular makes a nice match.

Of course as soon as I post this there is a pair of tractrix horns in the garage sale section. Think I will get those. Thanks for the opinions.

those are designed for a two inch exit driver so they won't work with your K55 unless you use an adaptor,do you want to go that route?

Yes, I would use them with an adaptor, at least in the short term. 

I would expect that there are members who have used the K55 with this horn ask and see what they thought about the combo. Adaptors can be a less than good compromise unless they were custom made then they can be fine. If it is to tide you over til you can get some new horns it won't be an issue. The designer of the horn should be able to provide you with the better driver matches to the horn. Exit angle of the driver should exactly or very closely match the entrance angle of the horn to eliminate or reduce reflections back into the diaphragm. One of our members actually re machined his K55 to match exactly his new horns for both angle and throat size, he lives in Holland and nor has a set of very nice University bass horns with EV tops. Good luck and have fun. Best regards Moray James.

PS: I just got my own set of EV DH1A (have been running my brothers for some time now he wants them back) and I can say that moving to the large format drivers is a one way street. They lower overall distortion so much they make smaller diaphragm drivers sound like imitations of the real thing there will be no turning back for me..

I did try a 2 inch driver, and I did like it very much...not going back.

You really need a 3 inch driver toolz.   

:D

Three inch diaphragme are the beginning of large format drivers There are also 4 inch drivers and even larger but for the mot part the big boy toys are 3 and 4 inch diaphragm drivers. low distortion power and dynamics like nothing else.

I did try a 2 inch driver, and I did like it very much...not going back.

You really need a 3 inch driver toolz.   

:D

Three inch diaphragme are the beginning of large format drivers There are also 4 inch drivers and even larger but for the mot part the big boy toys are 3 and 4 inch diaphragm drivers. low distortion power and dynamics like nothing else.

Now you're talkin!