Grass - in Tx not Colorado; what gives

USNRET

So any of you guys with green thumbs have an answer as to why some parts of my lawn / yard is yellow not green.

It is Floratam St Augustine on nearly 100% sand. I use Scotts Weed & Feed and Turf Builder  2-3 times a year.

I use well water when it's not raining.

I see no evidence of fungus (but treated any way) or grubs.

Yea, it's only in the early growing season but this is something I have seen all the time since moving here.

post-19886-0-40180000-1426894783_thumb.j

Edited by USNRET

"Nitrogen is by far the element needed most by your lawn. It promotes root and blade growth and is responsible for the healthy green color of the grass. Without enough nitrogen your lawn will grow slowly and become yellowish. With too much, a lawn will grow too rapidly causing thatch build-up that can lead to disease problems. Nitrogen is also the element used up the quickest."

http://www.grassmaster.com/tips-tricks/fertilizing-tips/

"Nitrogen is by far the element needed most by your lawn. It promotes root and blade growth and is responsible for the healthy green color of the grass. Without enough nitrogen your lawn will grow slowly and become yellowish. With too much, a lawn will grow too rapidly causing thatch build-up that can lead to disease problems. Nitrogen is also the element used up the quickest."

http://www.grassmaster.com/tips-tricks/fertilizing-tips/

So even though I use this (iron) I need more nitrogen? Seems weird that it is basically the same spots every year.

Too early in the year, even where you live.

I think this is correct, too.  I've lived in Houston pretty much all my life.  You are not going to have a deep, healthy, green lawn this early in the year.  In just about another month, be prepared for a clover takeover.  After that, the yard should green-up.  Let your grass grow a little longer, but not too long.  If you cut it short, you are close to the root, where the color is more yellow.

I can't speak for iron. I've heard about it before, though.  Also, good sun exposure is critical.  If you have trees, they could pose an issue.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

I am eradicating the clover as I can. It's bad in a lot of folks yard, not too bad on mine.  I have always cut with my ZTR mower at the highest setting. Although I have almost 100 trees here they are scrubs yielding little shade and the yellow is out in the open.

Fungus or grubs possibly then if it's year round but you'd think it would get worse if unchecked.  You might ping dtel (down to earth landscaping)

ah ha, I wondered what Dtel stood for. That boy will not escape me in Hope!

You are way off conceptually.  Are you growing a golf course or a lawn?  Clover is a nitrogen fixer for the soil.  Not a bad thing.  Scotts anything is a bad thing.  Switch to organic fertilizer, and try aeration.  Newsflash:  Lawns are not golf courses.  Don't confuse the two.  Golf course horticulture is evil. 

Clover is a nitrogen fixer for the soil.

Clover around here is a very bad on lawns and golf courses. People are pizzed about losing their (golf) balls in clover on the courses. In lawns it is a very pervasive weed.

try aeration

I live on SAND, it is not hard packed soil.

But while we are at it, what does your response have to do with fixing spots of yellow in my lawn?

Please do tell how I get rid of the sand burrs as well.

Edited by USNRET

If you want a golf course go ahead.  If you are dead set on monoculture deal with the good folks at Monsanto.  They will be glad to help you out.  Losing your balls?  Not my problem.  If you want to be a part of the problem there are lots of corporations willing to help.  A lawn is a lawn, and will look good with regular mowing regardless of what is growing there.  Or there is always the alternative to putting all kinds of crap into the water supply with the crap you apply to your lawn.  It is your land, and everyone else's water supply.  Let your conscience be your guide.

• Like 1

If you want a golf course go ahead.  If you are dead set on monoculture deal with the good folks at Monsanto.  They will be glad to help you out.  Losing your balls?  Not my problem.  If you want to be a part of the problem there are lots of corporations willing to help.  A lawn is a lawn, and will look good with regular mowing regardless of what is growing there.  Or there is always the alternative to putting all kinds of crap into the water supply with the crap you apply to your lawn.  It is your land, and everyone else's water supply.  Let your conscience be your guide.

Ok, I got it. You have an issue with some things; I can live with that. Make sure that you sell off all your electronics that use power and are are not needed for human survival before you lecture me on my lawn.

Edited by USNRET

I'm with the one above me, however, I wasn't always in this camp.  I have 417 Bermuda in my yard.  First, St. Augustine and Bermuda are not native to the US.  St. Augustine and the hybrid bermuda I have require a lot more water than native grasses.  I too was once sold by the golf course look, but as our population increases in areas with limited rain we can not sustain these type of lawns. Do a search for a mix of native grasses for Texas.  There is a blend that a professor from UT came up with that is very successful here in Texas.