Grass - in Tx not Colorado; what gives

USNRET

We get 40 percent of our electricity from wind power.

Not in this burg, they elected to forgo the investment and even though the local wind generator farms are causing major issues with air traffic control radar returns all the electricity generated is sold elsewhere; I get to pay full price of natural gas generation.

are you sure it is clover and not medicago

Darned if I know, we just call it clover

Yes I have an issue with unneeded chemicals in the water supply. Are you saying you don't?

Nope, not saying that but OUR guvment are dictating a whole lot more than I am putting there. I even quit dumping my oil from my cars years ago!

But while we are at it, what does your response have to do with fixing spots of yellow in my lawn

Use an organic fertilizer.  Your lawn sounds as described as chlorotic.

Searching for cholortic, thanks for the help

You can use as a top dressing but working it into the soil is better and should yield faster results.  if you have an aerator use it to work it in.  If you golf top dress and stomp all over with your golf shoes on.  This will not disturb the runners enough for harm.  I would not till an existing lawn.

"Nitrogen is by far the element needed most by your lawn. It promotes root and blade growth and is responsible for the healthy green color of the grass. Without enough nitrogen your lawn will grow slowly and become yellowish. With too much, a lawn will grow too rapidly causing thatch build-up that can lead to disease problems. Nitrogen is also the element used up the quickest."

http://www.grassmaster.com/tips-tricks/fertilizing-tips/

So even though I use this (iron) I need more nitrogen? Seems weird that it is basically the same spots every year.

Since you're using SCOTTS Fertilizer 2 and 3 times a year, I seriously doubt lack of Nitrogen is your problem. Particularly the weed and feed (32 - 0 - 9). I use SCOTT'S too, and it helps establish a healthy root system,...... but I'll tell you what,..... nothing, and I mean nothing I've seen or heard of helps a lawn more than good old fashion compost.

I just finished (2 weeks ago) spreading this stuff (http://www.kitchenpride.com/compost.aspx) across 1.5 acres of Emerald Zoysia. About 12 cubic yards spread by hand with a wheel barrel and a shovel. Breaks my back every freaking time. Our yard smells like shyt for a few weeks, but I'll tell you what, with another good rainfall, by Easter, the yard is going to turn back into a sea of green.

If you've got your own trailer, or can rent one, you can go get the compost yourself, it's extremely cheap compared to what nurseries charge. I buy it for $10 per cubic yard. And what it will do to your yard, will keep you going back for more every year.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe your lawn (Floratam St Augustine) requires quite a bit of shade, and does not like direct sun light or excessive sun light. Which living in South Pardre, I can't imagine being possible to avoid direct sunlight, and don't know what shade trees you have, but I hope you have plenty.

FWIW, try some good quality compost with manure in it, chicken manure is by far the best there is, or you may want to try some worm casings, which can get pricey, but it is the best there is, period.

EDIT:

Here's pic of a bag of Worm Casings...... use this stuff when you want to grow a veg. garden that'll win the State Fair competition. Purely organic, your plant output will go through the roof.

post-10277-0-47140000-1426961761_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

Please do tell how I get rid of the sand burrs as well.

Hand pulling.  It is the only way.  I have been there and done it.  Get the roots up.

Yep, crab grass and dandelions, hand pulling is the only way..... unless you want to use Round Up and don't mind having dead spots. Personally, I'm a bit anti-chemical too when it comes to gardening. Though I do you a good pruning spray to protect sawn tree branches from getting beetles.

Get yourself one of these, so you don't have to spend time on your hands and knees. They work awesome, best to use about a day or two after the rain.

post-10277-0-52140000-1426961291_thumb.j

Edited by Gilbert

you might want to give a close look at those yellow patches, if they  contain different grass or something else e.g. type of weed. It dies or goes into hybernation when water is not enough and shows up as yellow patches... If you closely look at the bottom right corner of the pic there is blue/violet color together with the lawn. What's that?

f you closely look at the bottom right corner of the pic there is blue/violet color together with the lawn. What's that?

Our monitors must be different, don't see it nor on the iPad I took it with. Raining to beat the devil right now so no live look.

Edited by USNRET