What's your approach to "make me an offer"....?

jimjimbo

I occasionally post Wanted ads on CL for various things, mainly speakers, amps, etc.  More often than not, I will receive responses from people that say..."Make me an offer on X"........so, because I've now become used to this, I will be very nice and say something like..."Please provide a few photos and your asking price, and I will be happy to make an offer, however I really can't make a realistic determination until I can see some photos and a description, thanks very much..." 

Then I'll get, "Make me an offer on these, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time taking pictures".....

I've just about given up with a great majority of these folks...too much drama, and apparently too difficult for them to follow through.

I'm from West Virginia, where you "never buy a pig in a poke."  :)

Jim, I agree with you, I don't even look at CL listings without pictures.  There are too many scammers and I don't want to deal with them.  I can deal with someone who posts a picture and a price, but no pictures or no posted price is a non-starter.

IF I wanted an item sight unseen, I might offer a "I really don't want to buy it" low ball offer.  But I've never done that, I just pass on the item for the same reasons you have, not wanting to deal with the drama issues of CL sellers.

• Like 1

Guest Steven1963

If they cannot provide pictures in their original posting then they are either very ignorant or trying to scam.  Considering the times we are in, I honestly can't determine if that ratio would be 50/50.

Sort of OT...my wife posted an ad of some glass tables we are selling.  She got a response to the ad all in Spanish. We had to google translate it, which turned out to be an inquiry as to whether we would sell the tables separately. My daughter (20 yrs) said we should reply in Spanish using google to reverse translate our reply.  I gave her a look and told her I didn't think that would happen, as we are still in the United States.

Long story short, I suppose in a few years I'll be one of those ignorant posters since I won't be posting in Spanish.

I have done a fair amount of business on AudioGon over the years and I first check condition backed with photos and the sellers feedback history. I usually offer 85% of the asking including shipping. By no means do I consider that a "lowball" offer and more often than not a deal is accepted or one worked very close to those numbers.

I sold a pair of LaScalas on Saturday. He paid through PayPal immediately, but PayPal says they will not release the money until April 12th.  I emailed the buyer on Sunday...no response. I emailed on Monday...no response. I emailed today...no response. So I called him. I explained that I would be away later in the week and wanted to agree on a delivery date. He said he would pick them up today. I said, "You know these are in Rochester, New York. You are in New Haven, Connecticut." He said "No, problem. I will call you later with a time." Didn't hear from him for several hours so I texted. He said he would be here this evening and would give me the time shortly. Still have not heard from him.

I am leery of PayPal holding the money until April 12 and releasing the speakers today to someone I do not know. Also, this whole pickup thing is a bit unusual. I just don't like selling to someone I do not know.

I am leery of PayPal holding the money until April 12 and releasing the speakers today to someone I do not know.

Holding it that long is basically PayPal's way of saying they don't trust you, not the buyer.  You should be able to tell if it has cleared or whatever.  If they are a confirmed buyer and it isn't an e-check it should be ok but I'd look into it.  

I am leery of PayPal holding the money until April 12

If it's not available to you to use than technically you don't have it.  It may be nothing, as I don't know why they do that, but it's odd.
Edited by CECAA850

I occasionally post Wanted ads on CL for various things, mainly speakers, amps, etc.  More often than not, I will receive responses from people that say..."Make me an offer on X"........so, because I've now become used to this, I will be very nice and say something like..."Please provide a few photos and your asking price, and I will be happy to make an offer, however I really can't make a realistic determination until I can see some photos and a description, thanks very much..." 

Then I'll get, "Make me an offer on these, otherwise I'm not going to waste my time taking pictures".....

I've just about given up with a great majority of these folks...too much drama, and apparently too difficult for them to follow through.

I'd say either they are shady or are lazy idiots.  Maybe shady lazy idiots.  I dunno.  I can see some shady guy trying to find such a thing at a pawn shop or stealing it after he gets a price from you.  

For me it would depend on how bad I want said item(s.) If it was some what rare and I really wanted it, I would offer the seller my absolute max price I'd pay to hopefully get me in front of the item. I would then determine how much I'd actually be willing to pay based on condition etc and be fully prepared to walk away if it was just in too bad of shape or we couldn't agree on a fair price. Obviously if the item(s) were hundreds of miles away that wouldn't work though. If it was just a run of the mill type item I wasn't really interested in personally but thought I might be able to flip I'd just send out a low ball offer and forget about it. If he answers back great, if not, so long.

Edited by jjptkd

I'd say either they are shady or are lazy idiots.  Maybe shady lazy idiots.  I dunno.  I can see some shady guy trying to find such a thing at a pawn shop or stealing it after he gets a price from you.  

Yes, I'm thinking that some are just looking for pricing without putting out any real effort, and probably don't have the item to begin with if they can't furnish photos.  Oh well, no big loss.

I sold a pair of LaScalas on Saturday. He paid through PayPal immediately, but PayPal says they will not release the money until April 12th.  I emailed the buyer on Sunday...no response. I emailed on Monday...no response. I emailed today...no response. So I called him. I explained that I would be away later in the week and wanted to agree on a delivery date. He said he would pick them up today. I said, "You know these are in Rochester, New York. You are in New Haven, Connecticut." He said "No, problem. I will call you later with a time." Didn't hear from him for several hours so I texted. He said he would be here this evening and would give me the time shortly. Still have not heard from him.

I am leery of PayPal holding the money until April 12 and releasing the speakers today to someone I do not know. Also, this whole pickup thing is a bit unusual. I just don't like selling to someone I do not know.

Guy sounds like a flake and someone I would not want in my home. I guess paranoid in this crazy world. Good luck and be careful.

With any vehicle sale on CL I meet them at a busy store parking lot, they don't need to see anything but the sale item.