Finally....My Stonehenge Build Thread!

dewthedru

I had several different subs that sounded better after a break-in period.  But, they still should be a little impressive from the start.  What subs are you coming from dewthedru?  The 4th light (red) should come on at max value.  Mines comes on all the time and it mean you are near clipping.  It is Ok for the light to momentarily blink.

It almost sounds like the polarity is reversed on one of the subs or maybe they're collectively out of phase with the mains.  Clipping that amp with those subs should shake things up pretty good.

When I built the Lil Wrecker and set it up at mxrdads house I found out where the volume was at 80 Db's on the mains (no sub) and unplugged them.  I kept the same volume setting and set the sub to 85-86 dB's.  When I turned them all on, the meter read low 70's (cancellation).  I checked the wiring from the driver to the amp and it was fine.  Once I reversed polarity at the sub amp it kicked some major hiney.

• Like 1

Once I reversed polarity at the sub amp it kicked some major hiney.

See, this is what I don't know, but what I suspect.  I don't think the subs are getting the proper signal yet.  The correct polarity and getting a solid connection in those Speakons has been a problem for a LOT of people.  I have read that in many other sub threads that deal with less-than-great output.

I hesitate to jump in as there are so many knowledgeable people who DO know what they're talking about.  I don't want to guess and take time and energy away from the correct solutions.

The I Nuke clip lights don't come on until you are using over 1000 + watts.  He may be in a null and need to moves his seating.  A spl meter would get some quick answers.  Also, If he plays on sub and adds the second he should see a 3 db gain roughly.  Phase is kinda strange.  I have two front and on rear sub's phase set to 0 and the other rear sub at 180.  I have phase problems when two subs are 0 or 180 in the front and the opposite in the back.  It is probably related to the room shape.

Just for the heck of it I ordered a Cleanbox Pro and good XLR cables for between the Cleanbox and the amp. We'll see...

If your clip lights on the amp are coming on, you won't need it.  I wish you were closer, we could knock it out in no time.  I'd really consider taking Derrick up on his offer.

The I Nuke clip lights don't come on until you are using over 1000 + watts.  He may be in a null and need to moves his seating.  A spl meter would get some quick answers.  Also, If he plays on sub and adds the second he should see a 3 db gain roughly.  Phase is kinda strange.  I have two front and on rear sub's phase set to 0 and the other rear sub at 180.  I have phase problems when two subs are 0 or 180 in the front and the opposite in the back.  It is probably related to the room shape.

This is what I don't know.  It seems to me that 1,000 watts with two 18" subs, he ought to be knocking squirrels out of trees with the sound pressure.

Lol. See. That's exactly what I mean. I didn't spend all this time and money to only have a mildly annoyed wife when I go upstairs. I want to have her come down shouting and asking wtf is wrong with me. And for the dog to start peeing on the floor. Not, hmmm...this is louder than my 12".

• Like 1

Lol. See. That's exactly what I mean.

I didn't spend all this time and money to only have a mildly annoyed wife when I go upstairs.

I want to have her come down shouting and asking wtf is wrong with me. And for the dog to start peeing on the floor. Not, hmmm...this is louder than my 12".

LOL!  Now you're talking!

You don't need an SPL meter.  Your wife's face will tell you when you've got two 18" subs firing on all cylinders!  :lol:

When I had to 18's upstairs it was nice but, the space was so big I wanted more.  They were plenty loud so the wife kicked me into the basement.  The basement made the subs even less powerful.  I closed off some spaces and added more subs.  I am down to around 4300 cu ft. now.  The current subs in my signature will knock your socks off and the room pressure and air movement is disturbing if you are not use to it.  Next week two more 18's will add more wood to the fire, lol.