Finally....My Stonehenge Build Thread!

dewthedru

i actually would run them length wise so to me they would be poted in the front and the driver would either be mounted on left or right side.

Interesting. I'd probably do the opposite. Seems like doing this would lose some of the details and punch on the directional upper end of frequencies for music, while firing omnidirectional sub-bass that doesn't matter in terms of how its pointed right towards the listener, plus any midrange that comes through the port which is sometimes a down side of ported boxes would be ushered right towards your ears instead of being allowed to dissipate.

What could be interesting though is if you could do what you're saying but then attach the two boxes into a dual-opposed situation so the box vibrations cancel each other out. Probably no reason why you couldn't do this. If they're going to be right beside each other anyway and this layout is chosen seems like you'd want to.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Not sure what you would "midrange" and "upper frequencies" coming to your sub? I doubt you would hear any of that otherwise companies like Svs that every sub is front ported wouldn't sell any products. This goes for a ton of the other Id companies as well.

Not sure what you would "midrange" and "upper frequencies" coming to your sub? I doubt you would hear any of that otherwise companies like Svs that every sub is front ported wouldn't sell any products. This goes for a ton of the other Id companies as well.

http://www.kicker.com/Ported_Enclosure_Pros_and_Cons

"Cons... 2 - Midrange sound coming from inside the box through the vent can produce unpleasant sound coloration."

http://www.ellisaudio.com/porthole.htm

"A front porthole will spit midrange port noise directly into the listeners face while the rear porthole will diffuse this midrange noise."

http://barefacedbass.com/technical-information/the-mysteries-of-ports.htm

"significant detrimental midrange output from the ports"

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr07/articles/subwoofers.htm

"harmonic distortion and audible port noises, or other artifacts. These occupy the mid-frequency range"

I'm sure you can minimize it by design but potential midrange noise coming through the ports is a known issue. Rear porting is known to reduce it.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Like 1

Turn the sub toward the wall an compare it to front firing.  Keep the one you like best.  Thanks for the links Metro.

you're suggested i simply rely on my ears instead of endlessly searching for "the best" way to do it per some stranger's advice or internet article?   :huh:

Edited by dewthedru
  • Like 1

Turning a sub toward the wall will 1.) load the driver and 2.) help filter out for the lack of a better word some of the higher frequencies.  Downing firing would be the best choice.  I have had front firing, down firing and rear ported subs.  Midrange voices have not been a problem with any of the subs that I have owned. 

Low bass is omnidirectional.  But, there are higher order harmonic that may call attention to the size that can be help by firing the sub into the wall or using a down firing sub.  Bass decay and reverb may also be a room problem.

Edited by derrickdj1

Turning a sub toward the wall will 1.) load the driver and 2.) help filter out for the lack of a better word some of the higher frequencies.  Downing firing would be the best choice.  I have had front firing, down firing and rear ported subs.  Midrange voices have not been a problem with any of the subs that I have owned. 

Low bass is omnidirectional.  But, there are higher order harmonic that may call attention to the size that can be help by firing the sub into the wall or using a down firing sub.  Bass decay and reverb may also be a room problem.

3d72f264b0cf2e7ad14d4eafd894c101fb52afd6

If midrange voices are come from the sub/s, set a lower XO point in the avr below 100 or 80 Hz.  If the voices are still coming thru the sub, set the XO on the sub also.  This is not commonly needed but, it can be done.  The key point is proper setup.  One can also lower the sub level to 73 db or lower. 

I calibrate each of my four sub to 63-64 db so that the combined spl is slightly less than 75 db.  I rarely sub the subs hot.  This keeps the bass balanced with the mids and hi's.  Good clean balanced bass is the goal, not things falling off the wall.  That may happen any way, lol.  Omnimic or REW are good tool to check the FR, reverb, bass decay and a few other things.

Edited by derrickdj1

(respectful Snip! I just wanted to reference the post)

I'm sure you can minimize it by design but potential midrange noise coming through the ports is a known issue. Rear porting is known to reduce it.

I gave you a "like" for your post and I wanted to comment, I found all the articles helpful.  You did a really nice job of documenting.    :emotion-21:   :emotion-21:

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 1

That is gonna be some crazy bass!

On the topic of placement, they were designed shallow yet wide and tall so they did not protrude so far into the room. It doesn't force you to place them that way, but it was the original reason for the design. Frankly, blocks in the corners and the driver facing down would make these like a table. That way you could turn them in any direction.

From your instruction sheet:

Ported subwoofers don't need as much stuffing as sealed ones.  Most people just line the inner walls with poly batting, or acoustic foam.  Some people don't use any stuffing or lining at all.