Hope I made the right decision...

cradeldorf

if you have klf30 then they are sick with leaking baffles (front and or back) and or have other issues (all of which can be repaired and upgraded) but really you have to be on drugs to believe that two eight inch woofers are blowing away two twelve inch woofers per channel. you are not thinking about this with a clear mind.

• Like 1

???????????..........Last post lost me totally...

[/quotte

Read what Cradeldorf wrote in previous post. Quote: "I heard my buddys RF3-2's the other day and they basically blew my speakers out of the water."

There is no way that this is happening his speakers are KLF30 each with a pair of twelve inch woofers if they are healthy it is not a physical possibility. Two eight inch woofers not even close. So the answer is that he has sick speakers. Hope that explains for you but if you are still confused would be a discussion for another place. The point is that two eight inch woofers are a joke next to one twelve inch woofer and it id stupid to discuss comparing to two twelve inch woofers per channel because there is nothing to compare. This is all about displacement. Travel of the driver is not an issue either because the distortion is going to be so much higher with the smaller driver. Little drivers don't make woofers you need big ones to do that.

• Like 1

I am a fan of MTM designs, and for voice/vocals I really like that 6.5" to 7" size.  It's not because of SPL, but because of the sound quality in that range.  My center has a pair of Usher 7" mid/woofs with an Usher 1" dome tweeter and it is crystal clear for TV watching and movies.

It is so clear my wife actually turns the volume down from our previous setup, because she wants to hear TV dialog, but it is relaxing for her to NOT have the speakers blaring.

Congrats on the RF-82's.  Be sure to give them some break-in time, then let us know what you think of them compared to the old speakers.

• Like 1

Moray needs to hear some 8's I think, Like I said somewhere else the bass coming from my buddys rf3's was a totally different animal and the vocal clarity was far superior to my 30's My guess is the fact that technology has advanced quite a bit in 20 years and having the crossover point up around 1400. I mean I can understand your rationale that bigger is better but until you compare the two will you realize that rule no longer applies. Better is better now days.  :)

if you have klf30 then they are sick with leaking baffles (front and or back) and or have other issues (all of which can be repaired and upgraded) but really you have to be on drugs to believe that two eight inch woofers are blowing away two twelve inch woofers per channel. you are not thinking about this with a clear mind.

I totally rebuilt both cabs with screws and oak, they are not leaking one bit. The bass in the rf's goes up much higher and was clearly noticable with a fuller richer sound. The bass is deep and impressive in the klfs but is cut off much lower. They crossover at 825 to the mid horn where the rf's cross at almost double that 1400 It's noticable.

Plus the KLF's are 36hz to 20Khz The RF's are 33hz to 24khz.

Plus two ways are closer to single point source than three ways are. :)

Edited by cradeldorf

Two eight in. woofers may be all that is needed for his taste in music.  I have large subs and the bass is not a night and day difference than running my RF 7's as large without the subs or the Fortes'.  The subs can and do add weight to the bass presentation but, only with certain music.  I am a proponent of a balanced musical presentation and do not boost the bass excepting when toying with the system.

• Like 1

I would just like to point out that bass is not the only criteria one should use when judging speakers.

That is all.

Shakey

I agree with this.  There was a thread topic on the forum somewhere that stated, “We live in the midrange.”  I’m not sure if that quote is a PWK original quote, but I’ve heard it used a lot.

What "we live in the midrange" means to me is that the “backbone” of any full range speaker is probably related to getting the mid-bass and mid-frequencies right.  If this band is not right, the rest is probably irrelevant until the backbone is fixed.

• Like 2

Sorry Moray, I did not know what speakers the OP was referring to so I thought maybe you had posted in the wrong thread about the KLF 30's. Now that I understand I see your point. I wouldn't think they would be the inferior speakers either but along with what others said, sometimes the taste in musical preference has a lot to do with what somebody likes better....for them. I guess that is why there are hundreds of speaker manufacturers so that everyone can find what suits their needs best. Carry on!

I don't think two way speakers are any closer to being a single point source. However, they do have a simpler crossover and fewer drivers. In this way, they can sound more pure and direct than a three+ way speaker, all things being equal. As in all things audio, it's more about the execution of the design than the design itself.

Shakey

• Like 5

Moray needs to hear some 8's I think, Like I said somewhere else the bass coming from my buddys rf3's was a totally different animal and the vocal clarity was far superior to my 30's My guess is the fact that technology has advanced quite a bit in 20 years and having the crossover point up around 1400. I mean I can understand your rationale that bigger is better but until you compare the two will you realize that rule no longer applies. Better is better now days.  :)

I have listened to lots of smaller speakers and like them but you cannot keep distortion low at high levels with them and they lack dynamics. Different size drivers sound different I agree. My favorite compromise happens to be a ten (a lot of bass players love tens too).

The higher crossover point is to protect the tweeter drivers and is a compromise as far as bass quality goes but not a huge one. For quality bass a lower crossover is preferred in fact this (with suitable mid driver) will result in improved low male vocal range. This is why with full size horn loaded rigs you will find horn running from 60 - 80 Hz up. I am sorry but you are very much wrong the rule applies always will apply it would be physically impossible not to. Steeper crossover slopes likely have more to do with it than you suspect in the RF series compared to the KLF. The differences in frequency response is not an issue here. Mid and Hi frequency balance have a lot to do with perceived bass quality. Did you ever swap out the poly tweeter diaphragms in your KLF30 for Bob's titanium diaphragms or even for a set of phenolic diaphragms? I too prefer a good two way over a good three way. That having been said I would not choose an RF3 tweeter horn over the horns in a KLF30 provided they were running titanium diaphragms. This whole thing might be a combination of things for you and driver size as I spoke about could well be a part of your preference. Some times though designers do special things. I have a set of JBL L200B which are two ways with a single fifteen inch and a trumpet horn loaded comp driver they can and do make magic happen when you listen to them so there are exceptions. I hope that you like your new speakers but if not there are so many more to own and enjoy while you are on your journey toward finding the right ones for you. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Well then the KLF's have a 1.5" diaphragm to do bass duty from 825 on up. Not only that but that tiny diaphragm has to keep up with what 2 12" woofers were doing just below that. This may just be an observation but perhaps maybe back in the day they built speakers that are more impressive looking to the consumer instead of what actually sounds best?  I wasn't trying to say the KLF's were bad sounding just that the RF's were a completely different sound that seemed more full/rich and clearer. hopefully I can find somebody to take these KLF's off my hands. That is if I like the new ones better.

Edited by cradeldorf