Chineezz Wind chime

Karsoncookie

Totally unbelievable - We get a wind chime two months ago from a relative as a gift.

We hang it up outside. in a geographical area that RARELY gets winds over 10 mph.

And on the North side of the house.

40 days later, the string holding it all together fails.

How stupid shitty are these people even with Cave Man technology of making string?    Lars

or mono-filament US made, this would last maybe 20 yrs?????

I guarantee it won't last that long. I actually made wind chime sets for gift for friends and it's brutal on the strings/cords.

The Chinese can made as good a quality product as the importer wants to pay. They can make very, very good products. They made good products for Klipsch, but Klipsch had to pay more for those products. Once the costs were higher than the costs to build here, they brought production back to the US.

Don't misunderstand me, the Chinese government is repressive and vast numbers of the population live in terrible conditions. Many who work in factories are making more than they have ever made in their lives. What we often forget is that it doesn't take as much to live over there. We can't directly compare our incomes to theirs.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

or mono-filament US made, this would last maybe 20 yrs?????

I guarantee it won't last that long. I actually made wind chime sets for gift for friends and it's brutal on the strings/cords.

The Chinese can made as good a quality product as the importer wants to pay. They can make very, very good products. They made good products for Klipsch, but Klipsch had to pay more for those products. Once the costs were higher than the costs to build here, they brought production back to the US.

Don't misunderstand me, the Chinese government is repressive and vast numbers of the population live in terrible conditions. Many who work in factories are making more than they have ever made in their lives. What we often forget is that it doesn't take as much to live over there. We can't directly compare our incomes to theirs.

Bruce

by our standards - they are in extreme poverty and semi-slavery to the state -and tons of child labour - they all want to leave the country and would dream of coming to the USA -

Edited by Randyh

They want to beat the USA and many there think they will.

You ever been there?

Bruce

the average person on the street  knows that they are much better off now than before - their  immediate concern , is to find a way out of poverty , heavy pollution , sickness , -and that takes time -

the ones who have the chance to immigrate are very happy to leave -

Edited by Randyh

I bought a set of Woodstock chimes as a gift for my parents in '98. This was back when they were still made in West Hurley, and just before they got really popular.

They've been hanging off their back door for over 17 years...no problems. Paid for what at the time was a small fortune, but it was simply a matter of buy once, cry once. Remarkable quality at the time, they hardly show any wear.

• Moderators

The best thing I have found to re-string wind chimes is sold at a fishing store. The braded line made for fishing, I don't know what it's made of but it last and is very strong and no thicker than the heavy monofilament, I forget the name.

dtel-   Ya, decent braided fishing line in general terms is what I don't get why they didn't use initially.

Maybe would have added 1 cent to the cost for farrr greater longevity.

But thats my point.

Either the mfg OR the US co specing and ordering the product doesn't care. 

Just ridiculous either way.     Lars

• Moderators

In that case it's whoever is buying. If we wanted to get something made overseas we set how or what quality materials are used to match what were trying to get out of it (charge). If the builder changes that it up to us to decline because it's not what was ordered. Now if it's just made and sold over here by whoever is making it anything goes, so it would depend. 

I would guess both are happening including companies ordering the cheapest builds, which probably equal junk. And price means little as far as quality goes, packaging and a good name brand can be deceiving, it's the game every company plays. You never know

Ya, so also now we have somekinda thing with some chickens I think raised in US, then when ready to harvest, are shipped to Jina to butcher, then sent back to us.

Very interesting how thats cost effective.

And so now we have a commercial on TV, I think Perdue with an animated folksy farmer with a straw hat and cute little chickens running around and American flags- message is --We have USA chickens.

And what about the Hillshire Farms sausage commercial showing the old faded barn and grounds like an idyllic Wisconsin generations old homestead ?

I'm very glad I've seen those commercials, now I know , because I have seen, the actual family farms where the chickens and sausages come from.   Lars