Few questions about the RC64ii vs RC62ii

gadgtfreek

if you listen to these two side by side the rc-64ii is not 2.3 times better of a center. its just not. sorry if you disagree with that but I'm sure most who have heard both and HONEST about PERFORMANCE ALONE then they would agree as well. 

It's not that people don't agree, it's that this is the case with anything in life worth having.  There comes to a point of diminishing return very quickly.  

Case in point, since I like car examples, you can easily find a new Cadillac ATS that is 2.3 times more than a Hyundai Elantra.  Is it 2.3 times nicer?  Well, no, its not.  I've driven both.  You are still in a smallish box of similar shapes that rolls down the road.  Both are fun to drive, the engines aren't even all that much different.  The warranty is probably actually better on the Elantra.  Why is it 2.3 times more if its not 2.3 times better?  This isn't even street values like what is being ignored here either, that's actually what you would pay.  

It's like they say in NASCAR... the first 200 mph is cheap.  It's the next 20 that's expensive.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

It's like a guy I know says about building race engines, It costs 10% to get you 90% performance and it costs you 90% to get that last 10. Similar to the NASCAR reference.

I recently upgraded to the 64 II and I'm very happy with it. I've never heard the 62 but I moved up from the RC-7 and I'm very glad I did. At first I was a little put off by the seemingly lack of bass as compared to the 7 but that was only running the centers by themselves head to head. As soon as I plugged my mains back in the 64 II does exactly what it should, project extremely clear and precise sound.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. I have read a lot of reviews on the 64ii, and clean and clear sound gets mentioned a lot. I think that is what I am noticing right now, that the 7ii's have exposed with the 62ii horn. 

It always sounded great to me, I guess because it complimented the 82ii's well. Now hearing the 1.75" 7ii horn in unison, you realize it is just "better" than the 1".

Edited by gadgtfreek

The "tweeter" and finish is probably the biggest thing

easily!

And the cherry veneer does easily trump the black vinyl.

EASILY!!

as for the price difference. you guessed with those two thing. the performance is not there for the double the price.

Hey Scrappy.

Sorry I may have chose my words unwisely and gave a miss-impression. :)

The point I was trying to make was it's hard to quantify what having a voice-matched center channel is especially when you are talking about that speaker alone. IOW. if a person with a limited budget came on who had no speakers but wanted to get the RC-64II for a big percentage of their $2500 budget we both would either steer him to the used market or the RC-62II and matching speakers...

I guess my comments were geared more to the people who have a larger budget and where they should start, which would be consider the COMPLETE Front Sound Stage--If they already owned a Denon AVR-4520ci, RF-7IIs along with 2 capable subs I suggest the very next thing they should invest in is the RC-64II (and then surrounds), which should be more noticeable than adding an amp to that setup, imo.

if you listen to these two side by side the rc-64ii is not 2.3 times better of a center. its just not. sorry if you disagree with that but I'm sure most who have heard both and HONEST about PERFORMANCE ALONE then they would agree as well. 

It's not that people don't agree, it's that this is the case with anything in life worth having.  There comes to a point of diminishing return very quickly.

If we are talking about folks that have a keen interest in Home Theater then all of the car analogies aside, one should consider a budget first and then weigh out the options...Fwiw, not working with a budget a person is either rich or is going to spend alot of money for things other than SQ and aesthetics. 

My take on the two speakers is that the 64 offers a bigger sound stage.  Build quality basically the same as far as function.  Depending on the avr the difference in tweeter size may or may not be a factor.  Some important factors, width of room.  For smaller rooms the 64 may not be needed for a bigger sound stage.

If the the 64 is in budget, get it.  Both speaker are audibly clear and voices sound good.  At extreme volume the 62 will have some problems keeping up with the RF 7 II's but, no reasonable person would used the speakers at this extreme to watch a movie or multichannel music.  The RC 62 is a solid speaker. The key is match gear to room size, and personal preference.

Depending on the avr the difference in tweeter size may or may not be a factor.

The snap of the beater on the skin of kick drums and some cymbals have a significantly different tone through the 1" compression driver vs. the 1.75", which is more pleasant and thicker/stronger sounding. Part of that may be due to the lower crossover point, I'm not sure. The bigger one is better though. I haven't had the 62 but I have had the RP-450C and was able to switch back and forth on the same material with the same receiver. There's definitely a difference.  You can also hear this same difference in the tweeters on the RS-62ii surrounds which I have four of, should be the same tweeters that are on the 62.  However, with speech and other normal sounds on movies, the RP-450C blended with my RF-7ii's surprisingly well.  On some material though (Metallica), I couldn't switch back to my RC-64ii fast enough.  Just depends on the source material.  

IMG_2891_zps690a4409.jpg

• Like 1

Is 0.0 db on the volume setting reasonable or extreme?

:)

I watch movies between -3 and there. In theory those of us with similar gear should have similar SPLs at those volumes if we ran Audyssey correctly. B)

i used to think this also since it seemed to be a standard. But there are up to 20db swings for reference on different brand Avr's. It's insane.

Well yeah audyssey will always be the same. Kansas City Avs compared mcacc, ypao, trininov, arc, onkyos new EQ and one other I can't remember.

Ummm. Well, you responded to my quote by saying

i used to think this also since it seemed to be a standard. But there are up to 20db swings for reference on different brand Avr's. It's insane.

and I WAS talking about Audyssey in the post you quoted.

Edited by tkdamerica

With the crappy consumer microphone, I think there can be large swings just between different times that you run audessey calibration with the same equipment. I have a calibrator visiting me soon, he doesn't even like audessey pro.

When Chad B was in last Feb, right after I got my second sub, he did an audyssey pro cal for me, and then did his own tweaking. Was really nice. Once I am done with all this, he will be due back in around July for my plasma touchup, I will probably go ahead and let him do the audio again. He can also just do REW with a nice mic he has.

Im pretty OCD about my audyssey process. The trim levels and distances are usually the same, if not close, and the test tone levels are always right at 75db (0.0 volume). I bought one of these to be able to do that without the radio shack meter offsets.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XH9PY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by gadgtfreek

Well yeah audyssey will always be the same. Kansas City Avs compared mcacc, ypao, trininov, arc, onkyos new EQ and one other I can't remember.

Ummm. Well, you responded to my quote by saying

and I WAS talking about Audyssey in the post you quoted.
ok? I was simply adding for those reading that DONT have audyssey that the volumes WILL BE very different.

Any of you guys run the 64II at 60hz?

I know it's freq response starts around 59hz, but my RC62II in my room actually could be set at 60hz according to mic tests by a calibrator and its actual in room response. I never did though.