Is it true that certain receivers are warmer than others?

MikeAK

All I know is there must be a reason those Onkyo folks all seem to have external amps and it was a poster on AVS who was an Onkyo fan point this out to me.

Probably the same reason since 2008 that I have used an external amp with an AVR.  The power delivery is more effortless, the punch is tighter, and the dynamics are almost endless, especially when you have a large room(almost 6000ft3) like I have.

Even when I replaced my Onkyo TX-SR705 with a 52lbs flagship NAD T773, which alone could drive just about any multichannel speaker setup to crazy levels, I still used my B&K Reference 4430(200w/chx3).

Oh, another reason is those Onkyo/Integra flagship AVR's make great pre/pros(same as PR-SC5508/DHC-80.3 but without on board amps). :emotion-21:  :emotion-21:

Bill 

All I know is there must be a reason those Onkyo folks all seem to have external amps and it was a poster on AVS who was an Onkyo fan point this out to me.

Probably the same reason since 2008 that I have used an external amp with an AVR.  The power delivery is more effortless, the punch is tighter, and the dynamics are almost endless, especially when you have a large room(almost 6000ft3) like I have.

Hey, I wasn't trying to diss Onkyo and you get what you pay for--They were considerably cheaper than the Denons and we only have a 2,000 cu ft Library Home Theater (Gear listed in sig)  where I do critical listening...That said, I am now using the amp section in that Denon AVR-4806 to drive a 5 .1 Home Theater using KLF-20s/C-7/RS-7s and a KSW 15 in a 16,000 cu ft space and it sounds pretty awesome--I am sure I would benefit from an external amp in there if we listened as loud as we do in the library, but even then If I were to allot funds it would be for more subwooferage. ;)

Edited by tkdamerica

Hey, I wasn't trying to diss Onkyo

Didn't think that at all.

That said, I am now using the amp section in that Denon AVR-4806 to drive a 5 .1 Home Theater using KLF-20s/C-7/RS-7s and a KSW 15 in a 16,000 cu ft space and it sounds pretty awesome

Now that's a big room.

I am sure I would benefit from an external amp in there if we listened as loud as we do in the library, but even then If I were to allot funds it would be for more subwooferage.

Probably so but I assume you are not trying to fill that large space with big volume levels so your Denon is probably doing just fine.  A few big subs most likely would benefit you more in that space.

Bill

Great discussion going on here. I really appreciate everyones opinion and suggestions. My local BestBuy is a Pioneer Elite seller so I will see if I can get a hold of an elite model. Set it up in my own environment to give it a fair shake. I may just grab both models and do a true comparison and return the "loser". I sure like the look of that Marantz though.

Try the Pioneer and dont be too quick to judge. MCAAC is easy to learn, just follow the bouncing ball. I can tell you that no matter which one you choose, settings is everything with modern AVR. I can change settings and make it sound completly different so if something doesnt sound right, check those settings. Both AVR's will sound good. That being said, with these AVR's being fairly equal, I highly recommend you look more at features/options. You may want pre-outs even though you dont think you want separates right now, you might change your mind. Maybe you have a friend that can bring an amp over to hear it? Or you find a great deal on a used amp? 

Look at the remotes on each, 4K, 3D, inputs/outputs, HDMI pass through, display (watch out for those porthole windows on Marantz unless you like that), Atmos, 12v triggers, are the triggers assignable? Etc, etc. 

Try to be as future-proof as possible while knowing what you buy today will be outdated sooner or later. 

If you don't listen...You don't hear.  No one should buy based on specs or someone else's opinion. Those might merely confirm what you hear.

SSH

Although there is some truth to what you say above, paying attention to the specs also give you some things to consider because there are a ton of seemingly similar choices...One of the most important things being discussed with the RF-7 series is that they dip below 4 Ohms at several frequencies (above what you would send to the sub) and it would be wise to audition AVRs that are rated to drive speakers that are 4 Ohm (especially if you are going to listen at loud volume).

That said and in that category, there probably isn't much difference between brands and if NOT going Dolby Atmos, a discontinued model at a good discount should be sought. imo. {Note: Most AVRs on the market are NOT rated to drive 4 Ohm speakers.}

The last comment I'll make is that it actually takes alot of time to audition products and it's good to get a few ideas before engaging in the task...I think researching EQ programs is a good start along with what I said above. {Note: for some, the 4 Ohm requirement may not be an issue unless you are hearing distortion.}

Edited by tkdamerica

I think it is all in the speakers. I can hook my Marantz SR-7009 up to an 88 Special and there's nothing warm about it whatsoever. I do however think different receivers can have different processing which can sound warmer with the nicer offerings. I have a cheap Sony receiver and certain processing modes is harsh as can be. Compared to a $2,000 Marantz, yeah the Marantz can sound warmer, but in direct mode and maybe only EQ, I don't think there's really much difference in terms of the subject at hand.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

16,000 cu ft space

What on earth, that's nearly twice the size of my living room. I'm surprised at that because my living room is 31x32 with 9' ceilings and is actually my living room, kitchen, foyer, office, dining room, and hallway all in the same space. :)

16,000 ft is screaming for some cinema speakers!!!

Can't argue with that except to say it aint going to happen unless Klipsch wants to give me some to demo. ;)

16,000 cu ft space

What on earth, that's nearly twice the size of my living room. I'm surprised at that because my living room is 31x32 with 9' ceilings and is actually my living room, kitchen, foyer, office, dining room, and hallway all in the same space. :)

It's a 1600 sq ft workout room with 10 ft ceilings. Again, our primary theater is only 2,000 cu ft.

Edited by tkdamerica