Passwords

Guest Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Has there been a technology developed that will fix my problem?

A majority of my interactions with the business world are done online using secure websites. But each of them seem to have their own way of developing their password algorithm's. Some will allow you to use special characters, others wont. Some require at least one upper case letter and a number, other's won't allow a number. Some need only be 5 characters long, other want a minimum of 8. On and on and on.

Consequently I have acquired a number of different passwords. I have to write them all down and refer to them sometimes, especially on sites that I do not frequent often.  There has got to be a better way.

• Like 1

• Moderators

OT, not to change the subject but I must say you look just like a little younger version of my brother in law, every time I see your avatar it reminds me of him.

carry on please..................

Guest Steven1963

Some people say I look like Bill Clinton. I'm not seeing it. Time to change it anyway (my avatar).

Thanks for the info, guys!  I'll look into them.

Edited by Steven1963

Guest Steven1963

Allz I said is I should morph the two of them and use it as an avatar...then decided to delete it and just do it instead. But I can't find any suitable images and free software to make it effective.

I have a system that has worked for me for a very long time.

Pick a significant 4 or 5 digit number. An anniversary or a kid's birthday or any number that easy to remember. Combine it with the initials of whatever site you're working with. Add a punctuation that's appropriate to the site or easy to remember.

For example to sign in to Bank of America the password would be BoA12345$ and the password for here would be KCF12345

One of the best things about this system is that it makes a unique password for every site. Should one of them be compromised all of the others are still secure. Too many people use the same password everywhere they visit. That's bad bad bad.

Obviously some sites would require a little adjustment based on their password rules using the system outlined above will take care of 95% of the secure sites you visit and also be easy to remember.

Edit to add: No I don't have BoA account and no that is NOT my password at this site.

Edited by teknoid

I am skeptical about password apps. Here is why. If I were a super hacker and wanted to get into the most places the quickest, I would make a database of all the websites, userID's and passwords I could. I would hire the world to enter, verify and maintain that database. I would be the only person who knows about it. What do you suppose that database would be worth on the open market? Sell it, take the billion dollars, and start over...

You think a clever programmer can't hide code that would make this easy, think again. The security of any program is only as good as the least scrupulous coder. What's more, the security company may use libraries developed by others, which in itself if a security risk.

Guest Steven1963
Edit to add: No I don't have BoA account and no that is NOT my password at this site.

:angry: After reading your post, I was opening a new browser window to try it out, then I read ^. :D

• Like 1

• Administrators
I have a system that has worked for me for a very long time.

I have a very similar system and it works like a charm. (I no longer use a password manager)