Computer Guys - Email Server Question

tigerwoodKhorns

I need another user to be able to access my emails and sort them.  I have a lot of emails and they are very important and I need to save them to my server.  Outlook saves everything to my C drive which I do not like.  I really want these emails on my server so that they are on the mirror raid.

I am using Windows 7 and will be installing Office 2010 or 2013.  I am not opposed to using Thinderbird for email if needed. 

It looks like I need a Microsoft Exchange Server, which looks to be very expensive.  Is there another way to do this?  I know that Thunderbird keeps mail in local folders. 

How can I set this up.  I get a lot of emails and I want my wife to be able to access then at the same time that I do and keep everything organized. 

Thanks. 

In Outlook, your data resides in a .pst file.  In the left pane of Outlook, right-click on your email address, and you can look at the properties.  Note that you can find the .pst file name and path under "advanced."  Try to copy the pst file to a cloud drive (maybe you have MS OneDrive like me).  Then, see if you can create a "new folder," which is what MS is using to handle your emails.  Maybe you cna import the cloud data into it.  Play around with that concept and see where it goes.  Outlook has import/export as well, but it runs very slowly.  Be prepared to go find something else to do for a good while if you have a lot of emails stored,

• Like 1

Leave a copy of the emails on the server. It is a setting in Outlook. You can also say to delete copy on server when trash is cleaned. That way even the trash can is still on the original mail server until you empty the trash and hit send/receive.

Edited by mustang guy
  • Like 1

Easy to do, but harder to describe over the internet. Just Google...

"Outlook default inbox location"

And you'll get more than enough reading material to accomplish what you want to do.

Doing this can allow you to change the local storage location to another computer or server. You would need to create a network share on the server somewhere and access it via a mapped network drive like Z:

Does your email provider support IMAP? If so migrate your POP account to an IMAP account. Doing so means ALL of your email is stored on their servers and can be accessed by any authorized user from any PC. No "Exchange Server" required.

This kind of stuff is what I do for a living. If you need more info feel free to PM me to hook up by phone.

• Like 1

Does your email provider support IMAP? If so migrate your POP account to an IMAP account. Doing so means ALL of your email is stored on their servers and can be accessed by any authorized user from any PC. No "Exchange Server" required.

This kind of stuff is what I do for a living. If you need more info feel free to PM me to hook up by phone.

I will PM you.  This is a little more complicated than changhing to IMAP (at least I think it is). 

I need more help here. 

If I use an online (cloud) exchange server, will I have instantaneous access to my emails?  I really need to be able to use subfolders and organize my emails.  I get a ton of them and need my wife to have access at the same tiem as I do so that she can take over or monitorign them and organizing. 

Gmail does not have folders, which will never work for me. 

Shoudl I just build an exchange server? 

Is an exchange server a separate server or just software that runs on an existing server? 

Hosted Exchange works well.  I can't imagine you would want to mess with an Exchange server at home but you certainly could.  You will hear varied opinions on having the same mail box opened by more than one user.  In the past, we recommended against it for fear of corruption.  I do it all the time in practice as do a lot of people.  One difference though is that I'm never making a change from two places at once like might occur with you.  I'm curious to hear how Microsoft would answer this question these days.  I'd contact them directly about their Hosted Exchange.  

Our local internet provider was using Google as the email server and they just got dumped.  In the process, Windows 7 does not come with any email system or (MS Office).  I had Outlook 2003 which didn't have the right encryption TSL or TLS, cant remember. Long story short, I just converted to Thunderbird yesterday and it seems to work just fine. It did back up all of my emails from the provider sever and put them in a handy folder just under my inbox, so nothing was lost.   You will have to download the add on calendar for appointments and reminders which wasn't a big deal. 

sign up for Office 365, share your login credentials with your wife, call it a day.

Do you pay for this online Thad?

Do i personally? No, I use Exchange with my company and imap through my hosting provider (mediatemple.net).

People in general, however, do sign up and pay online for Office 365 as a SaaS model.

Thanks. Just pulled it up. Home edition is $100

I need more help here.

Is an exchange server a separate server or just software that runs on an existing server?

Yes, you do need more help... But what you're asking, and the fact that you're asking, leads me to believe you don't understand the scope of needing or "building" an exchange server.

But to answer your basic question... "Exchange Server" (mail, calendar and contact mgmt info) is software that runs on a computer. To run/install "Exchange Server" you would need to have a computer that has "Windows Server" (software) installed and running.

Whether you have a computer with the hardware required to run the current versions of Windows Server and Exchange Server... I don't know.

"Outlook" and even "Thunderbird" (both software) can be used to access the information (mail, calendar, contacts) served up by "Exchange Server".

Outlook can also access Web based email (IMAP or POP3) services, such as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc., and provides the front end for interacting (writing, sending, receiving) with those email services.

Gmail DOES HAVE FOLDERS... You simply login and create them. You can then access these folders through Gmail's Web interface, Outlook, Thunderbird or any other email software.

And if you configure Gmail to operate in IMAP mode, ALL of your mail will stay on GMAIL's servers (in the cloud)... Whether you access Gmail through Outlook, Thunderbird or the web interface.

I'm pretty sure Gmail, Outlook (used to be Hotmail) or even Yahoo would meet your email needs... As long as they're configured correctly. Whether you access them through Outlook, Thunderbird, some other email software or their own Web interface, would be up to you.

Do i personally? No, I use Exchange with my company and imap through my hosting provider (mediatemple.net).

People in general, however, do sign up and pay online for Office 365 as a SaaS model.

Thanks. Just pulled it up. Home edition is $100

You looking at the right thing?

https://products.office.com/en-us/compare-microsoft-office-products

Thad,

I have thougth

I need more help here.

Yes, you do need more help... But what you're asking, and the fact that you're asking, leads me to believe you don't understand the scope of needing or "building" an exchange server.

But to answer your basic question... "Exchange Server" (mail, calendar and contact mgmt info) is software that runs on a computer. To run/install "Exchange Server" you would need to have a computer that has "Windows Server" (software) installed and running.

Whether you have a computer with the hardware required to run the current versions of Windows Server and Exchange Server... I don't know.

"Outlook" and even "Thunderbird" (both software) can be used to access the information (mail, calendar, contacts) served up by "Exchange Server".

Outlook can also access Web based email (IMAP or POP3) services, such as Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, etc., and provides the front end for interacting (writing, sending, receiving) with those email services.

Gmail DOES HAVE FOLDERS... You simply login and create them. You can then access these folders through Gmail's Web interface, Outlook, Thunderbird or any other email software.

And if you configure Gmail to operate in IMAP mode, ALL of your mail will stay on GMAIL's servers (in the cloud)... Whether you access Gmail through Outlook, Thunderbird or the web interface.

I'm pretty sure Gmail, Outlook (used to be Hotmail) or even Yahoo would meet your email needs... As long as they're configured correctly. Whether you access them through Outlook, Thunderbird, some other email software or their own Web interface, would be up to you.

OK, that helps.  I currently have a server that has an older version of MS Server on it.  It is about to be taken out of service (like in the next week).  My new computer has a built in raid and I wil be using that for my files, with my wife having access over the network.

I was thinking about using Linux software for the server.  I guess that I can add SOGo which is an exchange software program. 

This might be too much for a small operation, but I do have a few peopel who may be comming on soon, so maybe not.