Never Buying Seagate Again...

The History Kid

I like to store most of my media off of my PC for simple plug and play functionality. It allows me to take music with me just about anywhere. The first drive I used was a Seagate desktop storage controller (160 GB), which eventually started to slow and fail. After that, I went with Western Digital - a pair actually - which lasted me from '08 to '14. After that, I decided to try another Seagate...well...that was a mistake.

1 TB of storage, it's been just over a year, just past the warranty, and the hard drive is just not cooperating. It started with random disconnect/reconnects that decreased in frequency when I disabled the power saving features on my PC. But they still persisted every now and then. Now it won't even open a FLAC file without crashing the drive. What's more - trying to use Seagate's diagnostic tools causes a BSOD for some reason. Seagate won't even let me email their support team for advice because the device is out of warranty.

It's been just over a year...you'd think a hard drive would last longer than that.

So steamed.

Anyone got any good recommendations on external HD's besides Seagate? I'm considering going back to WD or Toshiba - but I'm wondering what some of the music server people have to recommend.

I'm using Segate for the past 8 years no problems at all , I really don't think one is better than the other just stick with what you have had the best luck with  

Get a NAS or setup Raid if you have allot of files you don't want to loose

Edited by A1UC

Guest Steven1963

WD has been my go-to HD for more than a decade. I've been building my own systems since 1995 and I've tried Seagate. Stay away from them for sure. NEVER have had a WD failure.

I had 1 failure with WD, but there was plenty of lead time, and their support was fantastic in helping me get things taken care of. Even offered to pay half of the cost of a new drive for me even though it was outside of warranty when it happened. Not sure what compelled me to try Seagate again, perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt.

A1UC, are you discussing internal or external? I'd love to get just a work station that manages music that could be accessed anywhere, but I feel that's out of my price range right now. I might be able to drop $100 on a new drive in a few weeks...just going to have to live on Pandora One until then.

I had 1 failure with WD, but there was plenty of lead time, and their support was fantastic in helping me get things taken care of. Even offered to pay half of the cost of a new drive for me even though it was outside of warranty when it happened. Not sure what compelled me to try Seagate again, perhaps giving them the benefit of the doubt.

A1UC, are you discussing internal or external? I'd love to get just a work station that manages music that could be accessed anywhere, but I feel that's out of my price range right now. I might be able to drop $100 on a new drive in a few weeks...just going to have to live on Pandora One until then.

If your on a budget then your kind of limited , for now you could do a internal back up drive or external and just setup up your PC to backup your important files - either manual or automatic

I use both WD and Seagate desktop style Hard-drives and have had a couple of the cases go bad on both but the drives remained intact. Frustrating but a relatively cheap and easy fix. Anyway, I've learned to keep doubles of everything and triples of the really important stuff. Prices have really come down a lot on storage, the Seagate 5tb drives frequently go on sale for $130 shipped.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives

Looks like maybe Hitachi should be given a try. Of course this test appears to have been done with the cheapest of all their models and not necessarily was dependability the driving factor.

I'll investigate that further later next week. Thanks for that. :)

If your on a budget then your kind of limited , for now you could do a internal back up drive or external and just setup up your PC to backup your important files - either manual or automatic

I'm actually running a netbook right now. The only workstation I have wouldn't really be suitable to upgrade, as it's on it's last legs. Might keep that in mind to start on something though towards the end of the fall.

Guest Steven1963

FWIW, I bought a couple WD Raptor 10k rpm HDs about 8 or 9 years ago. They're still humming along. I paid a premium for them, but turned out to be worth it.

The WD Passport drives are extremely reliable. Between myself and several of my friends we've had about 2 dozen in use over the last few years and I've never had or heard of one failing, highly recommended.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WD-My-Passport-2TB-Portable-External-USB-3-0-Hard-Drive-Storage-Black-WDBY8L002-/201302141510?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ede8aea46

FWIW, I bought a couple WD Raptor 10k rpm HDs about 8 or 9 years ago. They're still humming along. I paid a premium for them, but turned out to be worth it.

WD Raptor 10k   had a crap load of them  bullet proof for sure

WD, Seagate, Fujitsu, Toshiba, .... they all make top notch and cheapass HD's. Even the higher rated, Tom's HH approved durable favorites can go belly-up at any time. Best thing you can do is to be prepared for the worse, and have at least 1 portable HD for back ups.

I learned on my first HD crash. And that happened on a high dollar Fujitsu SCSI back in the late-90's. Reportedly one of the most durable HD on the planet at the time, it lasted 4 yrs.. Told myself I'd never be unprepared again, and currently run a redundant array as an alternate (D: drive), that's used for back ups and storage purposes only. Even with the redundant array, I still back up to an external HD (WD workbook) once every week or two.

Moral of the story, don't blame the manufacturer, it can happen with any make and model HD, be prepared so that the loss is maintained to a minimum.

• Like 2