Never Buying Seagate Again...

The History Kid

ALL drives fail (someday)! 

backup backup backup.

As far as Seagate goes I quit using them not too long after ST-251's were no longer manufactured.  My favorite for reliability of the day was the Mitsubishi MR535.  I still remember the parameters of these suckers I formatted so many!  I'll probably be 90 and won't recognize my family anymore but will still remember stupid stuff like this!

• Like 1

When I went 100 percent digital I looked up hard drives for weeks and what i found is the best you can hope for is a 10 percent failure rate with external drives, so I built my own drives using internal drives with external enclosures.  I used the most robust and reliable discs I could find,  going on 2 years now shipping them out and back to friends and so far they work great I have 4 of them here are links to the parts

I keep redundant backup drives, WD Passport, a primary and a backup for each group of albums/songs. As well, I have copies on DVD. This is in addition to the original files I have on my music server and any albums, CD's and tapes. Some stuff is on the Cloud too. I started doing this when I had a hard drive failure on my business PC, Seagate drive, and nearly lost all of my data for over 10 years of business. It took me a few days, some real good software and a bit of creativity, but I recovered everything and vowed that it would never happen again, barring a nuclear war/EMP/Armageddon event. I've had great luck with WD internal and external drives, which is why I still use them. Good luck.

WD, Seagate, Fujitsu, Toshiba, .... they all make top notch and cheapass HD's. Even the higher rated, Tom's HH approved durable favorites can go belly-up at any time. Best thing you can do is to be prepared for the worse, and have at least 1 portable HD for back ups.

I learned on my first HD crash. And that happened on a high dollar Fujitsu SCSI back in the late-90's. Reportedly one of the most durable HD on the planet at the time, it lasted 4 yrs.. Told myself I'd never be unprepared again, and currently run a redundant array as an alternate (D: drive), that's used for back ups and storage purposes only. Even with the redundant array, I still back up to an external HD (WD workbook) once every week or two.

Moral of the story, don't blame the manufacturer, it can happen with any make and model HD, be prepared so that the loss is maintained to a minimum.

This is, as Malette would say:

TRVTH!

They make drives by the thousands, and some will fail when you least expect them to.

Just be smart about what you use and make sure you have a backup.

Also, if it is an external drive, it could be the controller/adapter that is failing, i.e., the usb to sata.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

Thought about the bus too Marvel but I tried different machines and wires without any better results.

The drive half functions still and there hasn't been any data loss yet...sso I am hoping I can get another drive to get the files on, then reformat and see if I can't get things working again.

I miss Quantum. :dry:

Back when you were lucky to have one hard drive at all, much less a handful.

Ah well.

I've used a lot of the quantum 3.5 inch drives... This 5.25 BigFoot came out of a Compaq we used to have. It still works...

Bruce

post-5045-0-17540000-1433891628_thumb.jp

post-5045-0-28900000-1433891635_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Well, I kind of take it back.

I bought another HD today. The files copied off fine, until it got to a brick of files with a creation date between 6/7 and 6/13. Not a single one of those files wanted to copy over, and would cause the drive to hang. Running a virus scan on them also yielded extremely slow results or total hangs.

On the upside, I guess I have two 1 TB drives now.

I'm trying to see if there's a way to diagnose just those files and recover them somehow. Granted it's not a lot of files, but I'd like to keep them if at all possible. Anyone got any good ideas to do a file-check diagnostic on a set amount of files and potential recovery?

I have two WD 4TB external hard drives with my music collection (>4000 CDs), both of which I purchased when they were on sale for ~$120. I can't believe how cheap large storage devices have become....and now 6TB drives are emerging.  I keep one in my main music listening room and the other hooked up in my family room.  I also have my downloaded HD files backed up on a smaller hard drive.  I figure they can't all go bad at the same time :)

Edited by TJIann