alk universal

tanner

So I picked up a 1976 pair of belles.  Trying to find the alk aa universal network schematic I hear so much about,., anyone have a copy?  Really need to rebuild these crossovers.  Just don't have the dollars to buy a pair prebuilt.  Or something comparable.

• Like 1

Guest David H

The ALK CS-Universal is well worth it, I am not sure you can beat the price by building yourself.  $320

For a belle, I think the 500-6000 is the way to go.

Welcome to the forums.

Dave

I tried that ALK CSW network on LaScalas for a time and it did fine.  This is a good budget network and would allow you to upgrade to a Fastrac horn if you like.  There are better but they cost more!   You can attenuate the mids which is desirable when you upgrade to the Fastrac.  

Here are my comparisons (https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/146678-crossover-network-comparison/) if interested... see any Lascala comments. 

• Like 1

So I picked up a 1976 pair of belles.  Trying to find the alk aa universal network schematic I hear so much about,., anyone have a copy?  Really need to rebuild these crossovers.  Just don't have the dollars to buy a pair prebuilt.  Or something comparable.

On Al's website, click on Crossovers / Overview.  Click on the link following What's wrong with the stock Klipsch networks anyhow?

Then click on the "Here's what" link. The schematic is on the bottom of the page.

Mike

On Al's website, click on Crossovers / Overview.  Click on the link following What's wrong with the stock Klipsch networks anyhow?

Then click on the "Here's what" link. The schematic is on the bottom of the page.

Mike

In reference to the stock network, i felt the bass was a bit sloppy, and almost struggling.  I pulled these out of an old basment,  I have one cabinet complete. Had to replace the woofer in the other cabinet (so its in pieces).  Read a bit much on the different options, and enjoy building pieces into assemblies.  Figured first step would be to upgrade the crossovers.  Does alk sell kits fro the diy'er?  

Tanner...... I would recommend that you have Al build them for you while you work on other issues as I did.  I ordered Al's CSW universal crossovers for my '78 Klipschorns while I had Dave create the new wooden traktrix horns for me.   You will probably love his detailed work and also the ability to adjust the crossovers to suit your listening taste.  I love my Klipschorns more than ever now! 

Does alk sell kits fro the diy'er?

Not that I'm aware.  I think he got out of the DIY camp quite a while ago.  That's one of the reasons (but not the only reason) he removed his schematic.

Yea I think Al(ALK) got tired of people flubbing up the kits and expecting him to fix the mess. IIRC

Tanner...... I would recommend that you have Al build them for you while you work on other issues as I did.  I ordered Al's CSW universal crossovers for my '78 Klipschorns while I had Dave create the new wooden traktrix horns for me.   You will probably love his detailed work and also the ability to adjust the crossovers to suit your listening taste.  I love my Klipschorns more than ever now! 

Yes, that's exactly what I did with my Belles.

Al's work was meticulous, and much better than I could have done, even though I have a technical background.

Well worth the money!

Geoff