Acoustic panel questions

gadgtfreek

Awesome!

I am going to talk to the wife tonight about color, and then move forward with a buy of four. I think a dark red will be the go to, walls are a light color and I pull for the Noles and she is a Bama fan.

Edited by gadgtfreek

Any thoughts on basic vs microsuede?

The wine color looks nice

Shopping Cart Item Price Quantity * ATS Acoustic Panel - 24 x 48 x 2

Choose your fabric color: Wine Microsuede; Desired edge profile: Square $219.80
  acoustics_checkout.jpg
Estimate Shipping: 36582 Item: ATS Acoustic Panel - 24 x 48 x 2
Quantity: 4

Choose your fabric color: Wine Microsuede; Desired edge profile: Square
  Shipping Method *

UPS Ground - $34.54

The normal fabric has a brugandy so that would work fine. The though of microsuede was because our couch and chair are (I guess i could even get dark brown to match them) and I guess they have a cool look.

I will defer this decision to the wife (finish and color) as it eases my pain.

You should have staggered Blue and Yellow!

Edited by gadgtfreek
  • Like 1

i think suede looks nicer but like said above it shows everything if its not all swept in the same direction. michaelandklipsch has a very nice theater and all his panels look like they get vacuumed on a daily basis. i personally do not like that. i CAN vacuum mine if i wanted and you would never know as there is no direction the the fabric. and i ordered mine from acoutsimac.com

• Like 1

acoustics_checkout.jpg

Shipping Method *

UPS Ground - $34.54

I would spend a few bucks and have them send their micro suede samples so you can get the actual colors to compare with furniture, walls, etc. I think the different makers of  micro suede varies a good bit and in many cases you get what you pay for and this may be one.   I went with a more neutral color since I hung so many. I also didn't want the old cliché of red or black or anything resembling  theater looks. You will likely want to hang more to fully treat the room, so you might want a color a little more relaxing and nothing overbearing when you end up having so many panels hung.  For me the micro sued looks classy and doesn't take away from anything, I think it actually adds a little seriousness to the listening room and people are always curious about them. 

A treated room is a trip, its obviously no anechoic chamber, but it makes the room so quiet you can hear sounds from outside the home and noise downstairs clear at the other end of the house due to new found deadness. Oh, it also makes a great place for true peace and quiet to catch a nap.  I had to move a DVR to my attic because the cooling fan was so loud after the panels were hung which I never heard before.

• Like 1

Before that could you move?  Kind of tight in the listening depth department. 

Not really. I just sit in a comatose state in the middle of my couch late at night on the weekends, carefully lifting and sitting my glass of Tang without interruption eagerly waiting for the towns electricity to lose some of its funk and dirtiness.  Come 2 AM or so, all is good, my ears are clear, belly full of Tang and I can then hear hidden things in the music content.....some physically there....some not. 

• Like 1

sounds like there is vodka in that Tang

No sir. I save all that labeled mess for the masses that show up on swim day.  I only drink Tang fortified with an all natural blend that comes from a long disputed Missouri/Arkansas recipe.

I lied.  it was Vodka.  JBart is just always right dang it.

Edited by Max2

acoustics_checkout.jpg

Shipping Method *

UPS Ground - $34.54

I would spend a few bucks and have them send their micro suede samples so you can get the actual colors to compare with furniture, walls, etc. I think the different makers of  micro suede varies a good bit and in many cases you get what you pay for and this may be one.   I went with a more neutral color since I hung so many. I also didn't want the old cliché of red or black or anything resembling  theater looks. You will likely want to hang more to fully treat the room, so you might want a color a little more relaxing and nothing overbearing when you end up having so many panels hung.  For me the micro sued looks classy and doesn't take away from anything, I think it actually adds a little seriousness to the listening room and people are always curious about them. 

A treated room is a trip, its obviously no anechoic chamber, but it makes the room so quiet you can hear sounds from outside the home and noise downstairs clear at the other end of the house due to new found deadness. Oh, it also makes a great place for true peace and quiet to catch a nap.  I had to move a DVR to my attic because the cooling fan was so loud after the panels were hung which I never heard before.

I have a feeling the wife is gonna go microsuede because all the furniture is...

Swatches from ATS ordered. Wife wants microsuede (as I figured) and I measured the wall out. Four 2x4 panels will be spaced 12" apart, puts one right behind me, one right behind the MLP(glass table) and two behind the couch.

Pretty excited about this step.

Read the DIY blog of Ethan Winer, he has some very good information on the use of acoustic treatments in rooms. There are many things to consider, among them, whether you need diffraction, diffusion, or absorbtion, and if the latter, at which frequency bands? Also the techniques of live end/dead end, diffusing/absorbing at the points of early reflections ( the mirror trick), bass traps in corners etc. 

When I build my Home theater, the first thing I'm going to do is eliminate parallel walls. 

• Like 1

A treated room is a trip, its obviously no anechoic chamber, but it makes the room so quiet you can hear sounds from outside the home and noise downstairs clear at the other end of the house due to new found deadness. Oh, it also makes a great place for true peace and quiet to catch a nap. I had to move a DVR to my attic because the cooling fan was so loud after the panels were hung which I never heard before.

The OP has a beautiful room and very nice equipment but wonder how much absorption you would want in a 2 channel (or even 3.2) situation converting multichannel material? I completely understand having a nice room geared for 2 channel, but if one weren't able to have side surrounds my question would be how could you compensate for that and what sound modes would you use?

When I build my Home theater, the first thing I'm going to do is eliminate parallel walls. 

We had to put our Home Theater in a very unique room (basically a small alcove with low slanted ceiling, connected to a larger room with a non-symmetrical, tall A-Frame ceiling) and setup issues that ended up benefiting me like you suggest above. We then converted it to a Library and have bookshelves and cases that make good natural Room Treatment.