Stereo for under $400

justin_tx_16

we just bought a summer house that has a parlor room with a bar and leather couches and chairs (posted about the leather for horned Smile.gif) and the like (whatever parlor rooms should have in them... haha). well right now it has a super cheapo sounding system, a Sharper Image sound system in it

SO227-PIP.JPG

After listening to this I know why they left it Wink.gif

Modern Design Stereo

#SO227

$269.95

So. My parents have given me a budget of no more than $400 to redo a stereo system that will play 3 cd's and thta is all it needs to do. radio is great, but not needed.

this seems like an impossible feat. what do you recommend? anything? cwm36.gif

i know it i snot a huge budget, but my parents have other priorities LoL.

thanks for any and all help.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

promediatech@Klipsch.com /1-888-554-5665 - RA# 800-554-7724 ext 5

s>

Went to Tweeter today. Man how I regret going the Tweeter on Westiemer...

Anyway. I hated the experience, once again. Every time I go there I get two problems.

1. They see me as a 'kid' and won't give me proper service

2. They doubt that I have any money to buy anything

3. They push, REALLY push, certain products, errm BOSE, Nakamichi, Tivoli; to name a few (improper use of punctuation, I know Smile.gif

That is three, could not stop at two, could go on to four or five.

Any ways. I go there and walk around for over 30 minutes with no one even giving me a second look. I am wearing Khaki pressed pants ($65), Ralph Lauren Polo shirt ($50), Polo Boots ($165), Tag Heuer watch (>$650), and get NO help (Priceless). So clearly they don't judge, on clothing appearance at least Smile.gif

Love the watch BTW, got the Tag at Kirk Freeport in Cayman. Smile.gif

Yeah, so anyways. I get NO help till I am walking out the door. Finally this guy asks me if I need help. I tell him the situation and he acts like I am in idiot. I had to actually put a system together before he could understand what I wanted to do... What is so difficult? two speakers, an amp and a cd player. Wow.

He shows me a $125 Sony receiver, $150 cd player, leaving $125 and then shows me a set of Tivoli speakers for $99, which he claims are equal to the SB-1's. I know that is bull crud. Why lie to me? Just cause I am a kid?!

I also asked about the REl Strata and Storm III's. He has the Storm III for less than the Strata III... something MUST be up with that. The Storm III was on sale for $1199. Wow. I asked how IT compared to teh SVS CS-Ultra. He has never heard of SVS... O----K cwm31.gif

So then I get to talking about headphones. Now that I can buy the HD-600's, I plan to pick some up soon. He has never heard ANY Sennheiser headphones besides the $70 model. What the heck?! They have every model, except the 580 and 600, on display to listen to. My theory why they don't have the 580 and the 600... the 580 sounds JUST like the 600 so they don't want to have ppl buying the cheaper, nearly equal, product, to gain a higher profit.

They will match the price of Acoustic Design's HD-600's at $225. yipee. with a 60 day price guarentee.

Bottom line? I think I will have to go to like reliableaudiovideo.com or whatever it is and that one other one that seems to be even better (what is it again?) to get some speakers and whatnot to make the system. I just don't see it happening any other way. If only we had an extra amp and cd player laying around (PM500 is pushing some Fortes my aunt picked up at an estate sale, well, it is supposed to be, I have not seen anything... by the way, she got them for $250 for the pair!, though I don't honestly know what a good price would have been, each had a water ring the size of a coffee cup on top)

yeah, i rambled, (kinda angry at my aunt, she promised she would give me a heads up whenever she saw klipsch, she goes to estate sales every day). oh well, can't be mad at her I guess. Smile.gif

got any futher ideas? and please excuse the biography

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

I believe you're looking at a trip to Circuit City to see what they have. Speakers make the most impact on sound, so I'd look for a pair of SB-1s for about $200 and go from there.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1372419389

Nad L40s are cool, but hard to get in your budget.

Used Advent receivers are really nice, too; can't find a pic.

John

If you can nab Rat Shack LS-5's on sale at 75.00 a piece, they are the best sound available to several times that price. No BS. I've used them in my HT for 10 years and the Linaeum ribbons are really quite sweet. You can shove a few drinking straws in the port to tighten up the somewhat muddy bass...I use a sub.

That leaves 250.00 for which you should be able to get a decent amp and CD player. Well, the CD player won't be very decent, but hey, you gotta budget.

Dave

try a pair of SOund Dynamics RTS-3($150 at tsto.com)

a 70's vintage receiver or amp from ebay (harmon kardon, marantz, pioneer, sansui all made really good receivers in the 70s that you can get for ~$100)

then you're left with $100-150 for a Sony sce775 sacd player or a denon dcm370. I have the denon, and i have read countless raves about the sony.

I guarantee a good system like this will kick serious ***. I put together something similar for my younger brothers when they graduated from HS in june. sounds damn good. those speakers are really awesome. stay away from those chain stores! except to pick up the cdp. vintage recievers are the way to go.

good luck

eric

------------------

eric

You should consider keeping those electronics and just replacing the speakers.

I bought a shoe box size Sony receiver / CD player RB-5 (?) and use it to drive some Forte II. Wonderful.

One of the reasons it works is because the orignal Sony shoe box speakers are 4 ohms and the Sony will drive the Forte II. Maybe an output or speaker on your rig is marked 4 ohms.

If you can borrow any appreciable size / quality speakers, you should try them with the existing unit.

Perhaps you can find some used Klipsch in the $400 budget.

BTW, don't be too upset the salemen ignore you. It is blessing.

Gil

quote:

Originally posted by William F. Gil McDermott:

BTW, don't be too upset the salemen ignore you. It is blessing.

Gil

Yeah, i kinda thought the same thing, like a love hate relationship. I HATE it when they bug me, but when they ignore me, I hate that too. Hipocrit? Smile.gif

Thanks for the suggestions. NO offence, but I was surprised to atually get a respond to one of my posts haha. I would say an astonishing of 60% of my threads get no replies. Frown.gif 80% take about a week to get a decent responce, not a good question, responce. Lately my two threads have actually gotten some responces, plasma speakers and this.

i went to a pawn shop today, i can get some ONKYO S-70's for $139... perfect condition, any good? And some other... geez, forgot the brand, but they are popular brand, but a weird design.

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

I agree with Gil.

Start with high quality efficient speakers using the existing electronics. Out of curiosity, I used my son's Dell laptop (DVD-CD-RW combo drive)to power my 1982 Heresys (usually less than $400 on eBay). Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" sounded very good at moderate levels.

Later you could get some better electronics as the budget might permit.

Come to think of it, I can share your pain.

In the early '80s I'd gotten a couple of paychecks and long covered travel reimbursement. I went into a Mac dealer (Victor Stereo on Oak Street). I was dressed in a suit and tie, pure yuppie.

I wondered into a listening room and soon a salesman was very upset that I was there alone. I was just about told to leave.

It was very much my intent to buy at least one piece of Mac gear to start building a system. The experience was so annoying that I never returned. And I've never bought Mac gear either.

Gil

Ok, this is a tad bit off the topic of the rest of the posts, but I am replying to Justin's second post...

I know exactly what you mean about the no service thing. I wear similar dress: Eddie Bauer pressed khakis (sometimes Savane's), polo or button down dress shirt-- usually Abercrombie, Eddie Bauer, Polo, or Geoffrey Beane, suade (sp?!) leather semi-dress/casual shoes (I don't know what they are-- they look great with blue jeans, and look great with dress khakis, etc...), Omega Seamaster watch (vintage, but still nice- nicer in fact). I still get no service. I was in my local Klispch dealer and he said they were rewiring the thing and that I couldn't get a demo. Now, this is just a few minutes after he was telling me how great everything sounded in there and how they just had the Belles cranked the other day... and he was telling me about the RSW subs and how they sound in there... ya rewired... uhuh.

I find it funny. Anyway, though, their loss, eh Justin? lol

------------------

SoundWise / <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@klispch.com">ProMedia Tech Support</A> / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-14-2002 at 09:07 PM

so many responses, but i am already feeling guilty that i spent the time to craft this abbreviated one...:

1. there really is no excuse for bad customer service in a place like that...thats what they are there for.

2. for $%'s sake...find a real problem to complain about.

3. i don't speak to anyone in pressed khaki's on principal.

4. tpg - abercrombie and khakis doesn't exactly make you stand out from the high school/college crowd and scream "copious amounts of disposable income to be had here"

5. although it may be bad customer service, it is pretty reasonable for a salesperson in a tweeter to assume that an 18 yr old aint gonna drop high cash...see also point 4. justin, please try to keep in mind that, from my reading of your posts anyway, you seem like you are pretty fortunate in that you have the ability to be a more...uhh...efficient consumer of audio/computer goodies than most your age.

6. does anyone eyeball someone, add up the collective cost of there ensamble, and then decide whether to talk to them...ok i know that we as a society do make these types of value judgements but DAMN doesnt it sound so crass when you just lay it on the line like done above? i say huzzah! lets not do it anymore...power to the dirty jean people...up with stinky t-shirts.

7. take the 400 any try to ebay a pair of heresy...take that miami vice looking stereo and sell it on ebay. devote proceeds to jolida integrated (usually good deals on audiogon). finally, and i don't mean to sound out of line here, youre looking for advice on how to spend money every few weeks. save for a month or two and use it to get a decent cd player.

keep a stiff upper lip kid, its tough out there.

------------------

Two Channel System:

Klipsch Fortes (1988)

Jolida 202a

Rega Planet

Denon DP 3000 tt (Stax tonearm; Grado Gold cart.)

btw... my tweeter dealer here in CT on the post road is ok... the salesperson that helped me demo every klipsch speaker in there patiently stood there for over an hour, and was very couterious...

and...

they had some BOSE floorstanders next to the klf-10s...

so i asked him to switch between the bose and the klf-10s...

we both laughed when he switched to the bose

Smile.gif

------------------

---------------------

I. Love. MUSIC!

the tweeter by ME is a grea ont, it is jus tthat one that I get stuck going to that is so bad.

yeah, the watch was expensive, but it was a birthday present from my cousin and uncle (they are best friends, same age, some ppl don't understand how that works out haha) and it was like my coming of age present, my 18th birthday present. my brother got one when he turned 18 also. they brought me to pick it out.

my mom nearly commited a crime... whlie at the mall she almost bought a bose wave radio for the room. jeez, that was close. she says she can not hear a difference, maybe not, but my dad and I can Wink.gif LoL

we will have to see. i think if i get some used book shelfs that i could do it. gonna look into what you guys recommended fo' sho' Smile.gif

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>

lol-- no one knows about Omega watches... they are around $1000 new.... Smile.gifcwm4.gif I got mine vintage (somewhat better) for a lot less. I go through different times of research... first watches, then comps, now speakers... and it will probably continue.

EDIT: BTW, forgot name, but whoever said the thing about the dress not standing out from other high school students...

Notice, I am not arguing with you- there is no point to that. But, most high school folks don't have pressed khakis- they wear them baggy and wrinkled. The same goes with shirts. I have not worn ANYTHING that was wrinkled in about 4 years now. NEVER. I don't understand it... I just don't like to look like I spent the night on a park bench.

------------------

SoundWise / <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@klispch.com">ProMedia Tech Support</A> / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-15-2002 at 03:57 PM

I personally experienced several times the "attitude" towards looks. I dress very simply in summer, beige khaki shorts, t-shirt, and a pair of sandals. I went in Good Guys, and Magnolia and noone even asked me if I needed help, until I approached a salesman and stated that I want to spend 5K on a home theater. In both places I was helped very generously. But I do not think that is correct attitude from the sales people.

------------------

Front: RF-3 II

Center: RC-3 II

Surround: 2 Quintets

Subwoofer: RSW-10

Receiver: Sony STR-DA5ES

TV: Sony Wega KV-36FV27

TPG, i am the same way. About the Omega. I have heard about it. They are most excellent watches, the official watch of Nasa. However, not the best. ONe of the best chronographs would be the Brightmen (spelling) which goes through 100x more rigorous of tests than the Omega and is the official watch of airplane pilots. they are extremely accurate and even better quality.

rolex is trash(ed) imho. just a status symbol now. watches like brightmen (sp), Omega, Tag Heuer, and a few others are the real chronographs, not a platinum, diamond studded, $62,000 watch that goes "bling bling'n it's ice" in MTV...

------------------

-justin

SoundWise

s>