Forum Peeps get First Dibs: Klipsch Headphone Home Try-on Kit!

Chad

Shipped My Kit back this AM complete via UPS.

Thanks for the Demo Klipsch, but No-Thanks...

First, the possitives;

You absolutely have the fit and comfort right!

My daughter preferred the X7i overall.

I absolutely Love the stuff PWK created and have a special place in my heart for Klipsch, I really wanted to like these products, but I am disappointed...

I don't really know what I expected, but at this price point, the outstanding comfort just isn't enough to sell me.

response of 5hz to 20,000hz??? Really, did you guys hire a Bose marketing guru?? These things wont play flat down to 35hz, let alone 5hz., what they have some discernable movement at 5hz, because they sure aren't moving any air at 35hz.

Sound quality; I expected more from something with Pauls' last name on it... A decent set of head cans will really trump these, am I expecting too much from earbuds??

Again, I really wanted to like these, but I just couldn't fall in love with them!

Thank you very much for the Demo, it reminded me of when you used to be able to go into Service Merchandise and audition over 20 pairs of headphones all at once before you spent your money.

I hope your full sized headphones sound better, as I would really like to love them also....

Sorry for the negative review....

Roger

Roger,

Please quit calling them earbuds.

If you're not hearing bass, you're not getting a good seal.  Or for some reason, With a proper seal, the x10's will rock your socks off and you can literally FEEL the bass in your nead.  

Professor Thump prefers the sound of the X10.  It sometimes takes a bit of work to get a correct seal.  It is possible that your ear canals wont allow a good seal?  I'd be surprised with different sized ear gels.  That said I don't think all models include the 5 basic ear gels.  

Unlike Coyotee-O, I think you prefer the sound of Klipsch over the little (rhymes with hose) cubes.  Richard does too, but sometimes ya gotta wonder.  

All the above said, you may be disappointed with nothing less than Custom 3 or the 2, 3 and 5 way custom in ear monitors that P-Thump was working on a couple of years back.  

Might want to try them again... or wait for 2 or 3 or + x models.  

I tired to order and selected PayPal.... Came up as $661.  Might want to check into that.  Now I'm having trouble getting to checkout to put in my credit card....

Just send me Roger's.  I'll clean them up.  Probably all full of ear cheese.   :emotion-14:  :emotion-41:

Used the price should be reduced by at least 50%?  And I'll clean off the ear cheese and sell to neurotic audiphilidiots as extremely rare wax to wax your wood bodied cartridges, turntable plinths, and speakers.  Cha-Ching!   :emotion-55:  :emotion-55:  :emotion-55:  

So that's my new company Audiphilidiots ® © 2015 BSamuel.  Audiophilidiots.  

Roger - how fast can you crank out ear cheese?  Or maybe you're ear canals are clean... Even beter.  Lower volume, higher price.  $$$$$$  

The kit arrived yesterday, so my opportunity to compare them has been limited. I'm using my Pono player as the source to listen to Waltz For Debby, Bill Evans Trio; Come Away With Me, Norah Jones; Unplugged, Eric Clapton, Take Five, Dave Brubeck and Dark Side of the Moon, Pink Floyd,

My initial impression is with how well everything was packaged. I quickly recognized how difficult it is to quickly compare models. The time it takes to remove the ear pieces and reinsert the ear pieces of the next pair, not to mention untangling the cords, makes it difficult to recall the subtle differences. Also, the differences in volume levels makes comparisons more difficult. FWIW, I did not open the R6is, as I already own a pair of R6s, so I used mine and kept the sample pair "new." The microphone feature appeals to me not at all. If I were to purchase any set(s) I would prefer without a microphone, as are my R6s. That said, my initial impressions are as follows:

• X11 sound the best. The bass is almost as strong as the R6, and it is more natural sounding. The clarity and detail of the mids and highs are the best of the group. If I were to keep a pair, this would be the pair. Nevertheless, for my purposes, the improvements over the R6s are not enough to justify the price difference.
    • Yep.  X models use armatures like used in hearing instruments.... see Professor Thump's posts from 2007 or so
    • R models may have more bass, but not as tight, defined, fast, etc as the x models and use micro speakers of very high quality and non-armature models initially designed for compressed portable music files and/or portable use such as mp3 player etc
  • X4 and X7 sound essentially the same to me. The immediate sensation is less bass than the R6 or X11. Perhaps the mids and treble are superior to the R6, but, if so, not enough to justify the cost or the sacrifice of bass. It would be nice to experience them in "balanced" mode, as what appears to be an adaptor plug for that purpose was included. No explanation of how to do that was provided. The Pono player has a "balanced" mode, but the plug spacing of the supplied adaptor does not match the Pono player's spacing.
    • I believe adapter plug is for airplane travel and not for balanced input.  Add a couple of small cables and maybe could use for Pono output. 
    • :emotion-41: I am so envy and want my own PONO.  Not Pony smart asses, PONO
    • X7, I've not heard the X4 does not seem lacking in bass to me, but x11 will be even more powerful.  
  • R6 are the best value. The bass is strongest, but not as natural as the X11. The mids and highs are fine for my purposes. If I didn't already own these, I would be tempted to keep these and send the rest back.
    • ​Micro speaker will never keep up with armatures which are a lot more expen$ive
More listening over the next 7 days could change things. Perhaps I'll rig up some cables to adapt the "balanced" adaptor to my Pono player. As more listening takes place I'll update my impressions.

Hats off to Klipsch for making this opportunity available.

My comments... 

Attempt 2 is better.  Order for $5 trial and pre=order for entire kit.  Maybe should've proceeded further with PayPal.  

But I managed to put in wrong year for CC expiration.  Or my eyes are just all crossed.  Both orders arrived in my email box.  Maybe crud on dirty laptop screen.  

Shipped My Kit back this AM complete via UPS.

Thanks for the Demo Klipsch, but No-Thanks...

First, the possitives;

You absolutely have the fit and comfort right!

My daughter preferred the X7i overall.

I absolutely Love the stuff PWK created and have a special place in my heart for Klipsch, I really wanted to like these products, but I am disappointed...

I don't really know what I expected, but at this price point, the outstanding comfort just isn't enough to sell me.

response of 5hz to 20,000hz??? Really, did you guys hire a Bose marketing guru?? These things wont play flat down to 35hz, let alone 5hz., what they have some discernable movement at 5hz, because they sure aren't moving any air at 35hz.

Sound quality; I expected more from something with Pauls' last name on it... A decent set of head cans will really trump these, am I expecting too much from earbuds??

Again, I really wanted to like these, but I just couldn't fall in love with them!

Thank you very much for the Demo, it reminded me of when you used to be able to go into Service Merchandise and audition over 20 pairs of headphones all at once before you spent your money.

I hope your full sized headphones sound better, as I would really like to love them also....

Sorry for the negative review....

Roger

Roger,

Please quit calling them earbuds.

If you're not hearing bass, you're not getting a good seal.  Or for some reason, With a proper seal, the x10's will rock your socks off and you can literally FEEL the bass in your nead.  

Professor Thump prefers the sound of the X10.  It sometimes takes a bit of work to get a correct seal.  It is possible that your ear canals wont allow a good seal?  I'd be surprised with different sized ear gels.  That said I don't think all models include the 5 basic ear gels.  

Unlike Coyotee-O, I think you prefer the sound of Klipsch over the little (rhymes with hose) cubes.  Richard does too, but sometimes ya gotta wonder.  

All the above said, you may be disappointed with nothing less than Custom 3 or the 2, 3 and 5 way custom in ear monitors that P-Thump was working on a couple of years back.  

Might want to try them again... or wait for 2 or 3 or + x models.

I tired to order and selected PayPal.... Came up as $661.  Might want to check into that.  Now I'm having trouble getting to checkout to put in my credit card....

Just send me Roger's.  I'll clean them up.  Probably all full of ear cheese.   :emotion-14:  :emotion-41:

Used the price should be reduced by at least 50%?  And I'll clean off the ear cheese and sell to neurotic audiphilidiots as extremely rare wax to wax your wood bodied cartridges, turntable plinths, and speakers.  Cha-Ching!   :emotion-55:  :emotion-55:  :emotion-55:  

So that's my new company Audiphilidiots ® © 2015 BSamuel.  Audiophilidiots.  

Roger - how fast can you crank out ear cheese?  Or maybe you're ear canals are clean... Even beter.  Lower volume, higher price.  $$$$$$

Sorry, no ear cheese, you must be hungry.

I tried the stock tips, the large ones, and the doubles.

I had a great seal, I don't think you know what 35Hz sounds like. Try a competition sweep disc on them, the Bass is not there!

Try listening to some Klipsch KP-600s and tell me those things have Bass to 35Hz, let alone 5Hz.

As I stated, I really wanted to like them, I really did, but it isn't just the lacking of any Bass, kick drums etc. that is the problem, the fidelity isn't there either when compared to a good set of cans.

That is my opinion after trying them out.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

I had a great seal, I don't think you know what 35Hz sounds like. Try a competition sweep disc on them, the Bass is not there!

Try listening to some Klipsch KP-600s and tell me those things have Bass to 35Hz, let alone 5Hz.

As I stated, I really wanted to like them, I really did, but it isn't just the lacking of any Bass, kick drums etc. that is the problem, the fidelity isn't there either when compared to a good set of cans.

Roger

First, before we get in the specifics of how low the frequency response of an in-ear headphone can go, please be aware that a sealed in-ear headphone uses pressure field measurements, not free field. In a pressure field, the world of acoustics is quite a bit different. For example, polarity doesn't matter, and ALL the air that gets moved by the armature/driver ends up at your ear drum.

So, in a typical world of loudspeakers you need to move a lot of air and it requires a lot of power the lower the frequency. For in-ears, that's simply not true.

Next, the perceived lack of bass you're explaining. Two factors that impact a home theater and not a headphone come to mind - room acoustics and physically feeling bass.

Room acoustics tend to significantly boost bass (3-6 dB) depending on where you're positioned. Your favored position may be the one by the wall or the corner, this is the way you're used to interpreting things as neutral. That alone will throw off what flat frequency response sounds like.

We perceive bass below a certain frequency by feeling it instead of actually hearing it. Trust me, you throw a 30Hz sine wave through any in-ear headphone and it will have ample response. Better yet, here's a data sheet from our friend Tyll Hertsens at Inner Fidelity for the Klipsch X10, which uses the same armature as the X11. 

The best headphones typically sound the worst until you spend some time with them. This is why we really thought a full week with a few sets of headphones is the way to do it. It will take a few days to get used to not hearing excessive bass, and really decide which frequency response you prefer.

Personally, my flavor is the X7i. To others, it's the R6's big, natural bass. And to the final group, it's the X11i, the best of both worlds with tiny size, letting you get closer to the ear drum.

Roger

First, before we get in the specifics of how low the frequency response of an in-ear headphone can go, please be aware that a sealed in-ear headphone uses pressure field measurements, not free field. In a pressure field, the world of acoustics is quite a bit different. For example, polarity doesn't matter, and ALL the air that gets moved by the armature/driver ends up at your ear drum.

So, in a typical world of loudspeakers you need to move a lot of air and it requires a lot of power the lower the frequency. For in-ears, that's simply not true.

Next, the perceived lack of bass you're explaining. Two factors that impact a home theater and not a headphone come to mind - room acoustics and physically feeling bass.

Room acoustics tend to significantly boost bass (3-6 dB) depending on where you're positioned. Your favored position may be the one by the wall or the corner, this is the way you're used to interpreting things as neutral. That alone will throw off what flat frequency response sounds like.

We perceive bass below a certain frequency by feeling it instead of actually hearing it. Trust me, you throw a 30Hz sine wave through any in-ear headphone and it will have ample response. Better yet, here's a data sheet from our friend Tyll Hertsens at Inner Fidelity for the Klipsch X10, which uses the same armature as the X11. 

The best headphones typically sound the worst until you spend some time with them. This is why we really thought a full week with a few sets of headphones is the way to do it. It will take a few days to get used to not hearing excessive bass, and really decide which frequency response you prefer.

Personally, my flavor is the X7i. To others, it's the R6's big, natural bass. And to the final group, it's the X11i, the best of both worlds with tiny size, letting you get closer to the ear drum.

No such luck with room boosted acoustics, listened to professional sweep disc and also comparing to open air / outside KP-600 35Hz output, the Bass was not there, nor the fidelity of my cans, which you did not address.

Roger

• Administrators

Thanks everyone who gave this a shot and gave us valuable feedback. We've turned off the ability to create new trial kit orders for now while we let all the current orders go through the system completely, and then we evaluate the process. We hope to have this exciting program up and running for real very soon. Stay tuned!

• Like 2

Got mine today! Too busy to really evaluate and can't afford to keep any right now. Have yet to hear the r6 or x4. Have x7 and x10. Expect x11 to sound like x10. Only better. :)

Uh. Can I have 2 weeks? A week is so short a period of time....

• Like 1

Roger, the KP600 system is 20dB down at 30Hz and 10dB down at 38Hz. I like the KP600 system but it's simply not a bass monster of a system.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/91620-kp-600-system/page-2

Most of the chest thumping happens in the 40 to 50Hz region anyway - and I'm willing to wager that you've got your subs cranked at least +10dB...nothing wrong with that since a lot of music benefits from that, but it's good to know what your reference point is.

Headphones can be brutally flat at the lower frequencies - and maybe only rolling off a dB or two if you get a good pressure seal, but you simply can't expect the exaggerated bass that is so often the case with PA loudspeakers without employing some kind of EQ. Try adding a 12dB shelf filter at 100Hz with 10dB of boost and see how your headphones compare. You still won't get the visceral impact, but if you think the bass is lacking, then you simply have something wrong with your setup. I get it that people can have different tastes and preferences, but something must have been awry with your setup.

As far as a good set of cans....I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it's not uncommon for them to have an intentional boost in the 50Hz to 70Hz region. A good pair of earbuds are going to have way more bass than a studio grade set of headphones intended for accuracy.

Edited by DrWho
  • Like 2

So how is Klipsch cleaning the earbuds during these tests? Is the internal grill removable? There's no way you could get out any ear cheese that lodges itself into the grill....or if you can, I'd love to know the technique. I ended up removing my grill because it got clogged after several years of use despite routine cleaning.

I'd hate to get someone else's ear cheese in my ear.....I shudder at the thought actually.

• Like 2

Roger, the KP600 system is 20dB down at 30Hz and 10dB down at 38Hz. I like the KP600 system but it's simply not a bass monster of a system.

Most of the chest thumping happens in the 40 to 50Hz region anyway - and I'm willing to wager that you've got your subs cranked at least +10dB...nothing wrong with that since a lot of music benefits from that, but it's good to know what your reference point is.

Headphones can be brutally flat at the lower frequencies - and maybe only rolling off a dB or two if you get a good pressure seal, but you simply can't expect the exaggerated bass that is so often the case with PA loudspeakers without employing some kind of EQ. Try adding a 12dB shelf filter at 100Hz with 10dB of boost and see how your headphones compare. You still won't get the visceral impact, but if you think the bass is lacking, then you simply have something wrong with your setup. I get it that people can have different tastes and preferences, but something must have been awry with your setup.

As far as a good set of cans....I'm not sure what you're referring to, but it's not uncommon for them to have an intentional boost in the 50Hz to 70Hz region. A good pair of earbuds are going to have way more bass than a studio grade set of headphones intended for accuracy.

Hey, how's it going?

Hope you can make it to Hope this next time?

I think you are aware, but others may not be aware that I am a Cardiac nurse, so I use a stethoscope all the time at work. I therefore think I know when I have a good air seal.

I know the KP-600s are definitely not Bass monsters and roll off, but they still have more Bass and go lower than what I was experiencing with these 4 that I tried. The only exception might be that the X-11i might not have been deep enough in the ear canal. Other than that, I can think of no excuses. Like I stated, I really wanted to like them, but found myself disappointed, and no, I didn't have an ear cheese problem.

Also as stated, My daughter, who turns 16 in a couple of hours, liked the 7s better than the 11s.

Roger

• Like 1

Hey, how's it going?

Hope you can make it to Hope this next time?

I think you are aware, but others may not be aware that I am a Cardiac nurse, so I use a stethoscope all the time at work. I therefore think I know when I have a good air seal.

I know the KP-600s are definitely not Bass monsters and roll off, but they still have more Bass and go lower than what I was experiencing with these 4 that I tried. The only exception might be that the X-11i might not have been deep enough in the ear canal. Other than that, I can think of no excuses. Like I stated, I really wanted to like them, but found myself disappointed, and no, I didn't have an ear cheese problem.

Also as stated, My daughter, who turns 16 in a couple of hours, liked the 7s better than the 11s.

Roger

I didn't comment on the 7's enough before... they have a very nice midrange for sure!   Maybe even better than the 11's but the 11's win to my taste overall.  I can tell you that I had to work on the seal a bit even though they fit very comfortably.  Once I finally got the seal good the bass was there... balanced and decent enough.  My trick was to insert them into my ear and turn them counter clockwise about 90 degrees (cables pointing forward) and then turn them back so the cable is pointing down.  This seemed to settle them in better with a good seal and the bass would finally appear.   It's interesting that this sort of worked for the 6 but when I turned them back some of the seal would be lost again.  

Everybody has different shaped ears so this might not work for many people.  I can tell you that my wife must have freakishly narrow ear canals and cannot use even the smallest size in-ear headphones.  None of these worked for her.

• Like 1

I received my kit on 8 July.  I shipped everything back on 14 July, and UPS verified delivery at Kiipsch on 15 July.

On 18 July, I  received the message below indicating they had not been received and I would charged.

So I had to make time at work to call and verify that they had received the shippment  I and would not be charged.  Whatever system auto-generated the return notice email, should verify that the item has not been returned before sending the alarming notice.

Klipsch Audio no-reply@klipsch.com via mailgun.org 
Jul 18 (5 days ago)
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
We have not received your Klipsch Headphone Home Try-On Kit.

If we do not receive your kit in the next two business days, your card will
be charged the full amount of all headphones included in the kit.

If you need an extension or have any questions, please email
rae.land@klipsch.com immediately to avoid charges.

Thank you,
Klipsch

Order #: 11534461
Date kit is due back @ Klipsch: 07/22/2015
Please give the return package to UPS at least 2 business days BEFORE
07/22/2015 in order to ensure prompt shipping back to Klipsch in time to
arrive on that due date.
Edited by Seadog

• Administrators
Whatever system auto-generated the return notice email, should verify that the item has not been returned before sending the alarming notice.

Yep, that's my fault actually. There was a dumb bug (most are dumb) in the notification system - which should be fixed now. It sent that notification even though the kit was recorded as being received back to us. I'm sorry for the inconvenience. That's why we did this pilot run, though - to find quirks and errors in the processes/systems. I appreciate you taking part in it.

Side-note: the notification system isn't tied to the ordering system (yet). So, the emails are just information/reminders at this point, and doesn't ever trigger any sort of auto-charging of credit cards or anything like that.

• Like 2

I received my kit on 8 July.  I shipped everything back on 14 July, and UPS verified delivery at Kiipsch on 15 July.

On 18 July, I  received the message below indicating they had not been received and I would charged.

So I had to make time at work to call and verify that they had received the shippment  I and would not be charged.  Whatever system auto-generated the return notice email, should verify that the item has not been returned before sending the alarming notice.

Klipsch Audio no-reply@klipsch.com via mailgun.org 

Jul 18 (5 days ago)

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif

We have not received your Klipsch Headphone Home Try-On Kit.If we do not receive your kit in the next two business days, your card will

be charged the full amount of all headphones included in the kit.

If you need an extension or have any questions, please emailrae.land@klipsch.com immediately to avoid charges.

Thank you,

Klipsch

Order #: 11534461

Date kit is due back @ Klipsch: 07/22/2015

Please give the return package to UPS at least 2 business days BEFORE

07/22/2015 in order to ensure prompt shipping back to Klipsch in time to

arrive on that due date.

I received the same email. A quick email to Rae Land brought an immediate and pleasant reply confirming receipt.

• Like 2

My impressions on the in-ear headphone buds:  

R6 - boom boom low bass, but overpowering the detail, not particularly musical to me.  

X4 - sounded very thin, reminded me of listening to an AM transistor radio.

X7 - similar to the X4 but somewhat fuller sound.  

X11 - the only pair that I would have considered buying, very musical, good detail, natural sounding bass (not the exaggerated bass of the R6).  

I returned them all because the X11 was a very small incremental improvement over what I have now, a very old pair of (believe it or not) Sony ear buds that I don't recall what I paid (I think MSRP was around $60 at the time).  Not to say the X11 is not good, it is very good.  It validated what I have known for a long time, I got lucky with a "cheap" pair of ear buds.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

So how is Klipsch cleaning the earbuds during these tests? Is the internal grill removable? There's no way you could get out any ear cheese that lodges itself into the grill....or if you can, I'd love to know the technique. I ended up removing my grill because it got clogged after several years of use despite routine cleaning.

I'd hate to get someone else's ear cheese in my ear.....I shudder at the thought actually.

That's a big beef of mine. The screen should keep the ear cheese outta the workings... but how to clean screen and there's no special tool to dig any ear cheese outta the ear gels (please quite calling them ear buds!!!). I live in Indiana and am a bit allergic to everything and have summer cold and/or sinus infection. So my ears create a lot of ear cheese. :( Yech!

And there are times I can't take even the Klipsch oval ear tips.... maybe the tear drop version that P-Thum also worked on... so have enjoyed my Status.

Roger - there ain't no headphones that are not going to shake your booty like a KP 600 stack or room full of Klipschorns or standard K'horns.

I have heard real 35 hz bass and below... more felt it below. Won't have any brain cells left much less hearing if in ear monitors or over the ear or on the ear cans move the air like BIG speakers.

Yeah. I don't hear that on a normal basis. Heresies, even GMLA51 pimped or my Tannoy SRM12B are going to move much air below 50 hz or so. I do have a smallish Velodyne sub I bought on the cheap that's supposed to be reasonably flat with room gain at least down to 30hz or thereabouts. Maybe even 20 something.

That said I do have a Stereophile test CD that I think does have frequency test tones down to 30 something hz or lower. But I sent back my kit. Monday night. I emailed Ms Rae so was not expecting them in Hope on the 7th. (whew).

Recently demoed a few tracks on a friend's CD on a Dolby atmos system at Klipsch HQ playing cee dee as 2.2. Largish dual 15" subs were doing some serious vibration. Not sure how deep the disc goes. I'm sure 35hz as deepest bass is a bit conservative.

p.s. Stop in at HQ... real easy to connect to the black Console.... videos from my Windows smart (***) phone sounded great. Need to load on some music. lol. Alex managed to extract himself from meeting after I told him I cculd connect. Still can't find a place to hook up turntable to the dadburn Console. :(. But I have a Garrard from a console... so it's doable... but kind of convoluted. No place to put it in The Condole. Definitely not the consoles I remember cousins and neighbors having in my youth, in the prior century. :)

Edited by blsamuel