Existential Audio Crisis

Thaddeus Smith

ok I think that if your latest stereo creation was any good others would want to hear it too. The fact that the Heresy/sub set up is off limits to your tinkering tells a story. Since I cannot hear your system I cannot say with certainty ,maybe your system sounds great and your wife has a problem but clearly she knows what she likes. Perhaps your system disturbs your wife's sense of the aesthetic. Who knows?

Deep  Travis.  But the system is real, yet is always only a representation of reality.  Perception is a common definition of reality because without any other measurement instruments how would you know anything different?  Perception is totally capable, and it is better with increased experience.  Blake would agree.

Edited by oldtimer

I think the more relevant question is, "is the system" real, or is our perception of reality incapable of "seeing" what is real there

With most things, if you look hard enough you’ll find something (it may be something you created in your mind though; but, to you it’s real)…in this case, hear something or not hear something.  

We have record books so we have something to measure ourselves against. That can be frustrating.

When it comes to audio--i think the better question is “am i happy with the way this sounds?"

My friend has been playing bass for over 40 years and he’s very good.  He has 40 basses at his house. When he performs live, he often grabs a cheap old, unfinished Peavey. He loves the tone of that one -- so he’s satisfied. 

Randy Bachman and Jimmy Page both have listed a Danelectro as one of their favorite guitars -- you can buy one for about $499 at Guitar Center.   They’re satisfied with the sound that they get from that cheap old guitar. Nothing wrong with that.

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators

Good luck with the sale, if for whatever reason you feel you want to try a different sound there's nothing wrong with that. It's what everyone here has been doing for years, everyone's guilty in one way or another. There is always that question of what am I missing, would I like something else more.

I hope you get closer to what sounds best for you, it has to make you happy so you can enjoy listening.

• Moderators

i saw her at Disneyland once…we were at the Dumbo the Elephant ride.  She didn’t bite anyone.

Well what's the deal, did she look anything like her pic's ? I ask because the pic's are probably photo shopped like crazy.

I think I would rather two regular models than one supermodel, is that how it works ?   

• Like 1

That's my point.. it sounds great, I'm just questioning my motives for even having the second system. i think for the last few years i've been attaching my identity to impressive things, so that maybe i appear impressive. and I'm growing tired of doing that.

i started down this path when I sold my shotgun and I've been shedding things ever since. don't misunderstand me - there's absolutely nothing wrong with having nice things - i think i'm just wanting to tweak my focus and simplify my cache of "stuff" for a while.

• Like 2

i saw her at Disneyland once…we were at the Dumbo the Elephant ride.  She didn’t bite anyone.

Well what's the deal, did she look anything like her pic's ? I ask because the pic's are probably photo shopped like crazy.

I think I would rather two regular models than one supermodel, is that how it works ?   

she looked just fine…wearing a sweat shirt if i recall.  i like a girl that can be attractive without trying too hard. 

Sometimes folk get more caught up in the gear than the music itself (which is what it is really about). In a perfect universe I would have the ultimate set up, but at my age I realize there is no such thing - the posts are always moving.

That being the case I live with a single system which works well for TV during the week and movies and two channel music on the weekends.

Compromise? Most certainly, but it works well for me and keeps me focused on what the stuff is actually for - enjoying the content.

At some point I hope to acquire some Khorns to tuck away in the corners of the same room for music playback alone. Whether or not they will be run through my AVR zone two or a seperate stereo amp in the same cabinet remains to be seen.

Edited by YK Thom

I've made a conscious decision to be satisfied with what I have in terms of gear, at least for the foreseeable future. No need to get more. No need to unload anything. It's about the music, not the gear. My quest for 'stuff' never made me happy, just entertained for the moment.

• Like 2