so this was brought to my attention today....

Scrappydue

So many  large improvements can be made with the upper Heritage line, it almost doesn't make sense to buy new, unless you are made of money.  Even then, K-horns, LaScalas and Belles all need about 3K invested to replace the mid horn. Mid driver, Tweeter and network.   If you score a set of K-horns for around 3K and add the mods which puts you at 6K total, might as well buy a pair of new Jubs and call it a day.

Or as I have stated MANY, MANY times, spend about $3,000 and buy two used MWM bins and put a K-69 / K-402 on top of them and beat out both the Klipschorn AND the Jubile.

Roger

Edited by twistedcrankcammer

Trying to kill off a product line so they dont' have to mess with U.S. manufacturing?

They wanted Roy to move to Indy as an Engineer, but he made the decision that he was staying in Hope PERIOD! Now they have him in sales and he flies all over. It kind of scares me for the future of Hope, it is kind of like taking the Pawn out from in front of the King it was protecting.

Roger

Agreed, Roger.  Corporate can be anywhere...but if Hope closes so does the Legend end. 

Here's a "Modest Proposal" with apologies to Jonathan Swift.

Klipsch buys up every pair of Klipschorns that goes on the market for 2k or less and burns them at Hope.  Use prices rise and new sales increase.

It's the ultimate business problem.  Build something inherently non obsolescent and you have to depend on an increasing population for sales.  Build something less and you are just another competitor. 

Dave

Agreed, Roger.  Corporate can be anywhere...but if Hope closes so does the Legend end. 

Here's a "Modest Proposal" with apologies to Jonathan Swift.

Klipsch buys up every pair of Klipschorns that goes on the market for 2k or less and burns them at Hope.  Use prices rise and new sales increase.

It's the ultimate business problem.  Build something inherently non obsolescent and you have to depend on an increasing population for sales.  Build something less and you are just another competitor. 

My garage door is an example. The post-war vintage door works as well today as the day it was made. Rather than a track and torsion bar springs, it ha a cement counter weight and a single pivot point. The company (name escapes me and I. Can't get out to the garage to read it off the nameplate) went out of business years ago. Unfottunately, if you build a superior product that endures, you become your own competitor.

Dave

apparently the klipsch view on the economy is it is good, the stock market would dis agree.....................I would love to think this was a move to improve the labor forces pay and benefits..............................I am skeptical to say the least

more than likely a move to improve the bottom line and the shareholders profits

There simply isn't enough VOLUME of Heritage Line sales to make any difference to profits. It's the stuff that sells at Best Buy that makes the most money, or maybe even the Pro stuff. After going to Axpona to look at little bookshelf speakers with 8" "woofers" (what a joke) that cost Thousands of dollars a pair or some other jokes that cost $100,000 per pair with big tube amps driving them, I'd say anything Klipsch makes is a bargain.

It's the top end products...Cadillacs, Lincolns, and the like that set the standard.  Without the Heritage line Klipsch is just another HT provider and their are a lot of them. 

PWKs image is the core of Klipsch, and Heritage is the core of PWK.

Dave

• Like 1

They were already pretty expensive, if somebody wants a set, they're still going to buy them. I mean, stuff like F-150's can jump 10% and Ford isn't exactly going to be hurting if you know what I mean.

The on line Consumer price index put the Khorns at over $9,000 per pair vs. what they were in the 70's when I bought mine, so they really are the same price. Much like you can't buy a new Cadillac for $5,000. I also bought some new Heresy's for my wife back in '83 for $900 per pair and she did take them with her when we split (no problem there as she was spoiled by my Khorns for decades). 

Anyhow, it's just a reminder that the DOLLAR is worth less than it used to be. Nothing more.

• Like 1

garyrc, the Jube violates one of PWK's basic tenets:  Maximum performance at lowest cost.  Further, as you mention, for most of us there is no audible improvement in normal listening rooms as the K'horn is accurate.  You are dead on about source quality.  The description of K'horns is often "...mercilessly transparent" and they make bad recordings sound exactly what they are.  I simply get rid of anything that doesn't sound good on my 'horns.   

Dave

Well, having compared the Jube 2-way against a modern Khorn, I disagree.

PWK said "the midrange is where we live" and the K-402 TROUNCES the K-400. I had Khorns for 30 years with a LaScala in the Center. I spent a day with Paul W Klipsch athis house and heard HIS classical recordings on his Khorns (with falsee corners) plus Belle center with the same 2PH3 setup as I had (the little resistor box). Yes they sounded wonderful, but the Jubes are clearly better. If any of you had the chance to compare them in YOUR room, it would take you about 2 milliseconds to convince yourself that this is true. PWK himself wanted the Jubilee to be the new improved Khorn, but the new owners didn't want to mess with the Khorn legacy STRICTLY from a marketing/sales point of view, so Jubes are a Pro Order item, not sold thought regular dealers, if you can find one. Just accept it and move on.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

So many  large improvements can be made with the upper Heritage line, it almost doesn't make sense to buy new, unless you are made of money.  Even then, K-horns, LaScalas and Belles all need about 3K invested to replace the mid horn. Mid driver, Tweeter and network.   If you score a set of K-horns for around 3K and add the mods which puts you at 6K total, might as well buy a pair of new Jubs and call it a day.

Or as I have stated MANY, MANY times, spend about $3,000 and buy two used MWM bins and put a K-69 / K-402 on top of them and beat out both the Klipschorn AND the Jubile.

Roger

Been there, done that. You are right.

Yes they sounded wonderful, but the Jubes are clearly better.

"Better" is entirely subjective.  K'horns deliver accuracy.  Jubes sound different to me, but not better...just different.  No more proof needed that the K'horn is king of all, including price/performance, than it's run as by FAR the longest design in continuous production and the price they bring on the used market.

I don't debate those who play me a 10k SS amp and go on about it being "night and day" over something else.  I am sure they are correct as far as they are concerned.  But I just don't hear it.  Pany SA Class D receivers at 100 bucks on eBay sound just as good to me. 

Been a long time, but I'll use a line I used to use in these discussions a long time ago:  I may be deaf as a post. 

But I never get speaker envy such as I had for decades before acquiring my K'horns 20 years ago.  And I will not develop it again.  That isn't a decision, just a fact.  One you've achieved accuracy in your own judgment you are done and just listening to the music...which is why I came to the party in the first place.

Dave

Mr Mallette makes logical sense. Khorns are accurate and can't be beat. If there was a better one, obviously Klipsch company would make it replace the K'orn, as a new version or new model, same or different name. Here's our 2015 Khorn! No comapny would leave a better product on the shelf. Jubilee sorta looks like a mix between commercial and home speakers. The other big bass speakers people talk avbout just look like plywood crates. Not suitable for home factor. Put big speaker in nice wood - presto - new model to replace KHORN. of course it must fit through house doorway!! LOL