Upgrade Quartet Tweeters without upgrading crossover?

Grizzog

I recently acquired a set of quartets.  I really enjoy them and have decided to give them the Crite's treatment.

Would it be an issue to upgrade the tweeter now and save the crossover for later?  I don't currently have the funds to do both at the same time.  Just want to make sure I won't damage the new diaphragm by using the old crossovers, as they are ~25 years old now.

I recently acquired a set of quartets.  I really enjoy them and have decided to give them the Crite's treatment.

Would it be an issue to upgrade the tweeter now and save the crossover for later?  I don't currently have the funds to do both at the same time.  Just want to make sure I won't damage the new diaphragm by using the old crossovers, as they are ~25 years old now.

Go ahead and install those "Crites Tites" now and update the crossovers later.  No harm at all.

Immediate noticeable "cheap" performance upgrade that will take no more than one hour to perform.  At least that was my experience when I added them to my forte's.

Bill

Edited by willland

When I remove each tweeter I hold onto the speaker wires and partially put one of the mounting screws back in the cabinet then wind the negative wire around the screw so the wires drop down inside the cabinet. If the wires drop down inside the cabinet (which has happened to me a couple of times) it can easily double the amount of time it takes to swap the diaphragms as you usually have to remove and re-install another driver to get to the wires. Just a heads up. I've replaced several sets of tweeter diaphragms without touching the crossovers and its a nice improvement, good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

When I remove each tweeter.....

How do you remove the tweeter horn on the Forte I?  Can you do it from the front? I undid the screws but couldn't pull it forward.  

Do you go in from the back?

Have tweeters in hand to swap on my Forte I.  I see instructions online once the horn is out but don't get how to remove the horn.

Thanks for the help! All good the new tweeter is in. Was being super cautious.

BTW: I don't know what it is but nothing about these speakers seems 25 years old. The gasket was perfect and flexible. Here is the old tweeter. I would think something 25 years old would look older.

IMG 20150919 002825

Thanks!
Edited by graham p

Those are the original phenolic diaphragms, much better than the newer soft polymer diaphragms.

If you ever damage one I would install a pair of titanium diaphragms.

You may need the best in electronics to appreciate the titanium, it may be too revealing for less-than-perfect electronics and program material (GIGO).

If you play it loud enough to peel paint, install a 211-2 dome light in series with each tweeter (for insurance).

I have upgraded both the tweeter and squawker diaphragms to titanium in my forte II.  I really don't understand why most feel that the tweeter upgrade is the "end all. be all" while they sneer at the squawker upgrade? 

INMHO, the squawker upgrade is just as important, if not more so.  Take a look at the current Heritage line, all where applicable use titanium in both the tweeter and squawker.

Oh well, my rant is done.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1