How Can Two DACs Sound Different?

Jim Naseum

Oh its a big difference with my setup     " not sure they would sound any different than say any pc"   I use (2) Paul Hynes SR5 Linear PSU units one power the dedicated NAS other the Router  , my NAS plugs into the Router and then out of the Router to a Total Dac D1 Server  which then feeds into my D1 Dual totaldac  AES/EBU Cable .  The sound is better than a PC , its all about a clean signal normal power supply create allot of noise along with a hard drive with a platter 

You are sounding like a salesman.  Not sure you are answering joesportster's questions on what type of pc, type of transport, power supply, drive configuration, or connection,

It is good you can justify to yourself the money spent though.

Now if I could only do the same a little more quickly about a 2016 z06 I am about to order. 

I use a Music Streamer II +  by HRT audio. which takes over the audio from the hardware sound card.  I really enjoy the fact when using a PC for audio of having a great sounding external DAC.  I also have an external HD (USB 3.0) which contains my FLAC files w/ META data.  Easy to back up with multiple copies, no jitter assuming the original rip was done correctly (seriously when moving to a pure digital collection, don't take short cuts, take your time, just burns you in the end if you don't) and sounds great.  I won't loose this music until I die.  If the PC dies, I loose nothing related to audio, just insert a new machine and roll.   

Edited by jacksonbart
  • Like 1

Why would I use a PC ? As to being a salesman I'm pretty sure this wouldn't be the place to sell it . If what guys are using makes you happy use it and enjoy it .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wait, you're a salesmen...??  What exactly are you selling.  Also providing the price helps.

Sent from my dPhone using Frototalk

I use a Music Streamer II +  by HRT audio. which takes over the audio from the hardware sound card.  I really enjoy the fact when using a PC for audio of having a great sounding external DAC.  I also have an external HD (USB 3.0) which contains my FLAC files w/ META data.  Easy to back up with multiple copies, no jitter assuming the original rip was done correctly (seriously when moving to a pure digital collection, don't take short cuts, take your time, just burns you in the end if you don't) and sounds great.  I won't loose this music until I die.  If the PC dies, I loose nothing related to audio, just insert a new machine and roll.   

This is my setup for digital, I have 4 Hard drives all external with 29000 files  :) can move it to any pc use my external Metrum Octave and the PC clock and dac are out of the loop it is just a transport for the files

Which is why I am dubious about the file transport affecting SQ, The DAC has its own clock and does all the conversion on board

Got news for you guys.. the PC affects the sound, the power supply, the hard drive, the operating system.  It was shocking to me that loading a different OS (but with exact same player install) on the exact same hardware could be different.  The more processes you can eliminate and the leaner the OS the better the sound.   Change any piece of the hardware and I can only make a guess at why there is a change... such as some bit of noise is introduced/reduced/eliminated as a result of the hardware change.  Something that can be measured or not?  Don't know... I just listen and if nothing irritates my ears I'm happy and back to listening to the music.  Yeah, it's all subjective and you don't have to dig into this stuff like I did if you don't want.  I'd be better off if I would concentrate more of my effort on my room as it certainly has some problems... some of which cannot be solved such as furniture that can't be moved.  

I have a HRT streamer II+ on my shop set up... I'll be trying out the USB REGEN on that some time in the future.  That will be an interesting test.

Got news for you guys.. the PC affects the sound, the power supply, the hard drive, the operating system.  It was shocking to me that loading a different OS (but with exact same player install) on the exact same hardware could be different.  The more processes you can eliminate and the leaner the OS the better the sound.   Change any piece of the hardware and I can only make a guess at why there is a change... such as some bit of noise is introduced/reduced/eliminated as a result of the hardware change.  Something that can be measured or not?  Don't know... I just listen and if nothing irritates my ears I'm happy and back to listening to the music.  Yeah, it's all subjective and you don't have to dig into this stuff like I did if you don't want.  I'd be better off if I would concentrate more of my effort on my room as it certainly has some problems... some of which cannot be solved such as furniture that can't be moved.  

I have a HRT streamer II+ on my shop set up... I'll be trying out the USB REGEN on that some time in the future.  That will be an interesting test.

I have no doubt some may hear differences This could easily go the route of the cable debate...............I will follow suggestions of following my own ears 

Just having some fun wit a1  :D

This is my setup for digital, I have 4 Hard drives all external with 29000 files  :) can move it to any pc use my external Metrum Octave and the PC clock and dac are out of the loop it is just a transport for the files

Which is why I am dubious about the file transport affecting SQ, The DAC has its own clock and does all the conversion on board

Precisely.  The data does have to go through a computer to get to the DAC (something has to suck or receive the bits - also send for that matter unless it is just a simple bus).  That's why spending all that money on something like the drives is questionable.  

Guess I need to move off winamp to J-River.  i7-3770 with tons of storage should be able to keep up with the transfer.  Not totally quiet but most fans have been pulled from a Sonata case and not necessarily using a wired connection to the DAC.

Muel,

You are correct.  You need to choose wisely, especially if you are using USB.  As for a hard drive or SSD to attach, it is much simpler if you do stay away from USB and interrupt latency to other stuff on the bus.  Doesn't need to be mega buck.

No USB drive unless you are just temporarily connecting to copy files over.  SATA or mSATA for much better throughput.    I can tell you that SSD drives vary in their latency and if it is bad enough it will certainly affect the sound even to the point of drop outs.  The most expensive drive might not be the best.   Your speed tests on your system might be a little different from what is advertised.  The most important part of this is how the latency measures.  I don't know that the drive with the fastest read/write will necessarily have the lowest latency.  (Here's a test if you like to try.)

I use a external SATA dock that works well but adds a little physical noise as I can hear the drive spin.  When terabyte SSD drives get cheaper I might go that route.  A NAS drive in another room would make any noise less of an issue.   

Whatever it takes to get you out of your desk chair and into your listening chair!

Agreed in as much as the type and quality of oil impacts the sound in your oil caps.  That oil is old by way, you should replace it and use Mobil one for Rice Sakes!

• Like 1

I recently changed up my music serving situation.  Specifically, I moved from a mac mini based system - with the mac being used and set up specifically for, and used only, as a music server - to a dedicated built windows based server using a NAS for music storage. The improvement in sound quality has been incredible. My Mac based server used Channel D software that works in concert with Itunes.  My new server uses J River as the player and it is a vast improvement.  I have used the same Benchmark DAC 2 with both servers. One of the more interesting things - at least to me - is how much of a difference the quality of the rip from CDs makes. I do not use J River for the ripping. There is another piece of software - "Exact Audio Copy" or "EAC" for short that does a masterful job. It takes a number of steps and it takes a long time but the improvement in quality is substantial. Ripping a CD can take anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes. Point being, I agree with those pointing out that server hardware makes a difference and that all bits are not created equally. The server is called Silenzio by "E". It has quite a following from the folks on the audio aficionado forums. It has been a major step forward in my digital music journey.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cd-players-digital-music-servers/29587-silenzio-audio-e.html

• Like 2

I recently changed up my music serving situation.  Specifically, I moved from a mac mini based system - with the mac being used and set up specifically for, and used only, as a music server - to a dedicated built windows based server using a NAS for music storage. The improvement in sound quality has been incredible. My Mac based server used Channel D software that works in concert with Itunes.  My new server uses J River as the player and it is a vast improvement.  I have used the same Benchmark DAC 2 with both servers. One of the more interesting things - at least to me - is how much of a difference the quality of the rip from CDs makes. I do not use J River for the ripping. There is another piece of software - "Exact Audio Copy" or "EAC" for short that does a masterful job. It takes a number of steps and it takes a long time but the improvement in quality is substantial. Ripping a CD can take anywhere from 25 to 40 minutes. Point being, I agree with those pointing out that server hardware makes a difference and that all bits are not created equally. The server is called Silenzio by "E". It has quite a following from the folks on the audio aficionado forums. It has been a major step forward in my digital music journey.

http://www.audioaficionado.org/cd-players-digital-music-servers/29587-silenzio-audio-e.html

I will be reading up on this...Thanks for the information :) :) :)

• 2 weeks later...

I see posts describing that one DAC sounds different than another. What? How can that possibly be?

If they do, then surely all digital products like CD players must also sound different. If so, it means digital is not an accurate medium, right? If not accurate, how can people say it is better than records?? You can't have it both ways..... Or can you?

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

I use a couple of DAC's in different systems for music off my pc with the option for tube output or solid state. I tend to prefer the tube output over solid state on both particularly with certain tubes. Dutch made Amperex ECC88 pinched waist tubes are by far the best sounding tube in my favorite of the two Tube DAC's and the best part is I only paid ~ $15 for the tube which is now pretty much unobtainium for less than your 1st born child.