Another Capacitor Thread (and an apology).

Deang

Guest thesloth
Your statement does not in any way make it less offensive, nor justify it, oh...IMHO

So if you feel defensive about the statement there must be some truth behind it. Your fault (for being offended) not mine.

Not offended in the slightest. But when someone calls members idiots, snake oil salesmen & that the forum is full of stupidity & fools... I have no problem offering up a response. Way different than being offended. But then again, that only contributes to feeding the troll. My mistake was taking the bait.

Troll? Far from it. This forum, along with the whole entire world is full of idiots and snake oil salesmen......get used to it. If you don't want the truth go live in storyland with prince charming.

Please feel free to contribute useful information next time.

Excuse me, but I did not post that second quote.

And, I am becoming more convinced with every post of yours that YOU are actually prince charming. And please, be my guest, and go away to live in Storyland. But, if not, please be sure to get your information correct the next time

Guest thesloth
Excuse me, but I did not post that second quote.............please be sure to get your information correct the next time

I agree, that's why above the quote it says nismo. My information is correct.

Edited by thesloth

So then, which are the best metalized caps? Dayton? Solen? Audiocap?

Best is never the right word to use because people hear things differently. I buy and use Dayton for crossovers and I like the response they give. I once used a Dayton in the output stage of an amplifier and did not like the sound at all. An Elna electrolytic audio cap sound a lot better with a better soundstage. For the price a Dayton is going to be hard to beat. My understanding is they are made by Bennic. 

Are you referring to the black and yellow Dayton caps, or the White 1% caps? Is there any audible difference between the 2?

That signature serves no purpose but to incite and offend. What's so funny is that the forum is for the most part completely intolerant to any claim that isn't accompanied by a half ton of plots and supporting evidence. I was always hoping that I could change the culture a little -- most of the "audiophiles" have either been run off or vacated the premises due to boredom.

post-1106-0-06780000-1444011736_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-56820000-1444012057_thumb.jp

post-1106-0-78140000-1444012109_thumb.jp

Edited by Deang
  • Like 2

Guest thesloth
Are you referring to the black and yellow Dayton caps, or the White 1% caps? Is there any audible difference between the 2?

The yellow ones are 5% tolerance and the white are 1% tolerance in regard to the actual measured capacitance. The larger the value capacitor the larger the +/- which could change the intended corner frequency. Will it be audible? Probably not, 5% is fine.

• Like 1

Guest thesloth
Watch what you say about others

Have I singled anyone out? I have been personally attacked on here several times, it's a forum I don't let it bother me.

Edited by thesloth

So then, which are the best metalized caps? Dayton? Solen? Audiocap?

Best is never the right word to use because people hear things differently. I buy and use Dayton for crossovers and I like the response they give. I once used a Dayton in the output stage of an amplifier and did not like the sound at all. An Elna electrolytic audio cap sound a lot better with a better soundstage. For the price a Dayton is going to be hard to beat. My understanding is they are made by Bennic.

I have only ever used the white Daytons. They are higher voltage and lower tolerance. Audible difference I think is up to you. Not a big difference in cost

Perhaps it is fortunate, but I missed the fireworks on the other thread. When I returned to it, there were obviously posts that had been deleted. I feel that I might have in some major way been one of the reasons that the thread got out of control because I was the one who commissioned Dean to build networks for my RF 7 11’s. I am also the one who made the choice on the capacitors. And I am the one who chose to pay for the capacitors. I sense from the remaining posts that there where comments made regarding more noble uses for money spent,  than on what some consider “snake oil” audio tweaks. I will not comment on what I think might have been an attack on me but if anyone wants to pm me on that subject I will certainly give them a private piece of my mind!

That aside I have significant experience with various network builds which is why I commissioned Dean to build the networks with the expensive caps that certainly were part of the animosity in the previous thread.

My network journey started with my first pair of Belles. I bought a pair of networks from Bob Crites and it was like a blanket had been removed from over the front of my speakers. I sold that pair and the network when I bought the cherry Belles. I called Dean and had him build a pair of Jensen capped AA’s that in my mind removed another, albeit thinner blanket,  from the front of the speakers. When I installed the trachorn and new tweeter I called Dean again and he built a pair of super aa’s with V cap caps. Again the improvement was again noticeable beyond any other tweak I had experienced.

For a  time I had the original networks, the Jensen’s and the V-caps. I moved them in and out of play and always came back to the V-cap networks as my preference. At this point I should remind folks that this is a hobby for me and part of the fun for me is to do exactly that — switch things around and listen for differences. I do this with amplifiers, DACs, Cartridges, phono stages etc , etc.

After I installed the V-Caps, The Jensen capped networks were available for forum friends to audition and many of them did exactly that. All of them were impressed.  It’s unfortunate that a lot of those folks aren't around much anymore so we are not able to hear their impressions.

So after buying the RF 7s and listening to them for a while, I contacted Dean and told him to build the networks that he would build for his own speakers.  The speakers are great. I just think that they could use a little smoothing - something that boutique caps do quite well!

Basically the network that Dean built is stock but with upgraded parts. Lots of issues with figuring out how to fit those monster caps into  the speaker cabinet -  Dean and his son have done exactly that. I cannot wait to install and hear them!! I know they will knock my socks off — if my history with Deans’ work is any indication I know that will be the case.
So the net net is that if you haven’t listened to and compared the differences between the various capacitor options you really do not have a credible POV.

• Like 2

Guest thesloth
I think might have been an attack on me

I seriously don't understand the issue here. It's really not an "attack", just a matter of opinion and suggestion. My suggestion was spend money elsewhere, whether you do so or not doesn't bother me. You can freely spend your money on whatever it is your heart desires. Buy some turtles and put them in your speakers, they might slow down the sound too much though ;)