Sub Amp Comparisons...

SWL

Pro amps can needlessly complicate things.

Certainly nothing against them from a technical standpoint, but if you want the cleanest install with least amount of fuss then I'd stick with the appropriate consumer-level gear.

Not sure I agree with this in general.  Certainly some stubborn pro-specific amps are an annoyance if you have to use a CleanBox Pro, but the iNukes and ESPECIALLY  the Crown XLS amps are very home friendly.  Seriously, a Crown XLS Drivecore 2 already has:

*  native RCA inputs

*  a native silent fan that isn't even on unless you push it

*  native wire terminals so you don't have to use speakon terminals if you don't want

You can even turn all the lights out so it's totally dark.  It just really couldn't be any easier or friendly for home use.  Plug it in, press a couple of buttons like 4 times to set it on 0.775 voltage input sensitivity, and it's ready to go.  There's nothing that a typical consumer type of amp can offer that it doesn't have.  Only disadvantage is no built in computer controlled DSP like the iNukes but typical consumer level cheap amps and lots of pro amps like standard QSC's does not have this either.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

Pro amps are simply not needed since you would rarely use any more than a watt or two to run these efficient horns so i agree with Quiet_Hollow.

I just run a standard plate amp and those who hear these horn loaded subs say its the cleanest bass they ever heard, including myself and I'm very picky about my sound.

Can you use a pro sound amp ? Shure you can but not something that is needed.

Kudos to this thread to open my eyes to something.

http://www.parts-express.com/crown-xls-1002-drivecore-2-power-amplifier-2-x-350w-at-4-ohms--245-507

Auto turn on, can dim the front panel, and RCA inputs.  So those that have heard these....there are no loud fans?

There's one fan, it's not loud, and it doesn't even turn on until you've pushed it pretty good for awhile. I can be right in front of the rack and can't tell it's on even with the door open, pretty much gotta stick your ear up to the amp to hear it. I'm running the 2502, it can move the hell out of my 18's. One good thing about Crown is that they rate their power rating as minimum guaranteed power, basically the opposite of Behringer.

Pro amps are simply not needed since you would rarely use any more than a watt or two to run these efficient horns so i agree with Quiet_Hollow.

As compared to the Dayton you are recommending, for a minimal upcharge for the smaller Crown you've got:

less than half the distortion

more overhead even if only half of it is used at 4 ohms

WAY more overhead if you ever added more subs especially if you dropped the impedance

97 db vs. 85 db signal to noise ratio

more flexibility due to being able to bridge it, run it at 2 ohms, accept XLR inputs, and use speakon outputs

rack mountable

weighs less than half as much

no harder to hook up than the Dayton or anything else

What exactly is the advantage of the Dayton?

What exactly is the advantage of the Dayton?
Apparently nothing now....but back in the day when the Daytons first came out, the DriveCore2 wasn't available and the XLS (along with most other pro amps) looked a little out of place in the typical HT rack. It's clear that Crown is trying take a bite out of somebody's market share.

the XLS (along with most other pro amps) looked a little out of place in the typical HT rack. It's clear that Crown is trying take a bite out of somebody's market share.

That's exactly why I got rid of my iNuke. Friggin silver spaceship looking thing with bright orange lights that can't be dimmed or turned off. Not sure what they were thinking.

Does the pro amp have a phase adjustment ?

You can buy a plate amp for under $100, i mentioned the stand alone because most would want to put their amp with the rest of their components.

And again, you don't need anywhere near that amount of power.

How do you adjust phase (if necessary) on that amp?

I can have a plate amp up and running in about 30 seconds.  It would probably take me 30 minutes just to read the manual on the iNuke.

If you were doing it on an iNuke you'd do it on the screen below. With the Crown you'd need a MiniDSP and do about the same thing.

CapProInukeDSP3000Config.jpg

Where is that screen on the amp or is it a program you run on a pc then transfer?

You plug a laptop into it via a usb cable then run a program. Once it's set you just save it and it's good. You can save several different setups and swap them around.

I'm considering a couple of these to go with a pair of horn subs.  http://gr-research.com/a370peq.aspx

I like the continuous phase control and the high level inputs.  I know many don't like the speaker level inputs but I think I get the balance better and I am getting the same signal at the sub amp as I am getting at the main speakers.  

Not sure what I'm building yet but I have enough vacation built up I should have some time.

Anybody try these or dealt with GR Research before?

I know many don't like the speaker level inputs but I think I get the balance better and I am getting the same signal at the sub amp as I am getting at the main speakers.

They work great with older receivers or integrated amps that do not have sub out's.