Best Buy Recycles

Rivernuggets

I recently took our ancient 19" CRT TV to Best Buy for recycling.  One of my clients told me they don't charge you the normal $10 fee.

While there I found out that Best Buy recycles almost all electronics.  They do not accept refrigerators, microwaves, stoves (items with a heating element) or CRT TVs larger than 32".  Bring everything else to them.  Computers and any related computer stuff, stereo receivers, cd players, tape decks, flat screens TVs, VCRs, any kind of wires and cables, etc.

Had no idea they offer this and wanted to pass it along.

Good to know.  My wife is a recycleohaulic.

My wife helps keep me on the it's-worth-the-effort side of recycling.  I'm not against it, just lazy.  We accumulate a tower of stuff before I drive it away to Goodwill, Easter Seals, the city dump, wherever it needs to go.

My wife helps keep me on the it's-worth-the-effort side of recycling.  I'm not against it, just lazy.  We accumulate a tower of stuff before I drive it away to Goodwill, Easter Seals, the city dump, wherever it needs to go.

We actually have curb side recycling.  It cost's about $35 for 3 months but it's very convenient.

• Moderators

I recently took our ancient 19" CRT TV to Best Buy for recycling. One of my clients told me they don't charge you the normal $10 fee.

While there I found out that Best Buy recycles almost all electronics. They do not accept refrigerators, microwaves, stoves (items with a heating element) or CRT TVs larger than 32". Bring everything else to them. Computers and any related computer stuff, stereo receivers, cd players, tape decks, flat screens TVs, VCRs, any kind of wires and cables, etc.

Had no idea they offer this and wanted to pass it along.

I like it, thank you for that.

From their Faq page:

What's done with all the electronics and large appliances once you receive them for recycling?

Best Buy works with electronics recyclers that adhere to the highest guidelines and standards. This assures customers that the products we are given for recycling do not end up in landfills and that all hazardous materials are disposed of properly. For specifics about our recycling standards, visit http://www.bestbuy.com/site/null/null/pcmcat174700050010.c?id=pcmcat174700050010.

We actually have curb side recycling.  It cost's about $35 for 3 months but it's very convenient.

We do have a recycling truck stop every two weeks in Madison.  We still accumulate stuff the truck won't take but still needs to be recycled.  About every six months I'll drive to one of the two recycling hubs in town to drop off.....whatever, oil, deep cycle battery, old shoes, some electronics, plastic bags.....

Stuff arrives at our home and rarely leaves.  Feel great after dropping off a car full of stuff to recycle.