RSW-15 & LaScalas in A New Light

Youthman

The side lighting on the LS's above look a little too harsh to me, creating too much contrast. To me you have great detail in the light side, then the shadow has none, being completely black.
I thought the woofer pic was better balanced with softer lighting and balanced contrast.
The evening sun at about 4:00 pm will give you those nice long shadows with a subdued sunlight look for the outdoor shots.
I presume you are using a zoom lens.
I'm thinking for a posed portrait picture of an individual or couple (which I don't think you're going to do at this kind of event) the ideal focal length is about 100,
Be sure and get all the girls together sitting on the stairway.
And of course, what could be better than the girls all doing the "Charlie's Angels fingers together back-to-back gun pose?" It's a classic.

Thanks.  That's one area I stink at....posing.  I've only done a few "Portrait" sessions just as favors for free.  I've never had to tell my Klipsch speakers where to put their woofers.

Hey Youth here is one more B&H video. Its by Jerry Ghionis who is amazing and a great teacher. I shot my sister in law's wedding a few years ago and his tips made a huge difference.

A big thing that helped me is to remind them to NEVER have their arms against their torso as it flattens the bicep and makes them look heavier due to perspective. Also, anything closer to the camera looks bigger and anything further away looks smaller.

Good luck on the shoot! It can be stressful but its always such a rush to take your skills in a setting where you need to be spot on.

Agree with WVUs comments.

If there are other parents taking pictures, you will want to make sure that you are the alpha picture taker and that their eyes and direction should be at you until you are done. That is speaking from experience where everyone's eyes are all over the place. Usually at their parent. I am also a huge fan of candid shots. The side groups will get some of the best and relaxed pictures.

Additionally, using a second light can really take care of the shadows and contrasting side issues. If you really want to have some fun, add a halo light above the subjects. Depending on the camera you are using, I always preferred to use a prime 50 or 85 on my camera for portrait photos. As WVU mention 100 was ideal. For me it was a personal preference. Canon makes a very decent cheap 50 that is not L glass, but takes a really good picture for the money and it is a relatively quick lens.

Its a little more expensive but the Canon 85mm 1.8 is by far my favorite portrait lens. The 50mm 1.8 is great and better for group shots with a crop sensor but I found you need to stop it down a little or things get fuzzy. 

Youthman, you are more than prepared! 

And you are worried about the posing?  Ha! 

Well yeah, you are going to have to round up the guys because they won't have a clue what to do.  Just understand, they are there just as accessories for the girls, like a hand bag.  But the girls?

The girls.

Your job is to point the camera and then get the heck out of the way before they trample you down to get their picture taken for this glam shoot.  They are dressed up like models, they've got the makeup going, they've got the hair just right.  They are in their glory for this occasion, and nothing at this moment in their lives is more important than getting their pictures taken.

Get any two girls or more together and they know exactly how to tilt their little heads in towards each other, wet their lips and how to smile coyly.  If they are standing, trust me they just how to do the "hand on hip" thing to make them appear slimmer.  Don't worry about posing the girls (except for the staircase shot) because believe me, they've got it covered.  :rolleyes:

You'll be stunned as it will look like they've been practicing for weeks just for this moment.  B)

Oh yeah, don't forget to get "mommy shots."  It's their last chance to be cool with their daughters, and since Mom just spent all the time and money to buy the prom dresses, the daughters are usually pretty cooperative at this point.  It won't last, so take lots of pictures so the mommies will have something to prove to other mommies that at least at one time in their lives, their daughters tolerated them.

Lastly, ask someone to take a pic of you, taking pictures of them.  It's the least the other parents can do. 

One will be enough, and it will be your treasure.  :)

Looks like I will be buying a D7100 tomorrow...figured it is a good time to upgrade from the D7000 since I will be taking photos of 30 kids this Saturday.  Wish I was getting paid for it.  LOL

Congrats!  Supposed to be a significant upgrade over the D7000.  Will be interested to hear your impressions after the big shoot with it this weekend.

• Moderators

I've been considering upgrading for almost a year. Meeting with a seller today. Has a D7100 with only 1300 shutter clicks. He was asking $600. I offered $500 and he accepted. Should be abler to get $350-$400 for my D7000 so I won't have too much out of pocket to upgrade.

• Moderators
That 50mm 1.8 is exactly the lens I was talking about. Really a fantastic lens for the money.

I don't use it a lot but it is a great little lens, very sharp, acts like a 70mm on a DX camera.

• Like 1

That 50mm 1.8 is exactly the lens I was talking about. Really a fantastic lens for the money.

I don't use it a lot but it is a great little lens, very sharp, acts like a 70mm on a DX camera.

I and everyone knows what you mean by that, but... no it doesn't. :ph34r:

I and everyone knows what you mean by that, but... no it doesn't. :ph34r:

If this comment implies what I think it does, we are about to embark on a photographic argument worse than capacitors... :( 

Youthman, you can set the on camera flash to commander, TTL and set the sb700 to remote with the switch on TTL, that way the on camera flash will tell the sb700 how much power to use. I usually set the on camera flash power to -- (double dash) so it only acts as a trigger for the sb700, it also adds just a tiny bit of catch light to make the eyes sparkle. No need for radio trigger.

• Moderators

Bob, I'm a little confused at your advice.

Youthman, you can set the on camera flash to commander, TTL and set the sb700 to remote with the switch on TTL, that way the on camera flash will tell the sb700 how much power to use.

If I do that, wouldn't the on camera flash be part of the exposure?

I usually set the on camera flash power to -- (double dash) so it only acts as a trigger for the sb700, it also adds just a tiny bit of catch light to make the eyes sparkle. No need for radio trigger.

This is how I have it set now. 

My Settings In Commander Mode:

Built-in flash set to ---

Group A - TTL

Group B - TTL

The umbrella I borrowed is a shoot through since it doesn't have a reflective cover.  If I'm shooting through, can the meter in the flash see the subject since it is on the other side of the umbrella?