Craziness in Toronto baseball

jimjimbo

Incredible game!  What a remarkable inning, we won't see anything like that again... ever is likely.  Three straight errors to load the bases?!  Unheard of! 

And if they have 18 min of action, they have football beat by 64%!  Only 11 min of action, then lots of getting up, replays, etc.  It's why the 5 min highlight show on Sunday nights do so well I suppose.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052748704281204575002852055561406

I love watching both.  (well - I enjoy watching basketball, hockey and soccer as well.)

In the end it's still baseball. 10% is watchable action. 90% is standing around. I think there's about 18 minutes of actual activity in any given game. For you fans of the game, I hope your team wins.

Baseball is a drama that unfolds in time. Like a novel, or a film. There's no drama in a film where guns are going off continuously, is there? It's best to see in the stadium where the whole field and all players can be watched. Television kills baseball by mistakenly filming the game with zoom lenses. On top of that, the audio is totally polluted with three guys talking incessantly like chattering monkeys. They are trying to add excitement by adding noise. It doesn't work. Fans of the game hate it.

In the old days, a real play by play guy, working alone, could make the game intriguing, even if just on radio. This new world made for low attention span people, demand constant non stop jiberish coupled with nonstop camera jiggling, flipping, twisting, graphics flying nonsense. TV has pretty much ruined baseball.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

In the old days, a real play by play guy, working alone, could make the game intriguing, even if just on radio. This new world made for low attention span people, demand constant non stop jiberish coupled with nonstop camera jiggling, flipping, twisting, graphics flying nonsense. TV has pretty much ruined baseball.

So, I guess this means we shouldn't be looking forward to an invitation to watch a game at your place anytime soon?

I am a fan, and I have this new fangled thing called "volume control"....it works pretty well. 

So, I guess this means we shouldn't be looking forward to an invitation to watch a game at your place anytime soon?

I am a fan, and I have this new fangled thing called "volume control"....it works pretty well. 

Individuality works for me. 

In the end it's still baseball. 10% is watchable action. 90% is standing around. I think there's about 18 minutes of actual activity in any given game. For you fans of the game, I hope your team wins.

Baseball is a drama that unfolds in time.  Yes, the time it takes between plays and between action kills it for me.

Like a novel, or a film. There's no drama in a film where guns are going off continuously, is there? It's best to see in the stadium where the whole field and all players can be watched. Television kills baseball by mistakenly filming the game with zoom lenses. On top of that, the audio is totally polluted with three guys talking incessantly like chattering monkeys.They are trying to add excitement by adding noise. It doesn't work. Fans of the game hate it.  They do that to fill the dead time between plays. 

In the old days, a real play by play guy, working alone, could make the game intriguing, even if just on radio. This new world made for low attention span people, demand constant non stop jiberish coupled with nonstop camera jiggling, flipping, twisting, graphics flying nonsense. TV has pretty much ruined baseball.  Baseball is the same game now that it was 100 years ago.  That's the problem.

Sent from my SM-T330NU using Tapatalk

Baseball is more like playing chess than playing a first person shooting video game. Chess on TV was never popular, and so the brilliant minds at the networks began adding "color men" to the booth. It started with one, to add statistical info to the play by play. But again, it was considered too slow and then more guys were added to the booth, plus more cameras, more gimmicks and more on screen graphical activity. Overlays, plots of ball trajectories, radar info, slo mo, endless replays and whatever the directors could think up to make it appear that there was more action to appeal to the video game players and others with short attention spans. At this point, there is no dramatic space left in a TV game. At what should be dramatic moments, two numbskulls will be talking about some event back in their hay day of playing, or slipping in ad placements, or laughing or just anything to fill the air time. They are attempting to rope in non-baseball fans. I'm sure it works to some degree on the ratings. 

Baseball is a game filled with tremendous mythology and all the archetypes. But, to enjoy it, you have to be up on the history, the backgrounds, the players. The good play by play guys used to know how to bring this to bear on each moment of the game. But that doesn't work with three clowns all trying to out talk each other, and camera men just randomly zooming in on guys picking their noses. The TV directors haven't a clue where to aim the camera when the ball isn't being pitched. 

But, go to a game, and you can still have the real baseball experience. Or, in some areas, they still have good radio announcers. 

But, to enjoy it, you have to be up on the history, the backgrounds, the players. The good play by play guys used to know how to bring this to bear on each moment of the game. But that doesn't work with three clowns all trying to out talk each other, and camera men just randomly zooming in on guys picking their noses. The TV directors haven't a clue where to aim the camera when the ball isn't being pitched.

All your points are valid and well taken.  To the casual observer such as myself who is not up on the history and background of the game, it's barely watchable, not because of the clowns in the booth are the mucking things up rather: 

the time between pitches

first base pick off attempts preventing a pitch

batters stepping out constantly

an infinite number of foul balls per batter

changing pitchers 2 to 3 times per inning (situationally) and waiting for the next guy to warm up (to name a few)

If football has less action, you'd never know it as you know when the next play has to happen due to the play clock.  Replay fills the time between plays as well which is as good thing as you can't see everything going on with every player on every play in one take.

Personally I like watching soccer.  I'll even watch the Italian league or Mexican league as you don't need commentary to tell what's going on.  Action is non stop other than penalties which are extremely brief.

I never realized they had chess on TV.  I doubt I would have watched that either.

Baseball is the same game now that it was 100 years ago.  That's the problem.

Actually, that's a feature, not a bug. It's what drives the massive statistical records aspect of the game. And that, is a huge draw for a large segment of baseball fans. The fact that you CAN compare the performance of a player today, with players in the old days, is a big feature of the baseball obsession. People on the outside don't get this. Statistics is one of the bulwarks of the game. That, and the predominance of "one on one duels." It's what makes the game very different than typical team sports. it actually is a game of individuals, with a team wrapper. Grienke vs. Murphey - that's the nature of baseball. 

• Like 1

But, to enjoy it, you have to be up on the history, the backgrounds, the players. The good play by play guys used to know how to bring this to bear on each moment of the game. But that doesn't work with three clowns all trying to out talk each other, and camera men just randomly zooming in on guys picking their noses. The TV directors haven't a clue where to aim the camera when the ball isn't being pitched.

All your points are valid and well taken.  To the casual observer such as myself who is not up on the history and background of the game, it's barely watchable, not because of the clowns in the booth are the mucking things up rather: 

the time between pitches

first base pick off attempts preventing a pitch

batters stepping out constantly

an infinite number of foul balls per batter

changing pitchers 2 to 3 times per inning (situationally) and waiting for the next guy to warm up (to name a few)

If football has less action, you'd never know it as you know when the next play has to happen due to the play clock.  Replay fills the time between plays as well which is as good thing as you can't see everything going on with every player on every play in one take.

Personally I like watching soccer.  I'll even watch the Italian league or Mexican league as you don't need commentary to tell what's going on.  Action is non stop other than penalties which are extremely brief.

I never realized they had chess on TV.  I doubt I would have watched that either.

Totally understandable. I have no trouble understanding why many people don't like it. I'd would give a big list of why I don't like football. We all have different tastes about this stuff. That's good!

I always liked playing baseball more than watching baseball. I did play for 11 years. If I wasn't catching, I was pitching. There is definitely a mental aspect of the game between the pitcher and the batter, I always liked that part. Being able to place that pitch anywhere you wanted was a big deal, even your body language had an effect on the batter. 

I can see both sides of this argument. MLB wants to hype it up to allure new fans, and the dire hard fans beg for the old days. Some of those old photos showing the fans all dressed up in suits and hats, there were awesome days to me.

I think the PED scene over the last decade or so has hurt baseball a lot, but it has rebounded somewhat. 

Babe Ruth's PEDs were a beer and a hotdog :D

Yes, times have changed.  I remember seeing the old black and white photos of the crowds that used to be at baseball, horse racing and boxing events.  The attendance numbers were phenomenal, especially when compared to today.  Times AND tastes are changing.  Now car racing pulls more viewers than horse racing.  Boxing is a shell of a sport compared to where it once was and is being replaced in popularity by MMA.  Football routinely trounces baseball in ratings.  I wonder where it will all be 100 years from now?

Toronto fans showing their true colors.  They are clearly frustrated Leafs fans making personal chants against the opposing pitcher. (even after he is out of the game) Someone needs to remind them this is not hockey.  They are losing a lot of dignitas around the baseball world.   They are making mets fans seem refined.

Edited by oldtimer