DACs, DACs, DACs?

Wolfbane

Need to look at adding another DAC into a secondary system that is strictly 2 channel. It's been some time since I last purchased a DAC. What is out there now for two listening mostly music some PC sourced (USB3), some digital. Some RCA inputs, and for sure balanced outputs to an older Scott tube amp?

Budget: up to $700 but would prefer to spend less.  :)

??  

What Scott takes a balanced output?

I'd look for a used MHDT Havana or stretch the budget a bit for new.  That won't have RCA inputs though... if you want extra analog inputs on the DAC you might look at a Grant Fidelity DAC... nice enough features and sound for the money.  Decent tube DACs to go with the Scott.

• Like 1

??  

What Scott takes a balanced output?

I'd look for a used MHDT Havana or stretch the budget a bit for new.  That won't have RCA inputs though... if you want extra analog inputs on the DAC you might look at a Grant Fidelity DAC... nice enough features and sound for the money.  Decent tube DACs to go with the Scott.

Current amp in place is a rebuilt Scott 222C but that may change at some point in the future. I already have both a GF DAC09 and DAC11. One hooked up in my main system (the 11) and the earlier 09 part of a home theater system (for digital inputs).

I was thinking something more neutral sounding and newer without a tube in the DAC this time.  :)

I switched back to valve amps in the late 70's. Push-pull triodes, pentodes, and SET from the likes of McIntosh, Audio Research, Wright Sound Labs & Luxman.

Five to 10 years ago I wouldn't be saying this. My advice is to dump the Scott. Ultimately I would recommend a direct digital DAC integrated amplifier like the NAD C390DD or M2 (using HDMI not USB - M2 doesn't have HDMI) which is obviously beyond your budget considerations. Why not try a NAD D7050 ($800) or D3020 ($400). Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy and in my experience platinum quality customer service.

I was ready to jump on some McIntosh MC501 or MC1.2K/C2200/2300 until I heard a NAD C390DD in my system, three different ones in fact. They all sounded exactly the same. The tube stuff actually sounded grainy by comparison.

• Like 2

I switched back to valve amps in the late 70's. Push-pull triodes, pentodes, and SET from the likes of McIntosh, Audio Research, Wright Sound Labs & Luxman.

Five to 10 years ago I wouldn't be saying this. My advice is to dump the Scott. Ultimately I would recommend a direct digital DAC integrated amplifier like the NAD C390DD or M2 (using HDMI not USB - M2 doesn't have HDMI) which is obviously beyond your budget considerations. Why not try a NAD D7050 ($800) or D3020 ($400). Crutchfield has a 60 day return policy and in my experience platinum quality customer service.

I was ready to jump on some McIntosh MC501 or MC1.2K/C2200/2300 until I heard a NAD C390DD in my system, three different ones in fact. They all sounded exactly the same. The tube stuff actually sounded grainy by comparison.

Thanks,  never even knew that NAD made separate DAC's I'll google them both.

Certainly, If you wait a week I will have the multibit bifrost here and comparing it to my upgraded havana,  I have a feeling the Multibit will offer a bit more refinement while remaining analog sounding (at least thats the rub I am getting from over on head-fi)

That is a great place to read up on various DACs 

Thanks,  never even knew that NAD made separate DAC's I'll google them both.

Actually those are not just "DAC's". They are DAC Amplifiers. Everything integrated into one unit. Fewer connections. Shorter signal path. Better isolation. Fewer sample rate/bit depth conversions. I haven't hear the 7050 or 3020. Hopefully they are similar in sound quality to the C390DD, just less  power, features and not up-gradable (the C390 has up-gradable modules). That's why I mentioned Crutchfield - you'll have 60 days to test & compare. All I can tell you is the C390 will sonically hold it's own with any linear amplifier at any price. Yeah, you *might* be able to do "better", like .01% better at 20 to 30 times the price.