Driving the West Coast Highway (Oregon/California)?

Wolfbane

Thinking of driving south a portion of the scenic highway 1 from the Great White North this Fall. Last time we did this was July 2006 heading north from Phoenix via LA into Oregon.

Anything we need to be aware of other than early morning fog when driving this route this time of year? I'm thinking slope stability concerns with precipitation, etc.?

Also, wondering if people are smoking weed and driving more in Washington State given the recent change in the law there?  :ph34r:

• Moderators

There is probably a statistically greater chance of being wiped out by a tsunami than having an issue with slope stability.

I would worry more about the big one hitting while on a concrete bridge on Hwy 1.

I don't think they are smoking any more weed, or any less weed,in CA, WA or Oregon.

You want to check out Coastal Sequoias, tallest tress on Earth. I always loked areas around Ft. Bragg and surrounding towns.

• Like 1

You do mean 101, correct?

Are you a golfer?  Bandon, Oregon has 3 of the top 20 golf courses ON THE PLANET.

The Redwoods around Eureka, CA are better than you can imagine.

The Tillamook area of Oregon is beautiful, and the cheese factory there is worth visiting.....

Ask away, been there many times up and down the coast, lived in the Seattle area, and have family in Portland.

• Like 3

Such beautiful country.

In '70 I drove with my fiancé from Chicago to LA and up Big Sur to SF. The Drive Away car had a loose steering system and so I didn't look at much of anything but the yellow line. (We had to make the trip for an important family matter. Drive Away is rumored to ask you to transport high class cars. Like in "Vanishing Point" transporters get a muscle car. In this case, the owner was clever in having the unwary transport a dangerous clunker. I should have cancelled.) Sorry for the rant.

Then in '98 I drove (after the divorce) from SF up into Northern California. Beautiful.

Then about '09 a gal pal drove us south through Big Sur. I was in the passenger seat looking down to the ocean. Marvelous. She is a very good driver though in spots PCH doesn't have any guard rails IIRC. The lesson is that you passenger will get more of a view than the driver.

The bottom line is that the trip will be beautiful. As you allude to, you should stop to see the sights to explore.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

Done it twice, Washington to San Fran, and Oregon to San Fran. Jimbo's you're correct, but it depends on where you are. PCH 1 is more commonly used, but north of CA, it 101. While traveling through Washington and Oregon, you've more likely to run over a hippie than encounter of mud slide.

You shouldn't have to worry about the freaking camper crowds either, probably a great time of year to make the drive. Have fun, and be safe.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Are you a golfer? Bandon, Oregon has 3 of the top 20 golf courses ON THE PLANET.

The Tillamook area of Oregon is beautiful, and the cheese factory there is worth visiting.....

Ask away, been there many times up and down the coast, lived in the Seattle area, and have family in Portland.

No, not 101, Hwy 1.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Are you a golfer? Bandon, Oregon has 3 of the top 20 golf courses ON THE PLANET.

No, not 101, Hwy 1.

There arenat least 40 bridges just like this one all down the Coast Hwy, I would not want to be on one when the next big one hits.

post-13028-0-95660000-1445482205_thumb.j

post-13028-0-82660000-1445482218_thumb.j

There is probably a statistically greater chance of being wiped out by a tsunami than having an issue with slope stability.

I would worry more about the big one hitting while on a concrete bridge on Hwy 1.

I don't think they are smoking any more weed, or any less weed,in CA, WA or Oregon.

You want to check out Coastal Sequoias, tallest tress on Earth. I always loked areas around Ft. Bragg and surrounding towns.

One of my uncle's, along with all 4 other cross country skiers he was with that day were killed in an avalanche west of Banff, Alberta in February 1990. The Park Rangers needed nearly an entire week to find them and then dig them out. It was described to us as 'a once in a 100 year event'. It cleared the mountain side of every tree and boulder. I had the unhappy task of having to identify his remains at the Provincial Medical Examiners about 5 days after recovery as his remains were frozen solid. When a slide like that pulls every rock and tree down the slope for hundreds of yards I can assure you they did not go quietly into the good night.

Are you a golfer?  Bandon, Oregon has 3 of the top 20 golf courses ON THE PLANET.

Yes Highway 1. Saw the Tillamook Plant a few years back when we spent a 2 week family vacation on Cannon Beach. Worth a re-visit for sure. I've been to Portland a number of times and a few times to Seattle. Wife loves the no state sales tax shopping in Portland.

Travis, that looks like Bixby Creek Bridge…been there--great scenery.  Big Sur is another cool place…and of course, you can always hang a left at San Francisco and visit my beloved Oakland.  :D

I’m also a fan of Bodega Bay (where they filmed the movie The Birds), Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz.

No, not 101, Hwy 1.

There arenat least 40 bridges just like this one all down the Coast Hwy, I would not want to be on one when the next big one hits.

In July 2006 it was just the wife and I in a 2 door sports car with no backseat, trunk space, glove box or cupholder's. I forgot to bring my radar detector and she kept saying 'you're going to get a ticket'. Managed to get one state patrol officer to wag his finger at me in California as he went by going the other way and another to flip on his flashing lights as he blew past me going south in southern Oregon. If he was actually after me at the time he did not pursue or stop me. So no tickets.  ;)

This time I'm bringing my radar detector and a car with a trunk.

Travis, that looks like Bixby Creek Bridge…been there--great scenery.  Big Sur is another cool place…and of course, you can always hang a left at San Francisco and visit my beloved Oakland.  :D

I’m also a fan of Bodega Bay (where they filmed the movie The Birds), Half Moon Bay, and Santa Cruz.

I had taken 4 rolls of (36 exp) 35mm B&W film on the trip home including that very bridge. My professional film processor managed to ruin all four developing them. The only other time he ever screwed up was my eldest daughter's High School Grad. I used two different cameras that day, one 35mm and one larger format Rolleiflex. He ruined the 35mm roll but not the few shots I took that day with the Rollei. 

Lesson learned. This time I'm taking my digital camera only. :)

Edited by Wolfbane
  • Like 1

I'm not a golfer. Probably the only northern guy that spends winter vacations in Arizona and does not golf. Trying to put a little white ball that you whack with a stick into a hole hundreds of yards away requires more patience then I currently possess.

The scenery is usually better around the swimming pool so I'm not hurting while there,  :)

The Tillamook area of Oregon is beautiful

i wholeheartedly agree…and mmmm, cheese

Tillamook makes great aged Cheddar Cheese. We can't get it here in Canada due to protective laws for dairy farmers here (think big sugar). The only better cheese from the Pacific NW I've had is the canned cheeses made and sold by WSU. If we drive through Spokane this time I'm picking some of the canned stuff at the WSU Bookstore there.

Edited by Wolfbane