Driving the West Coast Highway (Oregon/California)?

Wolfbane

Saw the Tubes anout 25 times, in very small bars. The Dead Kennedys and remember when Jello ran for mayor. Saw Boz Scaggs in several small bars, and Van Morrison lived in the Bay Area in the 70s. Par Simmons' father was the Principal at my Elementary School.

Dont forget, It's A Beautiful Day

Lucky you!  You must have been a familiar face in the crowd at the Tubes shows.

I saw the Tubes 4 times around Toronto, in a small bar, a convention centre, a dance club, and, when they were hot, in Maple Leaf Gardens, with Rough Trade as the openers.  That was a great one!

Also saw Van Morrison at Convocation Hall at the University of Toronto.  That venue saw lots of great music.  From the mid-Seventies to the early Eighties, I saw Renaissance, the Hollies, Al Stewart, and Tom Waits play there, as well as Van Morrison.  It's a rotunda-type building that seats more than 1700.  Bob Marley did two shows there in 1976, but I missed them.

Man, we sure got off topic in this thread!

Edited by Islander

Thinking of driving south a portion of the scenic highway 1 from the Great White North this Fall. I'm thinking slope stability concerns with precipitation, etc.? Also, wondering if people are smoking weed and driving more in Washington State given the recent change in the law there? :ph34r:

Hey Wolfbane,

We used to drive down and up Highway 1 confidently.  More recently, we drive south by some other route, then return north on Highway 1.  That way we are driving on the INSIDE, rather than hanging out over the cliffs and water, particularly in Big Sur.  We make sure it is morning or early afternoon so that the sun is not in our eyes.

My first time down was in 1965.  It didn't bother me at all, and, believe me, plenty of drivers were using weed then.  But now, we drive only north, because:

• The States may not be maintaining the road as well ... budget cuts.
  • The heavy rains that will be hitting long-dry soil perhaps causing slides.
  • Age (mine)
  • Road crowding
  • A friend's father's car was rammed off that road by an unsafe driver.  He was lost.  In another case, a woman I know wondered why her boyfriend didn't show up.  His car was found at the bottom of a cliff.

If you like Big Sur, though, you can go there mentally by reading Robinson Jeffers (The Double Axe), Jack Kerouac's Big Sur (or see the so-so movie), or read the fragment La Costa del Sur by Jaime De Angulo.

Edited by garyrc
  • Like 2

You do mean 101, correct?

Are you a golfer? Bandon, Oregon has 3 of the top 20 golf courses ON THE PLANET.

The Redwoods around Eureka, CA are better than you can imagine.

The Tillamook area of Oregon is beautiful, and the cheese factory there is worth visiting.....

Ask away, been there many times up and down the coast, lived in the Seattle area, and have family in Portland.

No, not 101, Hwy 1.

The drive is beautiful, but it will take considerably longer than on 101. We went from Hearst Castle from San Francisco, and it took like 7 or 8 hours. :( After the drive i decided to take 101 for the return trip as i didn't want to take all the slow corners again...nor hear from people in the back seat that they were getting car sick.

Thinking of driving south a portion of the scenic highway 1 from the Great White North this Fall. I'm thinking slope stability concerns with precipitation, etc.? Also, wondering if people are smoking weed and driving more in Washington State given the recent change in the law there? :ph34r:

Hey Wolfbane,

We used to drive down and up Highway 1 confidently.  More recently, we drive south by some other route, then return north on Highway 1.  That way we are driving on the INSIDE, rather than hanging out over the cliffs and water, particularly in Big Sur.  We make sure it is morning or early afternoon so that the sun is not in our eyes.

My first time down was in 1965.  It didn't bother me at all, and, believe me, plenty of drivers were using weed then.  But now, we drive only north, because:

• The States may not be maintaining the road as well ... budget cuts.
  • The heavy rains that will be hitting long-dry soil perhaps causing slides.
  • Age (mine)
  • Road crowding
  • A friend's father's car was rammed off that road by an unsafe driver.  He was lost.  In another case, a woman I know wondered why her boyfriend didn't show up.  His car was found at the bottom of a cliff.

If you like Big Sur, though, you can go there mentally by reading Robinson Jeffers (The Double Axe), Jack Kerouac's Big Sur (or see the so-so movie), or read the fragment La Costa del Sur by Jaime De Angulo.

Actually we are in Arizona now after crossing the 49th last Saturday. We decided to redo the 2006 trip up Highway 1 (north) on the return trip. We stayed the 1st night in 'But' Montana at this place after arriving well after dark:

http://www.hauntedhouses.com/states/mt/copper_king_mansion.htm

For the 1st time ever I was awakened at 2:00 AM by music playing instead of the wife's usual snoring. Got up in the dark to find the head and did a one and a half gainer face first into some pottery in front of a mirror waking up the wife. Relied on my natural cat like reflexes to grab the antique pottery crap before it smashed into the mirror.

Escaped 7 years of bad luck but it was an interesting trip from there.  :)