Sold: XPA-100 Monoblock (2)

Rivernuggets

How do you hook these up and play content/music. Is it like an AV receiver. Any info is appreciated.

To simplify, we'll use an AVR as an example.  The signal from your DVD player comes into the AVR where the AVR decides what format to use, stereo, mono, 5.1, etc.  At this point the signal is very weak and is in the PRE-AMP section, so if the signal went to the speakers the sound would be very low.  

The pre-amp of the AVR then sends the signal to the AMPLIFIER section which boosts the output by a lot.  The amp section is the "50 watts per channel, or 120 watts per channel."  The more speakers you use, the less power is available for each speaker.  My 100 wpc AVR might give 2 channels 100 wpc, but if I use all 5.1 then each channel might get 30 wpc. (speaking roughly here)  Enter the separate amp.

In the case of these mono amps, the AVR uses a "pre-amplifier OUT" connection to by-pass the AVR's power amp and deliver the big power of the mono-block amp directly to two channels usually the L/R.  The AVR then has additional power to send to the surround speakers and the center speaker.

Every speaker gets more power and the monoblock amps will deliver more dynamics to the L/R.

The key to making this work is that your AVR must have built-in separate Pre-outs.  I bought my Onkyo 717 for exactly that reason, I planned on adding separate amps later if my speakers needed them.  The basic AVR's do not usually have pre-outs.  Some others have two pre-outs for the L/R, and mid-range AVR's almost always have five pre-outs for L/C/R and surrounds.

If your AVR has the pre-outs, all you need in most cases is one RCA cable per amp to hook to each monoblock amp and you are good to go.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Dave, thanks for an informative explanation.  I believe that even I understand now about the functions of the pre-amp and amp!

Clarity and understanding make for much better discussion and problem resolution.  :)

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 3

There are moments I really loathe not being in the continental U.S.  Those would be perfect for my office set up, I'd have to shop around but first glance, UPS said a mere $330 they'd deliver them to me from WI.  :emotion-41:

Holy Heck!

$330, that's a real bummer.

I'm surprised these hasn't sold also.

• Like 1

Everybody wants to get to heaven, nobody wants to die.  B)

I'm glad you sold them, but sorry to see them go.

Did they get sold through Ebay, and did you get your price for them? (in general, not specifically)

Edited by wvu80