Any Militaria type collectors here ? I found something

joessportster

In my mind this is an OUTSTANDING item

So I wonder if there are any collectors here because this may be more than I can handle

I came across a personal account of WW2 and the Korean war 48 year Veteran Barney Baily It is all dictated on cassette tapes,  My understanding is the narrator was the man he is telling stories / accounts of his time on the ground in the Wars

a couple examples  from the titles are Side A Crossing the Seig River,  Lt Felix gets shot, Side B, Memory of being in Czec. may 8 1945,

another example Baileys WW2 experience 1945,  side B, songs and music of WW2

as stated MANY more

So are there any collectors here that would find something like this interesting ?? 

• Like 3

I have to get a darn cassette player now and see what some of these sound like, They came from his estate it was said he submitted a book for publish. I could not find out anything about that

The guy at the sale told me he would talk for hours, He shared a short story about his youth

Mr. Bailey (heretofore referred to as BB) was an Orphan.  BB shared a story of being raised in the orphanage, they had a dirt field next to the orphanage. Passers bye would throw change from there car into the field, The children had assigned locations and would take a piece of window screen and sift the dirt looking for the change. I assume to support the orphanage.............After leaving the orphanage BB served 48 years in the USArmy

There must be quite the story on these tapes to unfold

• Like 3

That's actually my field of study!

In fact, I am pending a grant for a vets preservation project next spring. The project goes into WWII, what the public is told and taught vs. actual accounts.

Very cool stuff Joe!

P.s. I am interested if the museum is not. It wouldn't be the only piece of primary that I've saved.

Edited by IbizaFlame

In fact, I am pending a grant for a vets preservation project next spring. The project goes into WWII, what the public is told and taught vs. actual accounts.

Very cool stuff Joe!

P.s. I am interested if the museum is not. It wouldn't be the only piece of primary that I've saved.

IBIZ

Why do you have a Hawkeye next to the Iowa ST name?

Just wondering :D :D :D

Mark

Very cool stuff Joe!

IBIZ

Mark

You're looking at it incorrectly.

Very cool stuff Joe!

IBIZ

Mark

And then there's this smart guy! :P

Edited by IbizaFlame

Very cool stuff Joe!

IBIZ

Mark

You're looking at it incorrectly.

IDK, Reading it left to right, I see a Hawkeye and then Iowa ST. Isn't it a hike to Ames from your place? Although I will say that the road trip for Visilla? is well worth it.

Mark

Very cool stuff Joe!

IBIZ

Mark

And then there's this smart guy! :P

Everybody likes a little *** once in a while

Nobody likes a smart ***

Mark

• Moderators

Send ine if them to WWII musume in NOLA, they have an oral history curator

What?

I hope you're not driving?

Mark

That was pretty bad, even for me.

"Send one of them" is what I was hoping to say.

I would have sent Joe my cassette to cassette player so he could Dub a set for the musuem.

Maybe Ibiza could use them for an independent study course and produce a paper. That could possibly turn into a dissertation or thesis later on.

Laura Hildebrand turned a WW II survival story into a new art form of biography with her book Unbroken.

The National WW II musuem is in New Orleans, Louisiana.

I know an academic historian would have to go a considerable effort to verify what information is on those tapes. It would be interesting to see what all is involved in that process.

Travis