Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

TasDom

WhiteTrashCar, without the car...

Of the 12 rules applicable under the Marquess of Queensberry rules which have fundamentally guided modern boxing the UFC game violates almost all of them.

As such, I view UFC as just a small step up from a bar fight.

Way less corruption in UFC than organized boxing, especially in the UFCs early days before the ruled the shite out of the matches. A good or great boxer has a very definite advantage over a non trained fighter, but Queensberry rules have nothing to do with who wins in a real life fight> Nobody goes into a fight trying to make friends or impress on anyone that "Wow, they really fought a fair fight. Instead, you are in there to do as much damage to your opponent while receiving as little damage as possible to yourself. In 10 years, nobody will remember if you followed "The Rules", but they will remember if you got your hinny handed to you!

For Rhonda's next fight, she needs to train harder and shoot from the start for a take down. Rhonda biggest mistake in this fight besides lack of conditioning was to go on the offensive with a stand up game with a better striker. As the favored fighter, she could have waited and stayed up at a distance all day long, making her opponent chase her until she could have capitalized on a mistake from her opponent!

Personally, I followed the UFC from the very beginning and enjoyed it a lot more when they were braking each others arms from a lack of rules! That is how it happens in real life and so it should be in the octagon. What about when they tried to bring Hoyce Gracey out of retirement but ruled out his ability to use his Gi? That Gi is what gave Hoyce his fame and helped build the UFC and you are going to rule out his most effective weapon?? You couldn't do that on the street! That is like telling Tank Abbot that he can't hit a guy when he is on the ground! Being able to bench press 600 pounds doesn't do a lot for your stand up as it is speed not strength that wins in stand up, but put that head on a mat where it can't snap away from all that strength, and it makes all of the difference in the world!

I'll tell you one thing, if you ever square off with me in parson, I aint there to impress anyone with how fare I fought you, but I am going to inflict the most severe damage I possibly can on you. :)

Roger

I have watched highlights and the fight itself multiple times and here’s my thoughts:

1. Holly somehow got inside Rhonda’s head. Even at the pre-match Rhonda was rattled big time. Couldn’t talk straight and was acting erratic as if a bully just cornered her and demanded her lunch money.

2. Holly moved way more than Rhonda is used to. She tried to chase Holly down way too much. When she did attack she was off balance and Holly saw her coming from a mile away.

3. What shocked me the most is that Rhonda just couldn’t close the gap and force the fight to the ground. My son is a Royce Gracie student so we watch him, and that’s how he wins. You can’t go banging with Ken Shamrock and expect to win. You take it to the ground. Can’t believe Rhonda couldn’t do that.

4. Given all situations, I wondered if this fight was rigged. You had Rhonda acting weird beforehand, looking weak, acting weak, being unsportsman like, couldn’t even keep Holly in her signature hold, and the icing on the cake as at the end where Holly’s team said “we were supposed to win” then bragging about winning a ridiculous amount of money by betting on Holly. It’s like they knew the future and the fight was bad acting on Rhonda’s part.

While his name is pronounced Royce, it is spelled Hoyce. :)

Roger

(clip)...You can’t go banging with Ken Shamrock and expect to win. You take it to the ground. (clip).

Yes you can. Rich Franklin, Tito & even Kimbo (& countless others) all took it to Shamrock & defeated him in the 1st round by TKO.

I was talking about Royce Gracie. Kimbo isn't a jiu-jitsu guy. If your specialty is the ground fight, then you get them on the ground. That's what Royce does. That's what Rhonda could not do. Royce nor Rhonda is a stand up striker. If they get forced in to that game then bad things will happen.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

As far as Rousey... lover her. But 3 months between fights is just dumb (even with finishing most of her fights early). Everyone eventually gets caught, get distracted, gets caught in their own hype. I Blame Dana for pushing her (allowing her) to fight 3 months after he last win. But, she'll be back. Give here at least a 6 months or a year before her next fight. She still has skills. Heck Fedor, Urijah & Liddell all got caught, it can happen to anybody. Inevitable.  

• Like 1

As far as Rousey... lover her. But 3 months between fights is just dumb (even with finishing most of her fights early). Everyone eventually gets caught, get distracted, gets caught in their own hype. I Blame Dana for pushing her (allowing her) to fight 3 months after he last win. But, she'll be back. Give here at least a 6 months or a year before her next fight. She still has skills. Heck Fedor, Urijah & Liddell all got caught, it can happen to anybody. Inevitable.

Wouldn't be surprised at all to find out Dana pushed this so Rhonda would loose and make more money off of the rematch!

Roger

• Like 1

(clip)...You can’t go banging with Ken Shamrock and expect to win. You take it to the ground. (clip).

Yes you can. Rich Franklin, Tito & even Kimbo (& countless others) all took it to Shamrock & defeated him in the 1st round by TKO.

I was talking about Royce Gracie. Kimbo isn't a jiu-jitsu guy. If your specialty is the ground fight, then you get them on the ground. That's what Royce does. That's what Rhonda could not do. Royce nor Rhonda is a stand up striker. If they get forced in to that game then bad things will happen.

That was over 20 years ago. Plenty of guys since have taken out Shamrock pretty easy. MMA is not a one dimensional sport anymore. Your statement is at best half right ... with added disclaimers. 

Wouldn't be surprised at all to find out Dana pushed this so Rhonda would loose and make more money off of the rematch!

Roger

Me either. Dana (& Lorenzo Fertitta) clearly have the credit for making the sport what it is today. But Dana is slippery bastard. lol 

• Like 1

That was over 20 years ago. Plenty of guys since have taken out Shamrock pretty easy. MMA is not a one dimensional sport anymore. Your statement is at best half right ... with added disclaimers.

Don't tell me there's nobody out there nowadays who is way better on the ground than while standing up striking. Pretty sure we saw that, what, two days ago? Desperately make whatever point that you must but it's not going to change that fact. If that's the style of fighter you are then you've got to close that gap and get them on the ground, not walk around and be a human punching bag like Rhonda did.

Best example I can think of who is like this is Royce Gracie. And the best example of someone he fought that was of an opposite style is Ken Shamrock. I'm not talking about Ken individually. Say whatever you feel that you must but Royce is not a boxer and he could not hang with Ken when he tried. Royce is good at closing the gap and he's hard to get away from when he does. If Rhonda is going to fight somebody like Holly she's either got to do this, or, well, you know. She did an awful job of what should be her forte.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters

I can tell you anything I want. Half the stuff you say doesn't make sense. Post after post (on any subject) you often go back to explain, correct, or even contradict yourself. 

Desperate? LOL How do you make this stuff up. Your going off on stuff I never even referred to. Have fun.

I can tell you anything I want. Half the stuff you say doesn't make sense. Post after post (on any subject) you often go back to explain, correct, or even contradict yourself.

That's because there's a little troll around these parts that has nothing else better to do than to play word games in an attempt to turn everything into an internet debate then win them.

Brutal. I am a current black belt in karate and can't stand watching this stuff. These ladies are going to be crippled for life.

What style?

Roger

Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu

I study at a very traditional Japanese dojo. A lot of fun and a good work out. I have had a few ribs broken over the years (and fingers and toes) and would have no hesitation breaking someone else's if the need arises but I don't understand watching it for entertainment.

Brutal. I am a current black belt in karate and can't stand watching this stuff. These ladies are going to be crippled for life.

What style?

Roger

Hayashi-ha Shito Ryu

I study at a very traditional Japanese dojo. A lot of fun and a good work out. I have had a few ribs broken over the years (and fingers and toes) and would have no hesitation breaking someone else's if the need arises but I don't understand watching it for entertainment.

Different strokes for different folks ;)

I enjoy watching and second guessing what I would hope I would do in different situations.

I enjoy a good fight, just like some watch NASCAR for the wrecks. Personally, there is not nearly enough carnage for me.

Roger

I still enjoy a good fight. Mainly the UFC now as Bellator has been seeking attention by bringing back washed up 40+ yr old fighters with name recognition only. I have watched the UFC since UFC 5 when an aquaintance from Windsor, Ontario fought his way in. Dave Beneteau. He was a pretty good fighter in his day. I am actually glad they instituted weight classes, and took out some of the brutality of the original sport of UFC. There is definitely more emphasis on being an all around fighter now. That was kind of why I picked Rousey in the fight. I figured she would take it to the ground and submit Holm. Holm never gave her the chance and executed a fantastic fight plan.

Auio sucks but it shows what a beast DB was

For those who are faint of heart try Ultimate Surrender.....hahaha

Edited by teaman