Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

TasDom

This new division is notorious for no defense.  Look at Miesha Tate.  She comes straight at you like a cat then just starts throwing punches from all over.  She never moves her head and does very little lateral motion.  With this, she takes a lot of damage in fights.

Rhonda next time will be smarter than this.  Yes, she has evolved as an offensive striker coming at you like a bull......but she won't do this in a rematch.

Rematch is great for Dana White's pocket.  However, I would like to see Holm fight Cat and/or Tate.   Rousey should fight Cyborg and/or Nunes.  Then maybe a rematch then.

• Like 1

Yeah... she has her testing issues (lol). But you know with all the press & hype surrounding Rousey the past few years... Cyborg was like: "Hey...remember me? I'm the real deal here." Kinda weird now. Originally she was to fight Rousey for the title... now she would have to fight Holm for the title. Unlikely Dana would put Holm in that position, where she had to up against a fighter of Cyborgs caliber so fast.  

• Moderators

I have watched highlights and the fight itself multiple times and here’s my thoughts:

1. Holly somehow got inside Rhonda’s head. Even at the pre-match Rhonda was rattled big time. Couldn’t talk straight and was acting erratic as if a bully just cornered her and demanded her lunch money.

2. Holly moved way more than Rhonda is used to. She tried to chase Holly down way too much. When she did attack she was off balance and Holly saw her coming from a mile away.

3. What shocked me the most is that Rhonda just couldn’t close the gap and force the fight to the ground. My son is a Royce Gracie student so we watch him, and that’s how he wins. You can’t go banging with Ken Shamrock and expect to win. You take it to the ground. Can’t believe Rhonda couldn’t do that.

4. Given all situations, I wondered if this fight was rigged. You had Rhonda acting weird beforehand, looking weak, acting weak, being unsportsman like, couldn’t even keep Holly in her signature hold, and the icing on the cake as at the end where Holly’s team said “we were supposed to win” then bragging about winning a ridiculous amount of money by betting on Holly. It’s like they knew the future and the fight was bad acting on Rhonda’s part.

Of course it's rigged.

• Like 1

In Taekwondo I was taught a good defensive fighter will always beat a good offensive fighter and a good trap fighter will beat a good defensive fighter. A good offensive fighter can beat a trap fighter and on goes the circle. The key is to be all three and use each style when it best suits your needs. People who don't appreciate a good fight must not understand how sporting it actually is. Once the physical limitations are overcome it is almost purely a mental game, like chess. Anticipating your opponent's next move or even setting him up without him knowing. A good fighter is thinking about a move or two ahead, not just rushing in trying to take someone's head off. Holly did a great job setting up her kick to the face, perfect knock out strike. She pushed Ronda away to get some distance then stepped in and crack! lights out. Holly did play a perfect game and made Ronda look like an amateur.

• Like 1

Unlikely Dana would put Holm in that position, where she had to up against a fighter of Cyborgs caliber so fast.

He put her up against someone of Rouseys caliber without blinking an eye.

That because Dana underestimated Holm. Dana put her up as an appetizer to the Rousey/Cyborg fight that he wanted. He didn't expect this outcome. Now that he underestimated Holm & she is the Champion, it changes things. Doubtful her first title defense will be against anyone of Cyborg's caliber. 

They Rousey/Cyborg fight has been discussion for some time. But no way Rousey would move up in class... so Cyborg would have to come down to Bantam. 

Could Cyborg & Holm meet (should Holm remain Champion)? Sure. Eventually. But doubtful that match up would be her first title defense. Plus, to be really effective Cyborg will have to commit to the lighter Bantam class (long term). Dropping that much just to make weight for just "1" fight... can really drain & zap all the energy, power & liveliness from a fighter (removing any inherent  advantage). Rousey/Holm Rematch. Holm/Cyborg. Rousey/Cyborg. I'd like to see them all. Just hope Rousey doesn't go the way of Gina Carano & leave the sport after facing serious challengers.