Ronda Rousey vs. Holly Holm

TasDom

I just watched the fight. Looks like Ronda has been on top for too long and has gotten lazy. She was showing signs of fatigue at the 2 minute mark in the first round and Holly looked fresh throughout the whole fight. With Ronda's ground game ability I think a rematch would go in her favor, assuming she trains half as hard as Holly has. Ronda clearly made the mistake of trying to fight Holly's fight in a stand up game and chasing down a striker especially when tired isn't smart either. I think Ronda will watch the tape, see the mistakes she made and come back the winner.

• Like 3

It was lights out for Ronda...... Holly took her to technical school.

Actually, most of the fights in this UFC event were great to watch, the prelims fights were great too.

Looks like Ronda has been on top for too long and has gotten lazy.

Ronda's not lazy at all. She's just never faced anyone as technical or with the level of experienced as Holly. It was obvious at the weight-in, Ronda was out of character. The pressure was on like never before, and she knew Holly was no chump.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 4

I just watched the fight. Looks like Ronda has been on top for too long and has gotten lazy. She was showing signs of fatigue at the 2 minute mark in the first round and Holly looked fresh throughout the whole fight. With Ronda's ground game ability I think a rematch would go in her favor, assuming she trains half as hard as Holly has. Ronda clearly made the mistake of trying to fight Holly's fight in a stand up game and chasing down a striker especially when tired isn't smart either. I think Ronda will watch the tape, see the mistakes she made and come back the winner.

That pretty much sums it up. 

• Like 1

That pretty much sums it up. 

First UFC Fight for this long time boxing (the sweet science) fan. Looked to me like Rousey's trainer should have had her study the Foreman Ali Rope a Dope fight as she was an absolute dope last night. She should have also trained considerably harder as she was clearly out of gas 3/4ths of the way into the 1st round.It looked a lot like the last middle-school fight I saw between two females in the soccer field, only without the scratching at eyes and hair-pulling.

Pride comes before the Fall. 

I don't keep up with any of it or know any of them.  I just watched the video.  Holly was definitely in shape.  Rhonda looked fatigued.  To me, it was hard to tell if the fatigue came from not being in as good a shape, or whether it was fatigue from Holly landing some big hits.  For that reason, I wouldn't conclude that Rhonda was not in good shape or did not train hard enough.  Close followers of the sport might know more, but from what they are saying, it was quite the upset.

Edited by Jeff Matthews

Ronda did adsorb a lot of punches the first round but if you are in shape you should not be tired.

I don't have experience as a fighter, but it seems to me that it takes a lot of energy out of a person to try to remain standing and poised while the room is spinning and sounds are distorted.  That's what I meant by getting fatigued from taking some major hits. 

Those in the UFC are highly trained fighters who learn a host of different fighting skills and also need to develop great endurance and strength, who basically spend almost every day training and honing their skills.   They have to learn to defend themselves against wrestling, boxing, Thai fighting, Ju-jitsu and Judo to name a few.  The only thing they may have in common with a bar fighter is a certain inclination for combat and perhaps a desire to have a beer every once in awhile. 

Edited by shiva
  • Like 3

Those in the UFC are highly trained fighters who learn a host of different fighting skills and also need to develop great endurance and strength, who basically spend almost every day training and honing their skills.   They have to learn to defend themselves against wrestling, boxing, Thai fighting, Ju-jitsu and Judo to name a few.  The only thing they may have in common with a bar fighter is a certain inclination for combat and perhaps a desire to have a beer every once in awhile. 

Hand-to-hand combat with virtually no etiquette.  The "ultimate survivor."

Edited by Jeff Matthews
  • Like 1

I have watched highlights and the fight itself multiple times and here’s my thoughts:

1. Holly somehow got inside Rhonda’s head. Even at the pre-match Rhonda was rattled big time. Couldn’t talk straight and was acting erratic as if a bully just cornered her and demanded her lunch money.

2. Holly moved way more than Rhonda is used to. She tried to chase Holly down way too much. When she did attack she was off balance and Holly saw her coming from a mile away.

3. What shocked me the most is that Rhonda just couldn’t close the gap and force the fight to the ground. My son is a Royce Gracie student so we watch him, and that’s how he wins. You can’t go banging with Ken Shamrock and expect to win. You take it to the ground. Can’t believe Rhonda couldn’t do that.

4. Given all situations, I wondered if this fight was rigged. You had Rhonda acting weird beforehand, looking weak, acting weak, being unsportsman like, couldn’t even keep Holly in her signature hold, and the icing on the cake as at the end where Holly’s team said “we were supposed to win” then bragging about winning a ridiculous amount of money by betting on Holly. It’s like they knew the future and the fight was bad acting on Rhonda’s part.