SPL Tester ?

Fordman

No, due to the efficiency differences in the speakers, placement, where you sit, room anomalies (hope I got that word right!) etc. this really makes an SPL meter pretty much mandatory to get the levels "just right" or very close anyway. It helped me correct some of the problems with mine years ago. I thought I had the levels pretty close by ear, man was I off...........

Go get one of those meters!

Take care

Mike

This message has been edited by Mikekid on 08-22-2002 at 09:18 PM

MK, if it soudns different to have it set by meter and by your ear, I would almost say definetly go with your ear... music through YOUR speakers is supposed to sound good to YOU. Smile.gif My PM's are set to me... my dad comes in here and crankis all these volumes up... it bothers me...

Note, that may just be me.

------------------

SoundWise / <A HREF="maimailto:Promediatech@klispch.com">ProMedia Tech Support</A> / 1-888-554-5665s>

This message has been edited by trespasser_guy on 08-22-2002 at 08:55 PM

By using the meter, I was able to get it to sound right to me. The loud transients that at times are directed to certain speakers, are now at the correct levels as well. They don't get to rediculous volume levels due to mis-adjustment. Just worked out to sound MUCH better... and more accurate to me too!

Later

Mike

I too am in favor of a setting the levels by meter. I didn't notice too much difference in the fronts after they were dialed in, but my surrounds was a different story. I had tried to set my surrounds by ear and what I thought they shoud be compaired to the distance from the sweet spot. A guy came over and set everything for me. The first thing I noticed after they were set, was how much smoother the sound flowed from the fronts to the surrounds. cwm1.gif

------------------

m00nsCinema to be

the m00n system

FRONTS: RF-7

CENTER: RC-7

SURROUNDS: RS-7

SUB: RSW-12

RECEIVER: Harman Kardon AVR 520

DVD: Harman Kardon DVD-50(DD, DTS)

VIDEO: InFocus ScreenPlay DLP Projector

COMPUTER: ProMedia 4.1

c>Microsoft XBOXc>

f>

I don't see the importance of one really, since it's really what sounds best that matters, not what is supposed to sound best, but actually doesn't to your ears. The only reason I bought mine was to show the next door neibors that I was within the city SPL limit.

------------------

-the forum prowler

Sound Engineers usually mix multichannel tracks to a specific volume for each channel, which helps to enhance the effects in the movie. If your channels are not set correctly, then the overall effects intended are not acheived.

So using an improperly calibrated system, you are most likely not hearing film soundtracks the way filmmakers and engineers intended. Thus, you are not getting the most out of your home-theater system. With a properly adjusted system all speakers work in harmony.

Wes

------------------

KLIPSCH IS MUSICf>

My Systems f>s>c>

The reciever is not telling what the levels are in the room. For that you need the RS SPL meter:

Despite its inaccuracies at the very lowest and highest notes of the musical range, the ubiquitous $40 analog Radio Shack (RS) sound pressure level (SPL) meter (cat.no.33-2050) is an inexpensive and invaluable tool for all tweaking audiophiles. You can not see what your ears are hearing without it.

This palm size device and a Test CD with individual frequency tones and specific instrument recordings are essential for measuring and judging sound levels and qualities in your listening room. The RS SPL meter is an indispensable aid for optimizing loudspeaker, sub-woofer and listening positions. It allows tweaking audiophiles to quickly measure sound levels to ensure they are getting a smooth transition from one music region to the next.

It tells you what your system and room sound like. If you are already pushing, or pulling, that thing here, or there, to tweak this or that, use of the RS SPL meter will only confirm what it is that you already know! If your room is bright, for example, and you have been tweaking things to resolve this high end sharpness in the sound, the meter will confirm that suspicion and zero you in on possible, and measurable, solutions.

In many ways the lower cost analog RS meter is better deal than the digital meter RS offers. The readout needle bounces higher (in fractions of a dB, while the digital meter only reads to the nearest dB) and the analog needle bounces provides more emotional information about the pace and range of a music signal. Plus, unless you change equipment or rooms or audition HT components frequently, who knows how often you will use it. The analog RS SPL meter may roll off the bass readings somewhere around 35Hz and the treble at about 10kHz, so take their readings at the extreme ends of the music range with a grain of salt.

It is truly an essential tweaking audiophile tool and toy.

------------------

Colin's Music System Ak-2 Khorns & Klipsch subs; lights out, tubes glowing & smile beaming!

Notes from the peanut gallery. (AKA cluless). I originally adjusted my system by ear, and I thought I had it rocking. Coupla weeks later, after noticing a "gap on the front end effects" on some movies, I went out and bought a ratometer. I put a little stool in my chair, and set the ratometer at pre-coma head level and SUPRISE the front right speaker was off by about 2db.

I Adjusted the levels with the receiver, and Yipppe-Kay-Yeeeaaa, smooth transition....

Not to mention the fact that once you calibrate your system, and know your "numbers", you have a point of reference for detecting/isolating future problems.

Bottom line - Buy an analog SPL meter (ratometer), read the directions (and some of the endless postings regarding usage, and appropriate calibration levels), position it "head level" at your primary listening spot and get the sound level equal from all speaks.

This message has been edited by cluless on 08-25-2002 at 07:13 PM

I don't know if it was pure luck or I have gifted ears (must likely the former), but I originally adjusted my system "by ear" and thought it sounded good. When I finally got a "Rat-o-Meter" and checked my system, to my surprise, I had the thing adjusted "dead-on" across all six speaker channels! However, I did had to adjust my sub down a db, but that was it. At least now I "know" my system is adjusted correctly. To make a long story short, I also agree with the others that an SPL is a must have. Hell, you just got done spending a couple $1000s of dollars on a new HT, might as well spend the extra $35 for the SPL meter so you know you have it setup correctly.

To take it a little further, if you don't already have one, an extra $12 for a cheap laser pointer is also a plus. You can use it to help aim your speakers to the sweet spot. This is a nice little tip I picked up from HornED.

------------------

Steven Konopa

Fredericksburg, VA

Denon AVR3802 (Receiver)

RF-7 (Fronts)

RC-7 (Center)

RC-7 (Rear)

RS-7 (A Surrounds)

Infinity RS2000.5 (B Surrounds - recycled)

REL Storm III (Subwoofer 1)

Yamaha YST-SW40 (Subwoofer 2 - Recycled)

JVC XV-S65GD (DVD)

Sharp DX-200 (CD - ancient)

RCA DWD490RE (DirecTV/Ultimate TV receiver)

Sharp 32 inch (TV)