Next Best after RF-7 ii?

ClintonH

What would be the next best Reference model to the RF-7ii's? Out of all the models out there new or used? I want to upgrade my front stage which is currently RF-35's and RC-35, bought those when they were first brought out.

100% HT

Can't fit the RF-7ii's in the space I have and $4400 for 2 speakers is a no go with the wife. :/

Best is a tough one to define.

I happen to think the RF-63's are about the most musical of the bunch but some may think otherwise.  RF-83's trump the 63's for HT but when it comes to accuracy with music, I think the 63's have the edge.  Some prefer the original RF-7's for HT over all Reference speakers produced.  Some think the RF-7II's are best of all worlds.

See what I mean, "best" is hard to define.

Bill

• Like 1

Best is a tough one to define.

I happen to think the RF-63's are about the most musical of the bunch but some may think otherwise.  RF-83's trump the 63's for HT but when it comes to accuracy with music, I think the 63's have the edge.  Some prefer the original RF-7's for HT over all Reference speakers produced.  Some think the RF-7II's are best of all worlds.

See what I mean, "best" is hard to define.

Bill

Sorry, yes bad term to use I guess.

I guess I mean what is your opinion (whoever answers) the next best for Home theater after the RF-7ii's. I reely liked them and I am sure they would be fantastic, just too large for my space and the $4400 for 2 fronts and $1750 for a center to match would be never pass the wifes OK. ;)

Honestly, you can't go up much higher than your current RF-35s.

I personally think your only significant moves would be to some new RP-280f's or RF-83s.

The RF-82 is hardly an upgrade at all. I'd actually consider it a slight downgrade.

So the RF-35's are on pare with the 82's and 82 II's ?

Any better center channel to match with the 35's? The RC-35 is to me very limited. I talked to you about this, RC-7 right. ;)

Are the new RP-280f's good for HT, big soundstage? I can't even listen to those without ordering them in $1800 for the pair, 20% restocking fee if I don't like them. :/ Sucks to be in Canada.

Edited by ClintonH

???

Where are you at? You should be able to get RF-7ii's for less than $3k.

Anyway, second best Reference models would be the Original RF-7s and the RF-83s.

If you want new speakers, it would be the RP-280f.

Canada. Best price in town is $4400 plus tax for 2 RF-7ii and $1750 plus tax for a RC-64.

pair of RP-280F are $1800 plus tax. RP-450C $900 plus tax

• Like 1

Oh, Canada. I see.

Yes, the RF-35 is on the same level as the RF-82s.

You may just consider upgrading the center. I've heard from others that the RC-35 is less than stellar. I'm a 2-channel guy, so I don't have much experience with centers.

You could try for an RC-7!

How much is $1,800 in Canadian currency compared to the US dollar?

Currently about $1360 ish, it's not a bad price. About $2150 USD for the front 3 RF series after taxes. Would be nice to be able to at least hear them. How much different are they form the RP-260F? Those are a stocing item.

• Like 1

I haven't heard the rp-260fs, I have the 280f's and I think they're great, so the 260fs wouldn't sound much different I would think. I have the rp-450c as a center and i use my rf-82iis as side surrounds and I'm very happy with my set up.I feel the new reference premier line is great for home theater and music both. I like the veneer better on the older rf series but acoustically the new line is better imo

If the RF 7 II's are to large, a lot of the suggested speakers are also large and may not pass the WAF.    Ever consider some bookshelf Palladium?  There are other kick butt  bookshelf systems that can be put together.

Hmm good call on the size of the RP-280F, didn't realise it was that deep. Width isn't a issue with that one it's only 1" wider than the RF-35's I currently have, but 4" deeper might be a issue. I'll have to check.

Not looking at going bookshelf already have RF-35's, we can't get the Palladiums here anyway.

Edited by ClintonH
  • Like 1

Sounds like RF-63s may be your only option if you can't go bigger and don't want to go smaller.

Don't sell those RF-35s short. Like I said earlier, you're pretty much right at the top.

What kind of electronics are you running them with? Maybe that's the area that you can do some upgrading. If you're running a receiver, maybe upgrade to a nice surround preamp and a nice outboard amp?

If the RF 7 II's are to large, a lot of the suggested speakers are also large

This is true.  Looking at another rear ported large tower wouldn't make much sense.  

But, I don't see why it wouldn't fit.  You're only looking at 1.5" deeper than your current speakers.  Surely space isn't that tight.  

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters