La Scala's back in the house *EDIT*

Matthews

This pair is in a little better shape than the last pair I brought home -LOL-  Probably should have been made to sleep in the dog houses of the last ones for even wanting to bring em' in the house. 

Upon further investigation, this pair is nearly JUNK -edit-  the thought of just throwing them into the fire pit is becoming more and more enticing.

post-36834-0-34480000-1451157882_thumb.jpost-36834-0-53640000-1451157889_thumb.jpost-36834-0-93080000-1451157896_thumb.j

Have a lot to do to make these guys presentable.  Most likely be Spring time before they are done.  Fun Winter project...  

I really don't know why or what I get myself into sometimes ???

Edited by Matthews
  • Like 2

This pair is in a little better shape than the last pair I brought home -LOL-  Probably should have been made to sleep in the dog houses of the last ones for even wanting to bring em' in the house :P

The scoop:

I pair of complete, stock and fully functioning La Scala.  They are beaters but I have seen much worse. $750

I pair of B&K Sound crossovers, like new. $200

attachicon.gif1.jpgattachicon.gif2.jpgattachicon.gif3.jpg

Have a lot to do to make these guys presentable.  Most likely be Spring time before they are done.  Fun Winter project...  

I really don't know why or what I get myself into sometimes ???

Seems I should be hanging out with you for speaker deals.

• Like 1

Yes, had a recent run on some of my speakers (Klipsch and Infinity).  Now need to sell the 20s and 10s, plus the C7.  May be adding my KG 2.2s  and the 2.2V (matching center).

Sorry, Matt, got confused . . . . normally do not respond to other people's mail.

Edited by JiminSTL
  • Like 1

a little bit of crud removed...  Cabinets are MUCH WORSE than I had previously thought. 

post-36834-0-16760000-1451173895_thumb.j

I need some help with the horns, please?

post-36834-0-41280000-1451173888_thumb.j

These Scala's came with different horn lenses.  They DO NOT match.  Both K-400 but I suspect different year or something.  One of them has a horrible seam running right down the middle of the sides. 

Does anyone have a K-400 that does not have that seam?  I am going to be putting in a tremendous amount of work on these and want them to look fantastic.  That seam is unacceptable :(

anyone, anyone ???

or even perhaps a pair of K-401's?

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

• Like 1

This La Scala find turns more and more disappointing at every turn of the head.  Not only are the K-400 horns mismatched, the WRONG woofers are installed !!!   ARRRGH!!! :angry:

please tell me what this means?  The La Scala calls for a 4 ohm woofer.  I find today that the woofers that came with these are 8 ohm and perhaps not even Klipsch.

post-36834-0-96480000-1451249377_thumb.jpost-36834-0-40600000-1451249385_thumb.j

This project is turning out to be a very tough, lesson learned!!!

a little bit of crud removed...  Cabinets are MUCH WORSE than I had previously thought. 

attachicon.gif5.jpg

I need some help with the horns, please?

attachicon.gif4.jpg

These Scala's came with different horn lenses.  They DO NOT match.  Both K-400 but I suspect different year or something.  One of them has a horrible seam running right down the middle of the sides. 

Does anyone have a K-400 that does not have that seam?  I am going to be putting in a tremendous amount of work on these and want them to look fantastic.  That seam is unacceptable :(

anyone, anyone ???

or even perhaps a pair of K-401's?

Thanks,

Matt ♪ ♫ ♪

I know where one can be had, but

IT'S GONNA COST YOU! LOL LOL

Mark

• Like 2

This La Scala find turns more and more disappointing at every turn of the head.  Not only are the K-400 horns mismatched, the WRONG woofers are installed !!!   ARRRGH!!! :angry:

please tell me what this means?  The La Scala calls for a 4 ohm woofer.  I find today that the woofers that came with these are 8 ohm and perhaps not even Klipsch.

attachicon.gif7 (Medium).jpgattachicon.gif8 (Medium).jpg

Are you sure those aren't the round K-33 woofer Matt?

Mark

Are you sure those aren't the round K-33 woofer Matt?

Mark

Disregard, I didn't see the woofers being what they are

Mark

• Like 1

From this pic, they look like round K-33s

Mark

Those cabinets aren't in that bad of shape. I got a pair with an EV 8HD horn and a piezo tweeter in each. And the woofers were an 8 ohm with all the wrong T/S parameters (I emailed Eminence and they sent the specs back for what I had. You could do the same.

Do they have Klipsch stickers on the back? Or the SN stamped into the edge in the back? If they are you can get the composite K401 horns from Klipsch at a very reasonable price.

Mine even had some JBL 800Hz crossovers in them. I know most of it wasn't correct, but them I only paid $100. It would have been hard to build the cabinets for that.

Bruce

• Like 1

I like your project Matt, but it looks like those need one of everything!

Regarding the K-400, those things on Ebay are expensive!  I realize what I am about to say is heresy (ahem) but doesn't someone make a clone or knockoff you can get cheaper?  Something from Parts-Express maybe?