Rear/Surround speaker

RX8

I am happy with my RP 160M's and RP 250C. I have an SB-2000 on the way. Need to compliment with rear speakers. What are some cost effective options? System used for movies.and music.

Leaning towards a mono vs bipolar and would like to hear your input. I have seen some used options locally such as RB 41 for $150 and an KS 14 for $50. Or, would it be best to buy RP 150M's for the rear? For $50, would the KS be a decent match for sides in a 7.1?

Thanks in advance.

What are some cost effective options?

Used. RS-3, 25, 35's or 41, 42, 52, or even 62.

Or, would it be best to buy RP 150M's for the rear?

As mentioned by Scrappy, they're not ideal for surround due to the fact that they're rear ported. If you want to go the route of a monopole for surround, you'll want front porting - ala RB-25, 35, 61, or 81.

For $50, would the KS be a decent match for sides in a 7.1?

It would be a dreadful "match".

Edited by IbizaFlame

I am happy with my RP 160M's and RP 250C. I have an SB-2000 on the way. Need to compliment with rear speakers. What are some cost effective options? System used for movies.and music.

Leaning towards a mono vs bipolar and would like to hear your input. I have seen some used options locally such as RB 41 for $150 and an KS 14 for $50. Or, would it be best to buy RP 150M's for the rear? For $50, would the KS be a decent match for sides in a 7.1?

Thanks in advance.

What are some cost effective options?

You have had some great input on that. There is nothing I can add.

...would it be best to buy RP 150M's for the rear?

Sure would. That doesn't mean the alternatives above wouldn't be great. Best = the engineered matching surrounds. Frankly, with surrounds best is seldom what is necessarily recommended.  

For $50, would the KS be a decent match for sides in a 7.1?

Not in my opinion. Those are not efficient enough and cannot handle the power to keep up with the rest of your speakers. At the saturated 50 watts of the KS-14, the 100-125 watt center and mains would be idling at 8 watts each.
Edited by mustang guy

W have a somewhat similar setup, including a SB-2000 that was delivered lask week.

I would save up and get the matching RP surrounds to complete the set. If you compromise, you will get a major case of the "what if's" and you will end up buying the correct surrounds anyway. Then you will be out the cost of the speakers you compromised on AND the ones you should have orderedin the first.

If I would have taken this advise when I first started this journey,I would have probably saved well over $10k. Haha!

Thanks for all the ideas.  I am keeping an eye on Craigslist as well as some other local selling sites.

A question about the RP 150M.  This is rear ported but has a keyhole bracket.  Why would Klipsch include a keyhole bracket if it should not be mounted against a wall?  If mounted, how does this affect performance considering that a sub is being used?

Thanks

For surround, matching series Klipsch surround will be a good choice.  These will also work for rears in a 7.X.  I have use direct radiators for rear and surround, not much difference except if the rear is a large tower.  A rear tower will have more bass but, if using a sub, it is not worth it IMHO.  Just a quick comment on the KS, I used a VS 14 from the old Icon line with my RF 7's and to my surprise, the VS was fine unless I turned things up to reference and then it was just a bit behind the RF7/RC 64.  The point is, as a surround, it does not need the power handling capabilities of the front three.

I'll tell you exactly why there is a keyhole on a rear ported speaker. Cause Klipsch engineers didn't quite think that through all the way. To me it shows a bit of a lack of attention to detail and that is why I personally think the RP series was a step backwards in every aspect except aesthetics. If I were gonna put them on a wall I would probably try and get a shelf or a speaker mount so they could remain a couple inches out and have room to breathe.

They should have provided a foam insert of some sort that would have allowed them to be treated as a sealed speaker so you could mount them.

Thanks for all the ideas.  I am keeping an eye on Craigslist as well as some other local selling sites.

A question about the RP 150M.  This is rear ported but has a keyhole bracket.  Why would Klipsch include a keyhole bracket if it should not be mounted against a wall?  If mounted, how does this affect performance considering that a sub is being used?

Thanks

I wonder if there is a way to bottom port the speaker if you wall hang it. The bottom needs to come off anyway. Move port to bottom and screw in the included plate over the rear port hole.

It seems obvious that the wall hanging slot was put in after the speaker development was done. Imaging how many people will look at the back of these speakers and without even knowing what the port is for saying something like, "Hey, all we need is a screw in a stud to hang this speaker. That would be a snap..."

Edited by mustang guy

Still no surrounds, no rush as I know I'll find the right ones eventually. I did get the SB-2000 and can say it is plenty powerful enough even for my somewhat larger basement. Can feel it in the chest, still playing with it to find the right balance. Didn't do a sub crawl (sitting up front left corner). There is a small bathroom at the rear of the room. Strangely, the bass has extra punch in the bathroom. I can relax and listen to the music there. My wife thinks I spend too much time in the bathroom anyway. :)

I have some cheap Bose 100 set up as surrounds for the time being. I know that they are not nearly as efficient as the RPs. They are rated "4 to 8 ohms". Other than sound quality, do I need to be worried about using these with my Yamaha TSR 5790 (essentially a RXV 579)?

• 4 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat right now. I'm looking to complete my setup with some surrounds. Like the OP, I'm looking for some cost-effective options.

So far, I've browsed thru my local CL and came across Klipsch quintet v complete set NIB for 200 and a pair of r-14ms in excellent condition for 175. Thoughts?

Edited by felipe

The quintets are a fair price considering what you get. The R-14's are priced high for what you get though. Much better deals to be had out there than that.

Though, for a few hundred dollars more, and some patience, you could probably find a full 5.0 setup of legit Reference gear on CL.

Edited by IbizaFlame