Pay Those Student Loans or Else....

derrickdj1

I never took a student loan, I worked and paid as I went1

My wife went back and got her bachelors since I have been on this forum. She worked full time at the hospital, three days a week at a second job running a doctors office, took care of me and two young kids, and took 18 credit hours to boot!

I have no sympathies for dead beats, it is a weakness, a character flaw, and they deserve what they get.

somebody here wrote that maybe he forgot? Letting that even be a possibility speaks volumes of bad for you in my book.

I'm with Keith on this one.

Roger

• Like 2

The country that jails its Citizens because of character flaws and a populace that supports it is destined for a quick demise.

It could be argued that murder is a character flaw.

I am tired of people whining about being picked on for doing the wrong thing.

Oh, and by the way...,. Many countries have been around a lot longer than ours tht would just cut your hand off...

roger

A country that jails its Citizens because of character flaws and a populace that supports it is destined for a quick demise.

There would be few people NOT in jail.

This is very true Carl.

I don't think jail is the answer.

We need to do away with government assistance as it now stands for healthy adults.

Automatically garnish wages and public shaming might work better.

Sink or swim.

roger

In the context of this thread the 'character flaw' isn't a murderer. It's a debt forgotten (I'll take the gentlemen at his word until proven otherwise). BTW, we've failed to mention that there might be a statute of limitation on debt?

Countries that cut off your hands are not democracies. Would you want to live in one of those?

Let's hope that at some point in the future something you do wrong or accidentally doesn't have federal marshals knocking on your door. Are you 100% sure you've returned all those library books you checked out? I'd hate to see you whine on the forums about it.

Edited by Bella
  • Like 1

Don't go to the library, sorry to bust that bubble.

Democracy or not, people in this country are showing the signs of several generations of a lack of parenting where mothers especially want to be their kids friend instead of a parent.

if the parents wont teach a person right from wrong, the government will have too.

I am willing to bet that you would be crying a different tune if the $1500 dollars he forgot to pay just happened to belong to you! but how could he possibly forget that he owed "YOU" money?

Roger

The library book reference was meant lightheartedly.

I agree that as a Nation we are failing in a number of fronts. Including parenting. Perhaps this man's parents never taught him the value of character. I don't have the details other than what the story gave me.

If the money was owed to me and he breached a contract I would handle it through available remedies. I certainly wouldn't take as many years as this has taken. And again, it seems to be beyond a logical statute of limitations for the plaintiff to have any rights in the matter, much less have the man arrested.

• Like 1

If someone borrows $1500 or more, they don't forget that they owe it.  They hope that the person or entity that loaned it to them forgets about it.  The punishment does need to fit the crime however.

totally agree with this ^^^^^^^^

As previously stated, this country's jails are entirely to full and we are paying for it.

I am working in a prison presently with under 3,000 inmates and the prescriptions alone are over $1,000,000 a month that you and I are paying for.

We as a country, need to learn from the good sheriff of Maricopa county and make inmates do forced labor to pay for their own incarceration.

Roger

• Like 1

what a shameful place we often live in.   I'm of the belief that jail should ONLY be for violent offenders.  Surely we're smart enough to think of other ways to punish non-violent offenders. Pick up litter for minimum wage until you've paid off your debt; or in Bernie Madoff's case, the rest of your life plus 83 years.

How are you going to secure performance without putting them in captivity?  What if they refuse?

There are a lot less in grant money for college student and that forces more loan.  States may need to shoulder some the blame.  Every President states he is for higher education in the nation but, few had did anything more than lip service.  A nation that does not see investing in it's future will fall behind in tech, agriculture, manufacturing, ect.

• Like 2

what a shameful place we often live in.   I'm of the belief that jail should ONLY be for violent offenders.  Surely we're smart enough to think of other ways to punish non-violent offenders. Pick up litter for minimum wage until you've paid off your debt; or in Bernie Madoff's case, the rest of your life plus 83 years.

How are you going to secure performance without putting them in captivity?  What if they refuse?

The main problem as I see it Jeff is that Jails / prisons are way to nice a place to be for some. they have a right to have TV....Really??

If inmates were forced to work to help pay for their stay, a lot less of them would be willing to stay.

Roger

• Like 1

execution i guess.  Not really, I want to say that they'd be happy to participate instead of going to jail; but, i know that isn't going to be the case 100% of the time; and without the threat of incarceration the motivation to voluntarily comply could be an issue.  

I'm really just an idea guy -- i don't actually make the stuff happen  :D

• Like 1

There are a lot less in grant money for college student and that forces more loan.  States may need to shoulder some the blame.  Every President states he is for higher education in the nation but, few had did anything more than lip service.  A nation that does not see investing in it's future will fall behind in tech, agriculture, manufacturing, ect.

Investing in higher education?? What a joke!

Have you looked at common core??

When was the last time you saw a High school with a real chem Lab??

How about even a High school with Wood Shop from 7th grade on?

Our fundamentals have gone to heII and need fixed first!

Roger

• Like 1

To my knowledge, there is no law permitting the state to incarcerate anyone for non-payment of student loans or failure to answer and appear in civil proceedings.  As mentioned above, the creditor's remedy for failure to appear and answer is to get a default judgment against the debtor.

The article is not detailed enough to know what supports the arrest, but if I had to guess, judgments were already rendered against the defendants, and they refused to comply with post-judgment discovery in aid of collection.

Creditors are entitled to make requests to judgment debtors for information concerning their income and assets.  These requests are called "post-judgment discovery."  If you refuse to comply, the court can issue an order compelling you to comply.  If you continue to refuse, you can be held in contempt and incarcerated.

• Like 1

So far, this hasn't come up: Retaliatory Crimes

A good many people in the USA believe that the "banksters" committed a trillion dollar fraud on the nation. Further, said banksters were never directly punished and won't be. Further, that the best resolution is to steal back from the banksters in any way possible. Now, I'm not saying anyone should think they will get away with stiffing their lender, but as an "attitude" it might be part of why they let it go just hoping it would not come back. 

I am reminded of the hundreds of thousands of people who dropped their house keys at the bank and simply said "Adios" to their mortgage.

The term usually applied here "moral hazard."

Edited by jo56steph74